View Single Post
Old Mon Jun 10, 2002, 10:42pm
Official Forum Member

Re: I Remember Why I Got Into This

Originally posted by snrmike

I was coaching my son's pee-wee football team and encountered a truly brutal official. This was a complete jerk, and I felt it was my place to let him know it. Well, he launches me (like he should) and I proceeded to let him have it about his lack of rules knowledge.

One of the other officials on the crew had to get between us because the exchange got heated and calmed me by saying, "If you think you have all of the answers, then get out here with us".

Glad to see you have joined us, but this is the problem in youth sports and why there is a lack of officials. You said PEE WEE football for God's sakes and you lost it. This is equivalent to LL minor baseball. I'm sorry I don't care what kind of officiating it was, doesn't give you the right to behave the way you did.

If it was that bad, write up a report and give it to the assignor. That's the professional thing to do.

What really amazes me is suppose you are at work and you do not like something your boss says or gives you to do. Are you going to go off on your boss? You could but you would be looking for work, yet for some reason people think they have the right to go off on officials

Amateur officiating (even though we get a game FEE), is what it is - a part time occupation. Should we strive to be the best we can be - Of cource we should, but in general there is a lack of officials and sometimes the assignors hands are tied.

As far as this thread is concerned, IMO you can't compare MLB to amateur baseball. There are many young officials today in MLB who IMO need a mentor. Speaking of the Piazza incident, I saw the game and I give cudos to the crew chief (can't remeber his name). He came in a calmed things down. He ended up tossing Bobby V, but that was expected.

Yes, the media sparks controversy, but what else is new.

Pete Booth