View Single Post
Old Mon Jun 10, 2002, 01:26pm
Official Forum Member

I agree that reporters should have a requirement to have officiated a sport that they are writing about. Unfortunately what would happen is that they would probably be a one to three year official and that could be even worse. I have found that a 1-3(mabey 5)year official is just coming around to the point of knowing the rules but, not always certain about their application. Im not being critical but this seems to be the learning curve we all go through. Then again mabey I'm just speaking about myself. Anyway, this type of official/reporter would probably be twice as critical as the less knowledgeable one.

We keep believing that the media reports things based upon fact or truth. Heck nobody would read their articles if that was the case. Our job is to deal with the facts and react within the rules. Their job is to sell their articles. The more controversial, the more attention it gets. The more attention it gets the bigger their name gets. The bigger their name gets the more money they get for their articles.

You really thought that writer cared about where that pitch was? But then again, they also have a right to earn a living.