Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jun 14, 2002, 11:30am
Official Forum Member

Re: OK,

Quote:
Originally posted by Tim C
The definition of "Getting Old", as an umpire, is that when working a high school game, you no longer notice the high school girls, you instead notice the GLM's.

So Sad!
sad but true! I have to admit also....

GLM is part of the calculation for batting average when drafting kids on our teams also.
Old Fri Jun 14, 2002, 11:30am
Official Forum Member

If you don't notice the high school girls, especially these days with the way they dress, you're not old, you're dead!
Old Fri Jun 14, 2002, 11:35am
Official Forum Member

But Dave - we used to just notice the HS girls. Now the next thought is "how much jail time would I get?"
Old Fri Jun 14, 2002, 11:40am
Official Forum Member

Based upon how this discussion ended up, I think all of us have just qualified as DOM's. Im proud of that.
Old Fri Jun 14, 2002, 12:52pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks to all who replied on Tie" goes to runner...helped settle an argument between this umpire who knows,and wife and child who has listened to too many voiceful fans,and TV broadcasters...
Old Fri Jun 14, 2002, 12:56pm
Official Forum Member

Angry

In the event that a runner is touching a base as he is being attempted to be retired(i.e., a tie) there is never a safe call. The rule says that the runner has to touch the bag BEFORE he or the bag is touched, whatever scenario applies, to be called safe. If it is a "tie", then he did not beat the throw or tag...therefore...OUT! JT
Old Fri Jun 14, 2002, 01:03pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs down Careful. You're only 3/4 correct.

Careful there, Sooner. Your discussion isn't valid for a BR going to 1st base. He (or the bag) needs to be tagged BEFORE reaching the base. You're correct for the rest of the bases or if R1 is returning to the base.

Jerry
Old Sun Jun 16, 2002, 12:32am
Official Forum Member

Originally posted by mwoods

Is and in what rule book does it have the rule, "A tie goes to the runner?

As others mentioned there is no rule, but here's a rule of thumb.

If the defense makes a great play, (ie; F6 makes a great play in the hole) and it's real close at first give benefit of doubt to defense and record the out, however,

If the defense doesn't field ball cleanly or the player is lazy on a routine ball, and B1 is busting it out down the first base line, then give benefit of doubt to offense. In other words, reward a good play either way.

Pete Booth
Old Tue Jun 18, 2002, 10:32am
Official Forum Member

The batter going to first is not a force per the force definition, thus there are separate rules for the batter and the other runners.

The rule for the batter at first is 6.05(j) "Tie" to runner.

The rule for forced runners is 7.08(e) "Tie" to fielder.
Old Tue Jun 18, 2002, 11:00pm
Official Forum Member

So why dont you go back in time and write the rules the way YOU want them to read.

When are people going to understand that we are dealing with human beings. WE AINT PERFECT. This sickness in sports that everything has to perfect in officiating is ruining the games. And that is what they are, GAMES. When are they gonna make a perfect batter? Last I heard 300 was a good average. Heck, thats subpar for almost everthing else in life. The computer age has made us realize that we can now divide a number into infinite parts and therefore we belive that exactness is necessary in everthing we do.

Dont get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with change and improvements in sports and everything else, it is necessary. However,lets keep things in perspective. Next thing you know we will have electronic devices to tell if the runner was really out or safe. How about instant replay!

When the everything becomes perfect, then we will do perfect thing. Not before.
Old Wed Jun 19, 2002, 10:14am
Official Forum Member

Tying?!

Are you tying?!

ARE YOU TYING?!

There's no tying!

There's no tying in Baseball!

Repeat after me fellow umpires: "There's no such thing as tie coach". Life will be so much easier for you.

Kyle
Old Wed Jun 19, 2002, 11:53pm
Official Forum Member

Talking Re: Tying?!

Quote:
Originally posted by kylejt
Are you tying?!

ARE YOU TYING?!

There's no tying!

There's no tying in Baseball!

Repeat after me fellow umpires: "There's no such thing as tie coach". Life will be so much easier for you.

Kyle
Amen.
Old Thu Jun 20, 2002, 12:46pm
Official Forum Member

larjoranj (Large Orange?) offered:
It does not address what happens if the play is a tie.

That is simply because there is no tie in baseball. Decisions have to be made. One thing happened before the other, always.

I have a standard offer for all coaches. I keep a $50 bill in my wallet for any coach who can find tie, hands part of the bat, or automatic strike for batter leaving the bat over part of the plate on a withdrawn bunt attempt in the OBR. I have yet had to pay.

My other open offer: a $50 donation to the end of season party at PONY level and a $50 contribution to the team for any purpose at upper levels for a three pitch inning. (half inning, actually)

I've paid out on that one four times in my career.

[Edited by GarthB on Jun 20th, 2002 at 12:49 PM]
Old Fri Jun 21, 2002, 06:08am
Official Forum Member

Wink New Rule Regarding Ties

Rule 6.66 - In the event of a tie at any base and during any play, the UIC shall immediately overule his/her partner and direct both teams to have a "do over", just as if no action had occurred prior to the apparent tie. If any runners have advanced to any base, they shall all be returned to the base acquired at the time of the pitch.

Personally . . . I'd go with the advice to umpires . . .repeat after me . . . "There's no such thing as a tie; there's no such thing as a tie; there's no such thing as a tie."

Jerry
Old Fri Jun 21, 2002, 07:23am
Official Forum Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally posted by jicecone
Sorry guys. Your all wrong!

TIE GOES TO THE UMPIRE!

And I know what Im calling.
An old sage once reminded a group of trainees that the defense has had to do a lot to get a runner out. If they cleanly field, throw and receive the ball on a force play any so-called "tie" goes to the defense as this is pretty much what the coaches expect. His reminder was, "We get paid to call outs."