The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 29, 2009, 09:13am
Official Forum Member

foul tip

I was behind the plate working a pitching scrimmage yesterday. Pitcher throws high and inside, batter foul tips a fastball(around 80) that hits me square in the mask. the thrust knocks me back to the batting cage(mask stayed on!!). Afterwards my left ear was ringing and behind the left ear was sore. Since it was a direct shot and not a glancing blow, I wondered why. the ear still doesn't seem quite right today, but I'm ok.

now the question. I was chewing gum and it was probably on the left side. One of the other umps there doing the practice said it might have been the gum chewing that did that.

Any feedback from umps that have taken one too many shots.
Old Thu Jan 29, 2009, 09:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachbum View Post
I was behind the plate working a pitching scrimmage yesterday. Pitcher throws high and inside, batter foul tips a fastball(around 80) that hits me square in the mask. the thrust knocks me back to the batting cage(mask stayed on!!). Afterwards my left ear was ringing and behind the left ear was sore. Since it was a direct shot and not a glancing blow, I wondered why. the ear still doesn't seem quite right today, but I'm ok.

now the question. I was chewing gum and it was probably on the left side. One of the other umps there doing the practice said it might have been the gum chewing that did that.

Your mask was on too tightly.
Old Thu Jan 29, 2009, 09:40am
Official Forum Member

...had something happen when I got hit, while chewing gum........but I can't remember what it was.
Old Thu Jan 29, 2009, 09:50am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to bobbybanaduck
impossible.
Old Thu Jan 29, 2009, 10:11am
Stop staring at me swan.

if worn properly, the masks are designed to deflect the blow, but in order for the mask to work the right way, it has to disburse the energy to take the blow off of the point of impact.
Old Thu Jan 29, 2009, 10:14am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachbum View Post

I've taken plenty of shots to my masks over the years. Every couple of years I retire a mask due to the dents to the tubular steel / composite alloys, broken welds, ect. It is a trust thing with your equipment, if you don't trust it, don't wear it and definitely don't get behind the dish if you don't trust your equipment to protect you.

Here are some suggestions, please look up the difference between a foul tip and a foul ball. It would be just like the infamous "Magic Bullet" theory, (think Warren Commission - JFK Assination for those that have never heard of this), that you get tagged by a foul tip. Example, Pitched ball goes from bat to catcher glove, to your mask, then back to catchers glove to catch, unless this is HS where any fielder can catch the ball so long as it went from the bat to the catchers glove first.

If you don't chew gum on a regular basis, then your jaw will be sore the next couple of days. It's like any muscle that gets sore from over exertion, if you don't use them on a regular basis, then this could be the source. I've never been a gum fan, so whenever my jaw is sore, it's usually because I chewed some gum the day before.

Your mask was probably too tight. To adjust, put your hat on first, put your mask on, lean over so that your mask is parallel to the ground and your looking down. You should be able to slip at least two fingers side by side between the mask and your chin / cheeks. Effectively the mask should hang from the brim of your hat the straps just hold the mask to your face.

Inspect your equipent before and after every game, especially the mask. This one piece of equipment protects the most important tool you use every game. Carry a spare in your vehicle, just incase you need to retire one before or during a game. Then you can order another one when you get home.

Hope this helps.
Old Thu Jan 29, 2009, 10:14am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrUmpire View Post
Your mask was on too tightly.
In general, I agree. But, there will probably be that one spot on a mask where a "straight shot" will disburse the energy equally and the mask will stay on.

And, to the OP, it was a "foul ball" not a "foul tip."
Old Thu Jan 29, 2009, 10:33am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to UmpJM
Cool

shickenbottom,

Quote:
...Example, Pitched ball goes from bat to catcher glove, to your mask, then back to catchers glove to catch, unless this is HS where any fielder can catch the ball so long as it went from the bat to the catchers glove first. ...
Even in Fedlandia, this would be nothing but an "uncaught foul". Once it touched your mask, even though it hit the catcher's mitt first, the ball was no longer "in flight".

JM
Old Thu Jan 29, 2009, 12:51pm
Official Forum Member

To clarify, the ball never touched the catcher's glove(as I am told, since I don't exactly remember), the ball came off of the bat and came directly to the center of my mask. this is why it probably didn't fly off.

I am going in right now and check the mask to see if it is too tight. Although i was working a game about 3 months ago and the foul was alittle higher on the mask and the mask came off and went to the back fence by itself.

thanks for all of the advise...keep it comming.
Old Thu Jan 29, 2009, 01:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
In general, I agree. But, there will probably be that one spot on a mask where a "straight shot" will disburse the energy equally and the mask will stay on.

And, to the OP, it was a "foul ball" not a "foul tip."
so it only took 6 posts for someone to correct him on the "foul tip"

you guys are slacking.
Old Thu Jan 29, 2009, 01:57pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to UmpJM
JFlores,

What, you missed bobbybanaduck's post?

JM
Old Thu Jan 29, 2009, 02:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UmpJM (nee CoachJM) View Post
JFlores,

What, you missed bobbybanaduck's post?

JM
ahh you got me there, one word answers are the norm.
Old Thu Jan 29, 2009, 03:27pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to bobbybanaduck
Old Thu Jan 29, 2009, 07:23pm
Official Forum Member

Mayo Clinic Report

Quote:
Head injuries or neck injuries. These neurological disorders affect nerves or brain function linked to hearing. Head or neck injuries generally cause tinnitus in only one ear. http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/tin...SECTION=causes
Let us know what happens.

What brand and model of mask were you wearing?

Last edited by SAump; Thu Jan 29, 2009 at 07:28pm.
Old Fri Jan 30, 2009, 07:33am
Official Forum Member

I use a honeg's K84 mask.

Everything is fine now, I guess the direct impact, instead of a glancing blow caused the problem.