Thread: foul tip
View Single Post
Old Thu Jan 29, 2009, 10:14am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachbum View Post
I was behind the plate working a pitching scrimmage yesterday. Pitcher throws high and inside, batter foul tips a fastball(around 80) that hits me square in the mask. the thrust knocks me back to the batting cage(mask stayed on!!). Afterwards my left ear was ringing and behind the left ear was sore. Since it was a direct shot and not a glancing blow, I wondered why. the ear still doesn't seem quite right today, but I'm ok.

now the question. I was chewing gum and it was probably on the left side. One of the other umps there doing the practice said it might have been the gum chewing that did that.

Any feedback from umps that have taken one too many shots.
I've taken plenty of shots to my masks over the years. Every couple of years I retire a mask due to the dents to the tubular steel / composite alloys, broken welds, ect. It is a trust thing with your equipment, if you don't trust it, don't wear it and definitely don't get behind the dish if you don't trust your equipment to protect you.

Here are some suggestions, please look up the difference between a foul tip and a foul ball. It would be just like the infamous "Magic Bullet" theory, (think Warren Commission - JFK Assination for those that have never heard of this), that you get tagged by a foul tip. Example, Pitched ball goes from bat to catcher glove, to your mask, then back to catchers glove to catch, unless this is HS where any fielder can catch the ball so long as it went from the bat to the catchers glove first.

If you don't chew gum on a regular basis, then your jaw will be sore the next couple of days. It's like any muscle that gets sore from over exertion, if you don't use them on a regular basis, then this could be the source. I've never been a gum fan, so whenever my jaw is sore, it's usually because I chewed some gum the day before.

Your mask was probably too tight. To adjust, put your hat on first, put your mask on, lean over so that your mask is parallel to the ground and your looking down. You should be able to slip at least two fingers side by side between the mask and your chin / cheeks. Effectively the mask should hang from the brim of your hat the straps just hold the mask to your face.

Inspect your equipent before and after every game, especially the mask. This one piece of equipment protects the most important tool you use every game. Carry a spare in your vehicle, just incase you need to retire one before or during a game. Then you can order another one when you get home.

Hope this helps.