The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jun 10, 2002, 10:02am
Official Forum Member

This guy actuall thinks we should be fined for missing a ball or strike here and there. It should be mandatory for all sports reporters to have actually officiated at a sporting event. But I know that that may be asking too much from people who may not have even played the game but feel qualified to write about it......

here's the link to reply to this editorial.... we should bomb these guys with tons of reply's

http://www.rep-am.com/editorials/online_editorial.html

------------------------------------------------------------

Fine the umpire!
Monday, June 10, 2002

"Kill the umpire!" has been the well-known cry of the unhappy fan in times past, and while the phrase may have been replaced by other sentiments — not necessarily milder — at today's sporting events, the truth is the men in blue, gray or stripes have never been the most popular figures on the field of play.

"Kill the umpire!" was more an expression of frustration than desire, for another truth is that no matter how reprehensible the call made by an official, there was not much that anyone, especially the fan, could do about it.

In a recent game between the New York Mets and the Florida Marlins, Mets catcher Mike Piazza was called out looking at a third strike. Television replays of the pitch showed it to be six inches, more or less, outside. Mr. Piazza was furious and let the umpire know it, but was pulled away by Manager Bobby Valentine before he could be ejected.

Mr. Piazza assumed his position behind the plate as the Marlins came to bat. As could be anticipated, he waited until one of the pitches was thrown in approximately the same location as his called third strike. "Ball," cried the umpire. Mr. Piazza exploded. Eventually both he and Mr. Valentine were ejected for arguing.

A gross injustice? The umpire is the one who deserved ejection, not the players. But we know Messrs. Piazza and Valentine are likely to be fined, while there will be no announcement of any censure or corrective action against the umpire for his obviously inept calls. May we suggest sitting him down to watch a replay of those pitches over and over again?

For what it's worth, referees and umpires are coming under attack by Ralph Nader — is he running out of issues? — who wrote to National Basketball Association Commissioner David Stern protesting the officiating of a postseason game between the Los Angeles Lakers and the Sacramento Kings. He said, "... it is important, during the public's relaxation time, for there to be maintained a sense of impartiality and professionalism in commercial sports performances. ... That sense was severely broken in Game 6."

Foul calling seemed to favor the Lakers, who had 27 free throws in the last quarter, Mr. Nader pointed out. But a Laker got away with elbowing a Kings player in the nose. Mr. Nader was joined in the protest by the League of Fans, a watchdog group.

Professional football at least mollifies fans with a limited use of the instant replay when controversial calls are made on the field. It does help. In tennis, electronic sensors are used to detect faulty serves. Has baseball given any consideration to an electronic outline of a strike area at home plate?

Most of all, though, instead of just penalizing players for protesting too much, let us hear of what disciplinary actions are taken against game officials who make grossly bad calls.

[Edited by cmckenna on Jun 10th, 2002 at 10:05 AM]
Old Mon Jun 10, 2002, 10:39am
Official Forum Member

Idiotic Editorials

I do not agree with this editorialist on his suggestions about things should be handled.

What should happen, however, is for the professional levels of our avocation to be a little more proactive in telling the public how they handle evaluations of officials, and how they educate officials on their league's rules interpretation.

There are so many people out there who think they actually know the rules. The problem is that most of the fans watching a game get their rules interpreted for them by a play-by-play anouncer, or worse yet, an "analyst". We all know that former coaches and/or players aren't always the best people to ask about rules, yet here they are, telling millions of viewers how the rules work - according to their own opinions!

The pros use replay in hockey and football. Why can't they, and the rest of the sports use the media to educate people on how they want their officials to call a game?

Personally, I'm gonna respond to this knee-jerk editorial, but in the meantime, why can't we help the situation via education?

Opinions/Suggestions?
Old Mon Jun 10, 2002, 11:23am
Official Forum Member

I think what really bugs me about this editorial is that the author uses an example where the umpire had to use judgement and not a situation where is was an "application of the rules" problem. We all know from being there that a ball coming at a high rate of speed can sometimes look one way when it is really another.

How come no one complains when Mr. Piazza uses his "judgement" to determine when to swing and not swing. If in his judgement he decides not to swing, should he be fined if it is a strike???
Old Mon Jun 10, 2002, 12:13pm
Official Forum Member

I Remember Why I Got Into This

I was coaching my son's pee-wee football team and encountered a truly brutal official. This was a complete jerk, and I felt it was my place to let him know it. Well, he launches me (like he should) and I proceeded to let him have it about his lack of rules knowledge.

One of the other officials on the crew had to get between us because the exchange got heated and calmed me by saying, "If you think you have all of the answers, then get out here with us".

The rest is history. My wife nevers sees me between March and the end of November. Nevermind that, here's the point:

I was struck by one huge thing during my first football game (9th grade):

I was no longer a spectator! I no longer had the luxury of selectively officiating. I had to watch every single play and rule on it! Not just the critical ones, ALL OF THEM! One thing the "vet" on the crew said to me, "we're only human, we make mistakes."

Then he added (jokingly), "now that you're a ref, you have to be perfect and improve from there!"

I agree with ya man, like the old saying goes, "Until you've walked a mile in my shoes..."
Old Mon Jun 10, 2002, 01:26pm
Official Forum Member

I agree that reporters should have a requirement to have officiated a sport that they are writing about. Unfortunately what would happen is that they would probably be a one to three year official and that could be even worse. I have found that a 1-3(mabey 5)year official is just coming around to the point of knowing the rules but, not always certain about their application. Im not being critical but this seems to be the learning curve we all go through. Then again mabey I'm just speaking about myself. Anyway, this type of official/reporter would probably be twice as critical as the less knowledgeable one.

We keep believing that the media reports things based upon fact or truth. Heck nobody would read their articles if that was the case. Our job is to deal with the facts and react within the rules. Their job is to sell their articles. The more controversial, the more attention it gets. The more attention it gets the bigger their name gets. The bigger their name gets the more money they get for their articles.

You really thought that writer cared about where that pitch was? But then again, they also have a right to earn a living.
Old Mon Jun 10, 2002, 01:58pm
Official Forum Member

Does Piazza argue when he's catching and an ump calls an outside pitch a strike?

On another thread, I commented that years ago MLB experimented with an electronic strike zone (might have been in spring training), and everybody hated it. My guess is it was too narrow and too tall and too rectangular--just as the book defines it. Apparently the strike zone is really the "ump" zone, and NOBODY calls it by the book.

Why not have every single pitch adjudicated by a panel of judges in the booth? They could slow down the tape, look at the pitch from various angles, and announce the call over the PA system. "Fans, we'll have the ball-strike call right after this word from. . . ." Or have the ump call the obvious ones, but on close pitches, he could put his hand on his head or something and then the committee would rule. You have to think outside the lines!
Old Mon Jun 10, 2002, 02:33pm
Official Forum Member

Great idea! But let's not stop there. For every misspelled word, use of a wrong word, or factual mistake, the reporter gets fined. For every misinterpretation of a rule, or giving a rule that doesn't exist, reporters and announcers will be fined. Announcers who imbibe too much of the sponsors' products and can't remember who's playing, or what city they're in, a 3-game suspension without pay. This list can be endless.

I can see it now. Their take home pay will fall below minimum wage, and they'll have to apply for food stamps.

Bob

p.s. I just tried replying, but the it won't submit. Maybe this yokel closed it down because he was getting swamped.

B

[Edited by bluezebra on Jun 10th, 2002 at 02:46 PM]
Old Mon Jun 10, 2002, 03:36pm
Official Forum Member

Hold On There B-Z!!!!

We'll have to make a modification on that "don't know what city they're in" rule.

Half the time I have to look at my "book" to find out if I'm in my backyard or on a ball field (LOL).

Those are good rules. I think that especially the announcers would be straightening up their acts really quick if they had to actually be correct at least once per game.

Too bad this moron shut down the page. Does this butt have an editor we can send snail-mail to?
Old Mon Jun 10, 2002, 09:09pm
Official Forum Member

here's the link to their full website...

http://www.rep-am.com
Old Mon Jun 10, 2002, 10:42pm
Official Forum Member

Re: I Remember Why I Got Into This

Originally posted by snrmike

I was coaching my son's pee-wee football team and encountered a truly brutal official. This was a complete jerk, and I felt it was my place to let him know it. Well, he launches me (like he should) and I proceeded to let him have it about his lack of rules knowledge.

One of the other officials on the crew had to get between us because the exchange got heated and calmed me by saying, "If you think you have all of the answers, then get out here with us".

Glad to see you have joined us, but this is the problem in youth sports and why there is a lack of officials. You said PEE WEE football for God's sakes and you lost it. This is equivalent to LL minor baseball. I'm sorry I don't care what kind of officiating it was, doesn't give you the right to behave the way you did.

If it was that bad, write up a report and give it to the assignor. That's the professional thing to do.

What really amazes me is suppose you are at work and you do not like something your boss says or gives you to do. Are you going to go off on your boss? You could but you would be looking for work, yet for some reason people think they have the right to go off on officials

Amateur officiating (even though we get a game FEE), is what it is - a part time occupation. Should we strive to be the best we can be - Of cource we should, but in general there is a lack of officials and sometimes the assignors hands are tied.

As far as this thread is concerned, IMO you can't compare MLB to amateur baseball. There are many young officials today in MLB who IMO need a mentor. Speaking of the Piazza incident, I saw the game and I give cudos to the crew chief (can't remeber his name). He came in a calmed things down. He ended up tossing Bobby V, but that was expected.

Yes, the media sparks controversy, but what else is new.

Pete Booth

Old Mon Jun 10, 2002, 11:16pm
Official Forum Member

Yo Pete!

You've failed to see something here my friend. I had already chastised myself for the incident and I also decided to actually do something. Become a good official and try to recruit as many good officials as possible in all sports that I officiate.

I should also clarify what I defined as "going off" on a 40 year-old man (my referee who is now my friend and crew-mate)and who still does have a god complex IMO(LOL). My pal actually decided to start throwing delay of game flags because the homecoming ceremonies took too long in his very arbitrary judgement. 10 year-old kids had to start the game, before it ever started, 30 yards in the hole.
I stated very loudly, that he was a pompous, arrogant and egotistical creep. I never used profanity, charged out at him or accosted him, but I do have a very loud booming voice and everyone within 8 bocks of the field probably heard my brief critique.

Was I wrong in this approach? Yes.

Should I have taken it to the referee-in-charge? Probably, but I really doubt that his dad (God rest his soul) would've taken up against his son in the dispute.

Favor from you please?

Do you think that you could cut a little slack to someone who was ten years younger and ten years less experienced at the time?

Take it for what it it's worth: a funny if not lame story about how I came to be an official

I was just trying to illustrate that sometimes even us perfect officials have room for improvement - and that we all come from someplace.

Lighten up friend.
Old Tue Jun 11, 2002, 01:12am
Official Forum Member

Another Idiotic Editorial

I have been reading this board for several months, since the merger with myteam.com. Great Posts.

I could not get through online either regarding the Editorial so I am sending the following via the US Mail.

FINE THE UMPIRE!

" Television replays of the pitch showed it to be six inches, more or less, outside"

Should the umpire be fined by the inch? Even with the television replay, the decision can not be totally determined by this Editor's judgement of the pitch. Should the plate umpire split his pay for the day with the base umpire who rules on the appeal for a check swing? Best of all, how about we indict the umpire as a co-conspiritor on assault charges for not ejecting the pitcher everytime a batter is hit.

Judgement is the operative word here. It takes an average of 8-10 years of training and work to get to the plate of a MLB game. Tens of thousands of pitches called from behind an iron mask with only the time between innings to rest during a game.

Consistency, not perfection is what gets them to the forefront of their profession. Their ability to improve upon their judgement , with the help and support of the peers as they progress through the ranks. Hopefully, mentored by those who came before them, they are given the proper insight on the rules and ethics of their chosen profession. But, that is enough on journalists.

Messrs. Piazza and Valentine were ejected for a rules violation, not at the whim of an umpire. I am quite certain that Messr. Piazza has never been ejected for arguing a pitch outside the strike zone while he was behind the plate, receiving the the pitch as a catcher.

Fortunately for me, I am only an amateur baseball umpire that has to endure the opinions of parents and volunteer coaches who, I am sure, are as equally expierenced as is this author of the Editorial at performing this position.

John W. Fink
Old Tue Jun 11, 2002, 03:35pm
Official Forum Member

Tangential slant

Obviously, this is a silly editorial, but it does bring up an interesting question which I would be curious how other leagues around the country handle.

Many years ago, American business came to understand that the ability to measure quality and communicate that measurement to workers was a key ingredient to improvement of products and processes. In our league (LL), I am one of the senior umpires, but have never been evaluated for the quality of my officiating other than in a very casual manner. BTW - I'm not talking about mechanics here, but the actual calls themselves.

I do as much self evaluation as I can, but honestly, it's pretty hard to know whether my strike zone is off or on or if I missed or did not miss a bang-bang call at the plate. I figure I probably miss anywhere from 3 to 5 pitches in a 6 to 7 inning game (low outside usually) that I wish I had a second look at, but have no way of knowing whether that is an accurate statement. Nor do I know what is an appropriate standard (0,1,2?) to be shooting for.

So, my question is, do any of your leagues have any kind of evaluation system that is tied to reward or advancement? In the case described in the editorial, maybe the PU did miss the call, but if it was the only one he missed all night, then overall he had a good game. On the other hand, if his zone was off all night (think Eric Gregg) then this should be taken into account when plum assignments such as playoffs or all stars are being considered. The question is, how do you know? Do any of you have structured evaluation programs for your umpires other than coaches generally saying like or dislike?
Old Wed Jun 12, 2002, 03:02pm
Official Forum Member

Maybe I'm missing something. If I DON'T call a pitch that is only six inches off the plate, I have one team yelling at me. If I call it, usually only the batter complains and half his team tells him it was "right there".

I try to limit the width of my zone to the plate plus the width of a ball on the outside and maybe an extra inch inside.

The funny thing about borderline pitches is that whatever line you use, if the pitcher throws to the "exact" same borderline spot 10 times, half should be balls and half strikes. That's where the judgment really comes in.

Think about it, if a pitch is 1 millimeter more inside or outside, can we really say we can discern that? As much as I try to stay consistent, I hope that when the borderline pitches come, I give just as many to each team, even if I'm not 100% accurate. I don't count or use make-up calls, I just hope my best judgemnt makes it work out.

I know when I have a good game, no one has to tell me, I can just see everything and I'm not distracted. When I don't have that kind of game, I usually know that too. Coaches and fans generally don't know if I had a good game or not. If there were calls that went against them they usually assume I screwed up. If they win, they usually assume I did a real good job.