The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Mar 08, 2009, 12:35pm
Official Forum Member

Uniforms

I have asked a couple of times, buried in other threads, but does anyone have an authoritative reference as to uniforms, and who wears what , and when?
Old Sun Mar 08, 2009, 12:48pm
Official Forum Member

If the information is buried in other threads, which it most definitely is (and posted about as recently as the last week or two), why not read those threads and post in them?
Old Sun Mar 08, 2009, 01:01pm
Official Forum Member

Because I am looking for an answer to a question and don't particulalry care to follow the banter (your post here included) if order to get that answer. So if you don't have the answer, kindly refrain from posting your gibberish.
Old Sun Mar 08, 2009, 01:03pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to bobbybanaduck
your question sucks and doesn't make any sense. how's that for authoritative?
Old Sun Mar 08, 2009, 01:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aging_Arbiter View Post
I have asked a couple of times, buried in other threads, but does anyone have an authoritative reference as to uniforms, and who wears what , and when?
The authoritative reference is "it depends on where you live and which umpire association you work with".

Every group that I've ever worked with, had a different set of what was acceptable, how much leeway you have, and so forth.

I like to have a strict set of rules for groups that I'm in charge of, but I've worked with some that just didn't care, and it makes a huge difference IMO.

If you don't look in uniform, then it sticks out badly. All of the players are in uniform, all of the umpires should be in uniform.

Thanks
David
Old Sun Mar 08, 2009, 01:25pm
Official Forum Member

Very mature Bobby. So I guess there IS nothing that indicates that you have to "tuck in a windbreaker" or not.
Old Sun Mar 08, 2009, 01:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
So I guess there IS nothing that indicates that you have to "tuck in a windbreaker" or not.
To be honest, not really. Lots of the ticky-tack uniform questions can be answered by "When in Rome.........."
Old Sun Mar 08, 2009, 01:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Very mature Bobby. So I guess there IS nothing that indicates that you have to "tuck in a windbreaker" or not.
That's not true, however this is no one "authoritative reference" and you knew that when you asked the question, hence Mr. Bandaducks reply.

In the case of amatuers, local associations provide guidance. In the pros, PBUC and MLB provide guidance.

I have authoritative reference from my association for HS games and from my assignor for college games. Neither, however, would apply to you.

Do what your local groups feels is appropriate. Or, do what you feel is appropriate. I guarantee that no one here gives a rip.
Old Sun Mar 08, 2009, 02:29pm
Official Forum Member

Talking Ex. Patent Leather

Most folks don't take a shine too it in parts of these woods. Much of the time, you are left to decide for yourself if a shine is really needed. Good luck with those tough decisions. There are no set standards. Of course, you'll hear it if you make the wrong choice. Most men are not looking for a reason to wear a patent leather belt. I've shined enough shoes to last me a lifetime. In the military you shine your shoes for a parade. You don't shine them while on manoeuvres. So I just don't get hung up over the whole fashionable wardrobe dilemma.

Last edited by SAump; Sun Mar 08, 2009 at 02:49pm.
Old Sun Mar 08, 2009, 06:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Now if you had asked that to start the thread....

And I don't like the tucked in look, but if the umpires in your area do it, and it's that big a deal to your association, go along with it.
Old Sun Mar 08, 2009, 11:12pm
Official Forum Member

If you ask any uniform questions you may have in this thread, people should be able to give you a response. Whether they resort to insults instead is hard to control. I think that for most uniform things, it depends on the association. Baseball Canada goes with red underneath black, but I've seen white under black as well. I'd assume that either black or white goes under red. There are so many different shirt vendors and colours out there that the main thing is to match your partner.
Old Sun Mar 08, 2009, 11:32pm
Official Forum Member

Here's the uniform code for one umpiring association (the format doesn't copy over very well, but it's readable):

Your Cap:
Your cap must be fitted and preferably not made of a mesh material.
Your cap's color is to match the color of your uniform shirt.
Your cap should always be clean.
Your cap should show no fading or fraying or other signs of extended wear.
Your cap's crown should be creased.

Your Uniform Shirt:
Your shirt should be clean and wrinkle-free.
Your shirt should be free of snags, fading or other signs of extended wear.
Your shirt should not be constructed of the outdated dazzle material.
Your shirt should be properly sized for work either behind the plate or on the bases.
Your shirt should be worn neatly tucked into your slacks.
Your shirt's color must always match the color worn by the other crew member(s).
Standard Colors: Black with White pinstripe collar and sleeve trim; Light Blue with Black and Light Blue collar and sleeve trim (MLB Blue); Light Blue with Navy & White collar and sleeve trim (H.S. Blue); Navy with Scarlet & White Collar and sleeve trim; Cream with Black pinstripe collar and sleeve trim; White with Navy and Scarlet Collar and sleeve trim.

Your Undershirt:
Your undershirt should be a crew neck or mock neck style in a color matching the darkest color of your uniform shirt's collar trim.
A mock neck style undershirt should be worn under a jacket or long-sleeve uniform shirt.
A long-sleeve undershirt can be worn under a jacket or long-sleeve uniform shirt.
Your undershirt's sleeves should never show from under your uniform shirt.
Standard Undershirt Colors: Black, Navy, Scarlet, White.

Your Jacket:
Your jacket should be a microfiber quarter-zip pullover with elastic sleeve inserts, or with a thin piping across the chest and elastic side inserts.
Your jacket can be worn tucked into your slacks. (Not required.)
Your jacket's color and trim design must always match that of the other crew member(s).
Standard Colors: Black with White inserts, Navy with Scarlet and White inserts, Navy with Powder Blue inserts

Your Slacks:
Your slacks should be industry standard umpire slacks.
Your slacks should fit your waist and not appear overstuffed, nor should they fit so loosely that there is bunching at the waist.
You must wear slacks for work behind the plate that accommodate your leg guards without any visible knee plates.
Your slacks should be clean and wrinkle-free, with a razor-sharp crease front and back.
Your slacks should be tailored to fall over your shoe tops, but must not drag on the ground.
Standard Colors: Charcoal Gray; Heather Gray. The color should match that of the other crew members.

Your Belt:
Umpire standard 1 ¾-inch leather belt with square chrome buckle.
Your belt should be properly sized so that it does not appear to be pulled too tight.
Your belt should be shiny and free of cracks. (High-gloss patent leather not required.)

Your Ball Bags:
Your ball bags should be professional cloth style with two wide tunnel loops that accommodate a 1 ¾ inch belt.
You may choose to wear one ball bag or two.
You may choose to carry your plate brush, stopwatch, indicator and lineup card holder in the style with special pockets for those items.
Your ball bags should always be clean and wrinkle-free, and should be replaced if they show excess wear or fading.
Standard colors: Black or Navy (Gray ball bags to match the slacks are also acceptable)

Your Shoes:
Your plate shoes must be industry standard with a hard plastic or steel toe box and a hard plastic or hard leather reinforced instep flap.
Your base shoes should be all-black umpire or referee turf shoes.
Your shoes should always be cleaned and shined before every game.
Your shoes may be of a high-gloss patent leather finish.
Your shoes should be virtually free of white logos or designs.
Old Sun Mar 08, 2009, 11:34pm
Official Forum Member

And that's the only time I have seen it all in print like that. So, no, there's no standard reference.
Old Sun Mar 08, 2009, 11:48pm
Official Forum Member

Considering:

Quote:
Your shirt's color must always match the color worn by the other crew member(s). Standard Colors: Black with White pinstripe collar and sleeve trim; Light Blue with Black and Light Blue collar and sleeve trim (MLB Blue); Light Blue with Navy & White collar and sleeve trim (H.S. Blue); Navy with Scarlet & White Collar and sleeve trim; Cream with Black pinstripe collar and sleeve trim; White with Navy and Scarlet Collar and sleeve trim.
and,

Quote:
Your cap's color is to match the color of your uniform shirt.
I wonder where that association finds light blue, cream and white umpire caps.
Old Sun Mar 08, 2009, 11:58pm
Do not give a damn!!

What people wear (especially in baseball) is so subjective and varies from one place to another; it is really hard to list all the things. For example, some people like to "box" their hat. I think it personally looks stupid, so I do not box my hat. I have never been hurt by not doing so. My hats are not thrown in a box and it works for me. I really think if you want to know what is acceptable, ask or observe umpires in your area and do what they do. There is no "one size fits all" answer to this issue.

Peace
Closed Thread