Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Feb 08, 2009, 07:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim C View Post
Not the best of advice here.

This is "false" timing.

If you simply follow the philosophy of Jim Evans ("Timing is the proper use of eyes") the truth will set you free.

If you follow the ball all the way to the catcher's mitt BEFORE you start any part of a strike mechanic your timing will be perfect.

You don't need to say: "One Mississippi, or chew your gum twice, or silently think 'Strike.'"

Just follow school procedure and all will work out.

Regards,
Could you elaborate on "timing is the proper use of the eyes"?

Should there not be a consistent amount of time that passes between ball into mitt and call, or can it vary so long as you're not starting to call it before it hits the mitt?
Old Sun Feb 08, 2009, 08:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Finnerty View Post
The pause is a built-in buffer that some umpires might need to fully evaluate a borderline call and deliver it without appearing inconsistent. Not everyone here is a master.
The pause is a rubber crutch. It does not provide time to see or evaluate a pitch. It that wasn't done by the proper use of the eyes, it cannot be done by pausing.

I know a pause was taught for years to amateur umpires, mostly by amateur umpires. Never the less, it is BS.

One does not have to be a master to work correctly. That's another crutch.
Old Sun Feb 08, 2009, 09:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blindofficial View Post
As a newbie in baseball (going into my 3rd year) I get told that my strike zone is too tight. I keep getting told that if the catcher doesn't have to turn his glove, as if to scoop it, it's a strike no matter how low it is or where it's at. However, if the catcher has to "scoop" to get the ball (as if it bounced) it's a ball.

I've asked multiple umpires in the past about this and the reason behind this is to "speed up the game." I know these are Soph/JV games, but c'mon. Is that really a fair strike zone, and how is that teaching the pitcher to throw strikes?
Usually at the soph/jv level, you will get as many cathers that don't properly catch as there are pitchers that can't throw strikes. If you enjoy being out there for hours at a time, go for it. Be consistent. Be consistent.

A good catcher will basically confirm the pitch you have seen and tracked into his mit. Most times, the perception that it looked like a strike, is because it was. Call em. Borderline pitches are just as much a strike as a ball. I choose to say the "S" word in just about all those situations.

You may believe that your teaching little Johnnie to throw strikes, but I guarentee you that little Joey is standing there in the box learning how to get on base the easiest way he knows. So if you really want to teach, make sure not to forget about the batter who wants to learn how to hit also.

I personnally believe in the three "S" words to a successful umpiring assignment: Strike, He'Sout and So long coach have a good night.
Old Sun Feb 08, 2009, 10:08pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to UmpJM
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadaump6 View Post
Could you elaborate on "timing is the proper use of the eyes"?

Should there not be a consistent amount of time that passes between ball into mitt and call, or can it vary so long as you're not starting to call it before it hits the mitt?
canadaump6,

I think Jim Evans is wrong - well, his "point" isn't wrong, but how he says it is. Timing is not the "proper use of the eyes" - it's really the "proper use of the brain".

Making a call is a "decision" - which is a thought process. The eyes don't process thoughts, the brain does. The senses, primarily sight and sound, provide the information that the brain needs to process in order to make the decision required for a ruling in a baseball game.

Jim's "point" - which is absolutely correct, is that you have to allow the senses to give the brain ALL the available information it needs to render the decision, BEFORE starting the decision process.

In the case of deciding whether to call a pitch a ball or strike, the most important thing is to allow your eyes to track the pitch from the pitcher's hand all the way to his mitt. Once you have done that, then you start to decide whether the pitch was a ball or strike. Once you've decided, you let everybody else know what your decision was. That's what Jim Evans means when he says "timing is the proper use of the eyes" - or, perhaps I misunderstood him.

This "proper use of the eyes" is probably the single most important skill in being an umpire. It is deceptively simple in concept, and surprisingly difficult to master in practice - at least for me.

I believe that it is important for timing to be "consistent" - especially when calling balls and strikes. The "proper use of the eyes" also tends to result in "consistent" timing from one pitch to the next.

Inserting "artificial" pauses only distracts you from the task at hand - and really has nothing to do with timing.

JM
Old Sun Feb 08, 2009, 10:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrUmpire View Post
The pause is a rubber crutch. It does not provide time to see or evaluate a pitch. It that wasn't done by the proper use of the eyes, it cannot be done by pausing.

I know a pause was taught for years to amateur umpires, mostly by amateur umpires. Never the less, it is BS.

One does not have to be a master to work correctly. That's another crutch.
Okay, Mr. Umpire. I will make sure never to give a broadly based point of view around you.
Old Sun Feb 08, 2009, 10:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Okay, Mr. Umpire. I will make sure never to give a broadly based point of view around you.
I'm sure pausing is a broadly based point of view....I see a whole lot of guys at a wide range of levels that have no idea what they are doing.
Old Sun Feb 08, 2009, 10:51pm
Official Forum Member

No, I was presenting a viewpoint that considered others. I do that. I think of others. You think of yourself a lot.

I suppose if I were of such lofty stature as you claim, I might be unable to think of anyone other than myself.

What a relief I am not.

Last edited by Kevin Finnerty; Sun Feb 08, 2009 at 11:00pm.
Old Sun Feb 08, 2009, 11:09pm
Official Forum Member

Cool

Kevin,

Take a deep breath.

I wonder if you and MrUmpire & LDUB aren't closer to "violent agreement" than you realize.

Earlier, you said,

Quote:
The pause is a built-in buffer that some umpires might need to fully evaluate a borderline call and deliver it without appearing inconsistent.
That is almost correct, but not quite. And, I believe gets to the heart of the matter.

ALL umpires need a "buffer" to call a pitch - but not just "borderline" pitches, every single pitch. But, the "pause" is not something you "do", it's the natural result of "proper use of the eyes".

When you don't use your eyes properly, you tend to call the "easy" pitches too quickly, the "nut-cutters" too slowly and indecisively, and you miss "easy" pitches that turned out to be not so "easy" as you had anticipated before the ball reached the plate.

As MrUmpire eloquently stated earlier with regard to inserting an artificial "pause",

Quote:
Never the less, it is BS.
It most certainly is.

However, with proper use of the eyes, there will definitely tend to be a consistent "pause" between the pitch reaching the catcher and the umpire calling the pitch. Every pitch, not just "borderline" pitches.

JM
Old Sun Feb 08, 2009, 11:18pm
Official Forum Member

Hey, a broad-minded guy!

Nice change of pace. Thanks, JM.
Old Sun Feb 08, 2009, 11:40pm
Official Forum Member

Cool

Quote:
Will it not take one's brain longer to decide if a borderline pitch is a strike? ...
canadaump6,

BTFOOM.

But, even if it does, it really doesn't matter. Because it would be milliseconds at the most, and would not be perceivable to anyone.

Oddly, when you track the pitch correctly with your eyes, the "borderline" pitches are almost as easy to call as a pitch that's in the dirt before it reaches the plate.

When you don't track it properly, those "borderline" pitches can be very difficult to call, and you might have a "moment of indecision" - which could produce a noticeable "delay" in your call.

I find the concept very simple to understand, and it makes perfect sense to me. I am also very frustrated with my inability to do it on every pitch in every game I work. I think I'm getting better, but I'm not as far along as I'd like to be. It's harder to do than it sounds.

JM
Old Mon Feb 09, 2009, 12:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

The "broadness" of the point was not at issue. The inaccuracy was.
Old Mon Feb 09, 2009, 12:56am
Official Forum Member

Not sure what alot of the hubub is here. Timing is essential to calling a consistent zone. As mentioned earlier the obvious strike doesn't really require good timing. HOWEVER, by evaluating the borderline pitch, I feel a few more strikes can be given in a game. There have been a few times I have needed to slow down a bit to get that borderline pitch depending on the level I was working. I don't care about the backlash I will get here but the level you are doing will determine your zone. I cannot give the 2 ball outside pitch in a D1 game but I better give it in a HS Var game or I will only invite a walkathon. Just my dos pesos.
Old Mon Feb 09, 2009, 01:02am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Hey, a broad-minded guy!

Nice change of pace. Thanks, JM.
Old Mon Feb 09, 2009, 01:04am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Will it not take one's brain longer to decide if a borderline pitch is a strike?
With the proper use of the eyes, you will find that there are fewer borderline pitches.
Old Mon Feb 09, 2009, 01:12am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UmpJM (nee CoachJM) View Post
canadaump6,

I think Jim Evans is wrong - well, his "point" isn't wrong, but how he says it is. Timing is not the "proper use of the eyes" - it's really the "proper use of the brain".

JM
Jim isn't wrong here. What he is discussing are physical mechanics....proper ones v. those that provide no assistance to getting calls correct. It begins with the eyes. He elaborates on what the eyes should be doing, where they move to, where they stay fixed, what they need to focus on, whether one is discussing plate or base calls.

The brain portion, while you may feel improperly so, is, I believe, is properly not discussed.

Would you include it in every discussion in which it plays a part...that is, then EVERY discussion? Of course not. Use the eyes properly, and for those smart enough to tie their plate shoes, the brain will follow.

Don't over think this. As Jim says, this isn't rocket science. Train your eyes to work properly and you will see what you need to see in the amount of time you need to see it.