View Single Post
Old Mon Jun 10, 2002, 12:13pm
Official Forum Member

I Remember Why I Got Into This

I was coaching my son's pee-wee football team and encountered a truly brutal official. This was a complete jerk, and I felt it was my place to let him know it. Well, he launches me (like he should) and I proceeded to let him have it about his lack of rules knowledge.

One of the other officials on the crew had to get between us because the exchange got heated and calmed me by saying, "If you think you have all of the answers, then get out here with us".

The rest is history. My wife nevers sees me between March and the end of November. Nevermind that, here's the point:

I was struck by one huge thing during my first football game (9th grade):

I was no longer a spectator! I no longer had the luxury of selectively officiating. I had to watch every single play and rule on it! Not just the critical ones, ALL OF THEM! One thing the "vet" on the crew said to me, "we're only human, we make mistakes."

Then he added (jokingly), "now that you're a ref, you have to be perfect and improve from there!"

I agree with ya man, like the old saying goes, "Until you've walked a mile in my shoes..."