The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Feb 04, 2009, 11:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blindofficial View Post
Being new to umpiring, I'm curious to how you all handle a coach that comes out to argue a call with you? What do you say to him? Is there an automatic ejection point (besides arguing balls/strikes) based on what he might say to you, or when he tries to show you up? Any advice or some common phrases to say to the coach?

Coming into my second year, I'm trying to get a better feel for game management.

Thanks in advance for the help!
The best piece of advice that i could offer is know and understand your role as an umpire. You are there to manage the game and enforce the rules and conference guidelines/expectations. This means that you will have to communicate with the coaches effectively and talking to them in this context is not something that you should FEAR.

I say fear because a lot of officials go through the stage where they fear having to talk to coaches; it is natural and part of our development as officials. The fear can come from several sources, not knowing the rules well, not wanting to rock the boat, and just being new and unsure.

Think back to situations that you had and reflect on ones that come up this season, is there fear or apprehension involved in them? If so identify the source and work on the source. Because simply explaining what you have and understanding that while a coach may be entitled to an explanation, he is not entitled to say what ever he likes to or about you. If you keep that in mind you begin to realize that talking to a coach is ok. It is not knowing what you are talking about that can be scary.

Also, it is also ok to say things like: please, thank you, I don’t like that rule either, I understand that you …….. but this is how I saw it or the rule says ….

Good luck this season all!
Old Wed Feb 04, 2009, 09:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CajunNewBlue View Post
if he says "you suck" he's gone but if he adds "but, you are consistent" i might let him stay.
Reminds me of something that was supposedly said by a famous college basketball coach.

Coach: can you eject me for what I'm thinking?
Official: no
Coach: good because I'm thinking you suck
Old Wed Feb 04, 2009, 09:59pm
Official Forum Member

Banter like that makes you immediately think of Frank Layden ... one of the genuinely funniest men in sports history:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frank_Layden
Old Thu Feb 05, 2009, 06:48am
Official Forum Member

Welcome to the fraternity

You have received a ton of good solid advice from everyone..esp. from JRut and Durham. There's really an art to it...understanding when you have to do it and, probably more important, when you shouldn't do it. We don't have a the luxury in baseball of controlling bad behavior by coaches (and players for that matter) through penalties like football and basketball officials do. But that's what I think makes baseball special. We have the unwritten codes. You don't show-up the umps, conversely umps shouldn't show-up the coach or players; while it's in the book that you don't argue balls&strikes..as several of the posters have pointed out...it's not an absolute. You need to set your own level of what you're going to listen to or tolerate. When we decide enough is enough they're done. It's not 15 yards or two foul shots and the other team get the ball.
The thing is though, you'll never develop a rep as a strong umpire if you let whining and *****ing about balls&strikes. You can't let coaches try to manipulate or intimidate you. As JRut pointed out to you...a lot can be said between a coach&ump of the diamond that nobody hears. So as many of the guys have said...communicate. Do it professionally..in a conversational, matter of fact, non confrontational manner. Many times it just nips things in the bud.
Years ago I read a piece on MLB ump Bruce Fromming (as big a red *** as there was when he broke in) and what he said about arguments was this..."there's a right way and a wrong way for a coach/manager/player to argue. If they come at me they better do it the right way or they're gone."
Be confident, look and act professional, be approachable, work on being a communicator, but don't ever be afraid to toss somebody when it's warranted.
Good luck with your career...and welcome to the club.
Old Thu Feb 05, 2009, 08:11am
Official Forum Member

concerning mind games...
I think that most coaches believe that there is going to only be a few close judgement calls in a game. By comming out and questioning the first judgement play, they hope to get the next call or the majority of calls.

Last year HSJV,(my first) I had a bang, bang play at second, non force. The coach came out to question where the tag was on his guy(player was sliding). he tried to convince me that because the glove swipe was at the belt, his player MIGHT have been safe.

Being new, he made me start thinking about that. I believe that was his goal in the first place.
Old Thu Feb 05, 2009, 09:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachbum View Post
concerning mind games...
I think that most coaches believe that there is going to only be a few close judgement calls in a game. By comming out and questioning the first judgement play, they hope to get the next call or the majority of calls.
I realize that coaches try this, but it really makes no sense to me ( besides blah blah coachspeak)...Think about it--you call a bang bang play, and during it, you're actually going to think who should get the call/what coach said what--all in the milliseconds before the play? I dont think so....

Though I am constantly trying to improve my game, its usually after a close play that I than realize which team gained or lost by the call, not that I care.. ...
Old Thu Feb 05, 2009, 10:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Finnerty View Post
Banter like that makes you immediately think of Frank Layden ... one of the genuinely funniest men in sports history:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frank_Layden
Isn't he on "The Price is Right" now??
Old Thu Feb 05, 2009, 11:07am
Official Forum Member

There was a coach who said one of the unspeakable things to me, but I didn't run him because it was an LA City Section game, and if you toss a coach, the game's over. I umpire high school so that kids can have games. I'm not going to let some semi-professional blowhard coach make everyone go home because he can't control his idiocy in a public setting.

So I make him sit in the dugout like a child and stew until the game reaches its natural conclusion, giving every youngster on his team the chance to look like a bigger man than Mr. Coach. Once you put a guy through that, they are never a problem when you see them again. It works out better than tossing them.
Old Thu Feb 05, 2009, 12:39pm
Broadcaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by DG View Post
Reminds me of something that was supposedly said by a famous college basketball coach.

Jim Valvano: can you eject me for what I'm thinking?
Henry Nichols: no
Jim Valvano: good because I'm thinking you suck

http://www.niagara-gazette.com/local...090000411.html
Old Thu Feb 05, 2009, 08:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Being new to umpiring, I'm curious to how you all handle a coach that comes out to argue a call with you? What do you say to him? Is there an automatic ejection point (besides arguing balls/strikes) based on what he might say to you, or when he tries to show you up? Any advice or some common phrases to say to the coach?

Coming into my second year, I'm trying to get a better feel for game management.

You have to learn what to say and when to say it. Can't tell you how to do it just do lots of games and you'll figure it out.
Old Thu Feb 05, 2009, 10:56pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by DG View Post

Coach: can you eject me for what I'm thinking?
Official: no
Coach: good because I'm thinking you suck
That reminds me of this HS coach that used to come up to me between innings on the foul line and tell me, "hey, I think you're doing a helluva job back there, but your partner over there (pointing at him)...he thinks you're horsesh*t!" Fortunately, I had known this guy for years, and I knew he was just giving me some good-natured grief! He actually owns a local sporting goods store that carries some good umpire equipment.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Fri Feb 06, 2009, 02:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Discuss with veterans all the situations you had on the field, whether or not there was an ejection. Find out ways you might have been able to handle it differently. Get as much feedback as possible, and use whatever game management strategies work best for you.
Old Fri Feb 06, 2009, 03:05pm
Official Forum Member

Excellent advice!

Take your life skills with people to your game management. If you're a fair, decent person, then follow your instincts as you develop your specific coach-relating skills.
Old Fri Feb 06, 2009, 05:49pm
Official Forum Member

When you see a coach coming just say "Coach SYAD"
Old Sun Feb 08, 2009, 01:34am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Being new to umpiring, it will take lots of games and situations; however, the best advice I like to give is to be patient.

You're new, coaches are going to test you. They will say things to you that they might not say to a veteran. So you have to learn to take it.
You don't want to get a poor reputation by looking for things to eject a coach for.

Have your guidelines as to what you will not take from a coach:
1)any suggestion you are cheating
2)cursing directed directly at you
3) .... depends of course on your personality.

Others have given good advice, but you have to find what works for you. Finally pay a lot of attention (if you can) to the veteran officials in your area to see how they handle coaches/players etc.

Good luck!

Thanks
DAvid