The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Mar 08, 2009, 04:56pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDUB View Post
Getting hit with even a basketball that was thrown hard is no where near as bad as getting hit with a line drive batted ball.
You have obviously never been hit with a basketball have you or had bodies flying at you in a close area or had to stand near a pile in a football game when players are flying up at you.

If you get hit by a baseball, it is over 60 feet away from you on the bases and sometimes further away. I have only been hit one time from a baseball in 13 years of working baseball. I have been hit many times with a basketball that has been tipped and comes your way without much warning or distance. If I can get by with out wearing a cup in two sports where contact with the ball or players are much more common, I think I will be OK without one on the baseball field and I can at least see the ball coming.

Peace
Old Sun Mar 08, 2009, 05:49pm
Official Forum Member

Okay...those of you who feel the need to wear a cup, wear one. Those who do not, don't.

Do y'all really need to continue to try persuade others that your position is the correct one? Over this? Really?

Reminds me of the joker that PM'd me trying to stir the pot and now just won't quit with his "follow-ups."
Old Sun Mar 08, 2009, 11:49pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ump153 View Post
Okay...those of you who feel the need to wear a cup, wear one. Those who do not, don't.

Do y'all really need to continue to try persuade others that your position is the correct one? Over this? Really?

Reminds me of the joker that PM'd me trying to stir the pot and now just won't quit with his "follow-ups."
I will only speak for me. I do not care what you do. This is a personal decision. I am not trying to convince anyone of anything. I just shared my opinion and that is pretty much it. What someone does or does not wear is up to them. Just like just about any other thing in umpiring.

Peace
Old Mon Mar 09, 2009, 12:17am
Official Forum Member

JR...
Obviously, you have never been hit directly in the playoffs!!
Old Mon Mar 09, 2009, 05:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
If I can get by with out wearing a cup in two sports where contact with the ball or players are much more common, I think I will be OK without one on the baseball field and I can at least see the ball coming.
I that you are more likely to get hit working football or basketball. The thing is taking a line drive to the groin in a baseball game is capable of causing serious heath problems; above there are stories of possible amputations. The chances of a basketball causing serious damage are a lot lower.

I've had a basketball thrown into my face and it wasn't really bad at all. Baseballs move faster and are harder. I assume that if someone had thrown a baseball and it had hit me in the face it would be been more painful.
Old Mon Mar 09, 2009, 05:52pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
I that you are more likely to get hit working football or basketball. The thing is taking a line drive to the groin in a baseball game is capable of causing serious heath problems; above there are stories of possible amputations. The chances of a basketball causing serious damage are a lot lower.
Getting hit by anything can cause a serious injury if you are hit properly in that area. I do not know why a basketball is the only threat of an injury. And in baseball the only real threat is probably the baseball. When bodies are all around you can easlily get kneed, kicked, ran into and that is not very common in baseball, espeically with two umpires and where you are located on the field. And that was not the point of why I said what I said.

Quote:
I've had a basketball thrown into my face and it wasn't really bad at all. Baseballs move faster and are harder. I assume that if someone had thrown a baseball and it had hit me in the face it would be been more painful.
If that is the case, I have had a baseball hit me on throws that were deflected, but those did not hurt.

The point is not what could or could not hurt the most. The point the likelihood of being hit on the bases (if you are in any kind of shape) is rare and not something most people would get hit straight on. And I have never worn a cup on the bases and I have been fine. I have been hit, ran into or made contact with players or the ball in other sports and I do not think wearing a cup is essential there either. And on the bases it is not like the ball is not easy to see or know it is coming. I have not even been hit in the "playoffs" behind the plate and I am a stationary figure. In baseball while working the bases, I am not a stationary figure and have plenty of room to move.

As I said before, if it makes you feel better, wear a cup. I do not care what you do. I just see it as another thing to worry about that I find personally unnecessary. It is not like I am going to check what you are doing. The same as I am not going to check for a catcher either.

Peace