View Single Post
Old Mon Jun 10, 2002, 11:16pm
Official Forum Member

Yo Pete!

You've failed to see something here my friend. I had already chastised myself for the incident and I also decided to actually do something. Become a good official and try to recruit as many good officials as possible in all sports that I officiate.

I should also clarify what I defined as "going off" on a 40 year-old man (my referee who is now my friend and crew-mate)and who still does have a god complex IMO(LOL). My pal actually decided to start throwing delay of game flags because the homecoming ceremonies took too long in his very arbitrary judgement. 10 year-old kids had to start the game, before it ever started, 30 yards in the hole.
I stated very loudly, that he was a pompous, arrogant and egotistical creep. I never used profanity, charged out at him or accosted him, but I do have a very loud booming voice and everyone within 8 bocks of the field probably heard my brief critique.

Was I wrong in this approach? Yes.

Should I have taken it to the referee-in-charge? Probably, but I really doubt that his dad (God rest his soul) would've taken up against his son in the dispute.

Favor from you please?

Do you think that you could cut a little slack to someone who was ten years younger and ten years less experienced at the time?

Take it for what it it's worth: a funny if not lame story about how I came to be an official

I was just trying to illustrate that sometimes even us perfect officials have room for improvement - and that we all come from someplace.

Lighten up friend.