The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Feb 27, 2009, 08:40pm
In Time Out

For you equipment junkies

For those who have bought more stuff than they need....but have settled on a favorite....knowing what you know now, if you had to buy one mask, which one would it be - and why? Please include specifics - brand, model, colors, etc.

Thank-you.

Hock9

p.s. A self-proclaimed mask junkie who can't make up his mind which one he likes the best. (Wilson single bar, Wilson titanium, All Star double bar, Gerry Davis super-light, gray, black, navy...)
Old Fri Feb 27, 2009, 09:01pm
Stop staring at me swan.

well, regardless of what anybody says on here...I'm going to see this spring if my new Titanium can replace my SUL as my favorite. I really like the SUL, took many, many shots...but sprung for the expensive Wilson mask...I want to really like the Wilson...I'm anxious to see the difference the lighter colored bars have on my plate game.
Old Fri Feb 27, 2009, 09:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hock9 View Post
For those who have bought more stuff than they need....but have settled on a favorite....knowing what you know now, if you had to buy one mask, which one would it be - and why? Please include specifics - brand, model, colors, etc.

Thank-you.

Hock9

p.s. A self-proclaimed mask junkie who can't make up his mind which one he likes the best. (Wilson single bar, Wilson titanium, All Star double bar, Gerry Davis super-light, gray, black, navy...)
Masks are probably the only thing I have more than I need. I have 4, all Honigs single bar lightweights, K91would be the model number now. I have 1 black, 1 navy, and 2 red. All have tan doeskin pads. I use the reds for HS ball with navy and red trim shirts. I use the navy when I can use light blue shirts in the summer (not approved for HS ball). I use black with cream color shirts for summer ball. The black and red have black harness, the navy has navy. I got the navy and red frames at closeout prices from Honigs and added the pads and harnesses. I am completely satisified with Honigs single bar lightweights with doeskin pads. I have taken quite a few shots to the mask and never missed the next pitch.
Old Fri Feb 27, 2009, 10:01pm
Stop staring at me swan.

now i have three masks...i have my 1st every mask an entry-level Diamond...heavier than heavy...defnitely could try to move that mask...to a beginner umpire or something...there's pretty much a 0% chance of me every using that mask again
Old Fri Feb 27, 2009, 11:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyg08 View Post
now i have three masks...i have my 1st every mask an entry-level Diamond...heavier than heavy...defnitely could try to move that mask...to a beginner umpire or something...there's pretty much a 0% chance of me every using that mask again
Still got my first mask. Don't think I'll ever get rid of it. An old Wilson double bar with vinyl pads. Heavy! and the pads are like bricks.

I haven't used this mask in years, but I have it on a shelf in my office.
Old Fri Feb 27, 2009, 11:34pm
Official Forum Member

The Wilson one. A bit heavy, but easy enough to remove, and the vision is fine. It does the trick. Looks better than the HSM's IMHO.
Old Sat Feb 28, 2009, 01:27am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hock9 View Post

Thank-you.

Hock9

I have had trouble settling on a mask as well. I currently have a Wilson Dyna Lite with Amara Suede Wrap Around pads. I contemplated getting a Honig's single bar mask with doeskin pads. In my experiences, I have noticed the Wilson frame is slightly heavier than the Honig's frame but the Honig's doeskin pads are heavier than the Amara wrap around pads - I loved the doeskin pads on an old All Star Double Bar mask frame I wore for several years but ditched that frame because I was concerned it was "too light." When I tried switching the Honig's pads on the Wilson frame I couldnt believe how heavy the mask was. After taking some getting used to - I think the Wilson Dyna Lite is the best "value" in both price and protection/durability. I really wish Wilson would still make the traditional squared off pads in black leather.

I am uneasy about spending around $200 on a titanium frame mask.

Last edited by mrm21711; Sat Feb 28, 2009 at 02:13am.
Old Sat Feb 28, 2009, 05:36pm
Official Forum Member

I had three masks until I bought Wilson Titanium last summer when it was $199. I immediately put my other three-Gray Wilson New-View, Black Wilson New-View and Blue Honig's single bar with Wilson Traditional style Doeskin pads up for sale. Now only one I ever want. So light, so comfortable. Looks great with everything.

Titanium is the only way to go for me.
"We are the stewards of baseball. Our "customers" aren't schools, or coaches, or conferences. Our customer is the game itself." Warren Wilson, quoted by Carl Childress, Officiating.com article, June 3, 2008.
Old Sat Feb 28, 2009, 10:57pm
Official Forum Member

Think of purchasing a mask as similar to purchasing a motorcycle helmet. In most cases you get the protection you pay for.
Old Sun Mar 01, 2009, 12:25am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aging_Arbiter View Post
Think of purchasing a mask as similar to purchasing a motorcycle helmet. In most cases you get the protection you pay for.
Im assuming you are referring to the Titanium mask being more protective than the standard Wilson Dyna-Lite because it is more expensive. If so, I have heard NOBODY make these claims who is knowledgeable on the subject - rather that the Titanium is lighter. In fact, we recently had somebody post that their Wilson Titanium suffered a bent bar from a ~90 mph fastball.
Old Mon Mar 02, 2009, 04:00pm
Official Forum Member

my .02

I am down to two.....and they are my favorites....

Black +POS lightweight single bar.....

Navy Honigs K91 single bar.............

Black mask with black, cream and Polo Bue with black collared shirts, Navy with Navy shirts....

Havent tried a titanium.........
Old Mon Mar 02, 2009, 04:12pm
Stop staring at me swan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrm21711 View Post
had somebody post that their Wilson Titanium suffered a bent bar from a ~90 mph fastball.
I bet you'd find a few masks of any type that get dented at 90 mph
Old Mon Mar 02, 2009, 11:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyg08 View Post
I bet you'd find a few masks of any type that get dented at 90 mph
I hope none of these masks are models the professional umpires use.
Old Tue Mar 03, 2009, 09:04am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cc6 View Post

Why would you say that? I'm "sure" that some of the masks are the models the professional umpires use, and I'm "sure" that professional umpires' masks get dented over the course of a season.
Old Tue Mar 03, 2009, 10:43am
Stop staring at me swan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cc6 View Post
Would you consider your car safe? Could a baseball dent your car? If so, it could dent a mask. A dent doesn't make a mask unsafe when it's purpose isn't not to dent, but to protect your face.