The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Feb 03, 2009, 03:03pm
Official Forum Member

Question Handling Coaches

Being new to umpiring, I'm curious to how you all handle a coach that comes out to argue a call with you? What do you say to him? Is there an automatic ejection point (besides arguing balls/strikes) based on what he might say to you, or when he tries to show you up? Any advice or some common phrases to say to the coach?

Coming into my second year, I'm trying to get a better feel for game management.

Thanks in advance for the help!
Old Tue Feb 03, 2009, 03:13pm
Do not give a damn!!

The great thing about baseball is you can say a lot of things in the middle of the field that no one can hear.

I just usually am straight forward with coaches and tell them what I saw or what point I want to get across. I tend to talk an octave lower than the coach so they will lower their voice. I rarely have to eject coaches because if you appeal to their professionalism and sometimes manhood (the way they treat you), you can squelch most major confrontations. I do not think I ejected a single coach last year. Then again there is an art to what I told you. It took some time to know how to be calm in these situations.

Peace
Old Tue Feb 03, 2009, 03:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blindofficial View Post
Being new to umpiring, I'm curious to how you all handle a coach that comes out to argue a call with you? What do you say to him? Is there an automatic ejection point (besides arguing balls/strikes) based on what he might say to you, or when he tries to show you up? Any advice or some common phrases to say to the coach?

Coming into my second year, I'm trying to get a better feel for game management.

assuming its high school ball.....

if he walks to you with his mouth shut.. manuever (sp) so your standing side-by-side and you say "whats your question coach?"
if he walks at you already talking... I make him repeat himself once I get him along side me. if it isnt a question I ask "whats your question coach?"
if he is coming at you any faster than a fast walk.. he gets a whoa sign and if he is still coming he gets the go sit in the parking lot mechanic.
if he says "you suck" he's gone but if he adds "but, you are consistent" i might let him stay.
there is no such thing as a "automatic ejection" IMHO, just things that earn a quick ejection.. such a profanity, talking bad about my partner, and not pointing out the hot mommies to me
Old Tue Feb 03, 2009, 04:18pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to bobbybanaduck
Quote:

arguing balls and strikes is not an automatic EJ. leaving your position to argue balls and strikes is a different story...
Old Tue Feb 03, 2009, 04:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CajunNewBlue View Post

if he walks to you with his mouth shut.. manuever (sp) so your standing
I picked up something similar to this at my JUCO rules meeting a couple weeks ago. He said that you should try everything you can to avoid being face to face/body to body with a manager because it's a confrontational pose.

The example given is if you're out having a beer and talking, you don't stand like that; one guy's at 90 degrees or so.

Conversational vs confrontational. Then again, you'll get coaches that won't give a rat's *** (sic) and will get in your grill no matter what you do.
Old Tue Feb 03, 2009, 05:50pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to UmpJM
Cool

blindofficial,

Quote:
Being new to umpiring, I'm curious to how you all handle a coach that comes out to argue a call with you?
I make it a point to never handle coaches. I mean, you don't know where they've been, who they've been hanging out with, when was the last time they bathed, etc. You could catch something. Plus, they're not supposed to touch you, so it's only fair that you don't touch them either.

Quote:
What do you say to him?
As little as possible - without being "rude", of course.

Quote:
Is there an automatic ejection point (besides arguing balls/strikes) based on what he might say to you, or when he tries to show you up?
If he calls you a cock$ucker, it's an automatic.

Quote:
Any advice...
Be courteous, impartial and firm.

Quote:
...or some common phrases to say to the coach?
A colleague of mine is quite fond of "GTFOMF", but he's fairly experienced, so that may be an "advanced technique".

Quote:

Game management is an excellent area to focus on improving.

JM
Old Tue Feb 03, 2009, 07:12pm
Official Forum Member

It's a learned art. Good advice given so far. I like what coach, eh-hem, sorry, umpjm said, let them talk. Once they start repeating themsleves, end it.

I had a coach admit to me that he was testing me (after the game). I knew it when he did it and told him so. I passed that test. The next time I had him, he ran over me about balls and strikes. I failed that test.

Stay calm, as polite as possible, and don't yell back at him - talk to him (when you say anything). Nothing pissses of someone more than yelling at someone else and not getting a reaction.

Last but not least, learn something from every situation. You can't be taught game management IMHO, you have to learn it.

Until it gets personal, there is no immediate ejection - even that's not immediate every time.
Old Tue Feb 03, 2009, 07:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

The first thing that you have to do is not give them a reason to come out! Be in position, get the right angle, pause-read-wait for it-react. Always give 110% even when you only have 40% left in you.

Of course, even doing all this, coaches will find it necessary to discuss calls. I got a chuckle out of the post that CajunNewBlue made and it is pretty close to reality. I can't tell you how many conversations I've had with coaches in the middle of the infield. Everything from "Are you really sure he tagged my guy" to "I really can't stand it here anymore. Can you get me out of here?".

But before you try to employ some of the techniques that you read, you will need to get some experience under your belt. Coaches are a funny group. What they take from me will put you on their $hit list very quickly. It takes a long time to be able to "have your way" with coaches.
Old Tue Feb 03, 2009, 07:49pm
Official Forum Member

Other than balls and strikes. The 5 Ps will earn ejection.

Past- "That's the second one today, Blue!"
Personal- "You're the worst I have even seen!"
Profane- "That's F**in' bulls**t!"
Prolonged- Going on and on after a warning.
Preformance- Acting out what happend, showing you up.
Old Tue Feb 03, 2009, 09:07pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to bobbybanaduck
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger49 View Post
Other than balls and strikes. The 5 Ps will earn ejection.

Past- "That's the second one today, Blue!"
Personal- "You're the worst I have even seen!"
Profane- "That's F**in' bulls**t!"
Prolonged- Going on and on after a warning.
Preformance- Acting out what happend, showing you up.
disagree with the bold as "blanket" ejections. again, balls and strikes doesn't do it, leaving their position to argue balls and strikes does it. as for the profanity, at some levels it's auto, at others it's not even a warning. personal profanity, however, is the same different story as the balls and strikes from my earlier post.
Old Wed Feb 04, 2009, 12:16am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbybanaduck View Post
as for the profanity, at some levels it's auto, at others it's not even a warning. personal profanity, however, is the same different story as the balls and strikes from my earlier post.
I agree, but I would add the "volume" of the profanity. If the cussing was during an argument where only you two heard the profanity, then it's nothing. If it's shouted from the dugout, then yes, that's ejectable IMO.
Old Wed Feb 04, 2009, 12:18am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossman72 View Post
I agree, but I would add the "volume" of the profanity. If the cussing was during an argument where only you two heard the profanity, then it's nothing. If it's shouted from the dugout, then yes, that's ejectable IMO.
Again, it depends on the level.
Old Wed Feb 04, 2009, 01:01am
Official Forum Member

blindofficial,

Lot of great advise here. I would recommend you check out the ABUA web site and review the Ejection Forum. You will find a lot of game situations discussed and the best ways to handle them. Many by the same officials who post here. http://www.umpire.org/
Old Wed Feb 04, 2009, 08:34am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Why do you have a redundant screen name? Aren't we all blind? At least in the eyes of the fans and coaches?
Old Wed Feb 04, 2009, 10:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CajunNewBlue View Post
if he says "you suck" he's gone but if he adds "but, you are consistent" i might let him stay.
Spit out my coffee--Thanks!!