The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 26, 2009, 12:58pm
Official Forum Member

Best Game Ever

Was this a worthwhile event? Should kids this age be getting this kind of hype or should the organizers put their efforts towards College baseball? Was it silly of the fans to be asking for the kids' autographs when they are only 10 years old?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Nbkb...e=channel_page
Old Mon Jan 26, 2009, 01:17pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by tip184 View Post
Was this a worthwhile event? Should kids this age be getting this kind of hype or should the organizers put their efforts towards College baseball? Was it silly of the fans to be asking for the kids' autographs when they are only 10 years old?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Nbkb...e=channel_page
Without even watching this video (which I'm not going to watch), I can say unquestionably that it is extremely silly, not to mention pathetic and asinine, to ever ask any 10 year-old child for their autograph, and I don't care if they're Shirley Temple Black.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Mon Jan 26, 2009, 01:54pm
Official Forum Member

Watch the video, Steve.

It's like an expansive Candid Camera kind of deal, where they plant endless fans and banners and all the other trappings of a big ballgame and spring it on a bunch of 12-year-olds and their families. And it's right here in Hermosa. It's pretty cool.

But I agree about the autograph thing, except the signed baseball from my CCYB/USSSA 14-year-old club team is a friggin' treasure already, and they're all only about 19 or 20 by now. The team stole it from the box during the national tournament and passed it around behind my back and they all signed it. There's five D-I players and two minor leaguers on that ball.

Last edited by Kevin Finnerty; Mon Jan 26, 2009 at 02:00pm.
Old Mon Jan 26, 2009, 03:02pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to bobbybanaduck
If the kid @ 3:14 is 10, I'm Shirley Temple. The mound is too high.
Old Mon Jan 26, 2009, 03:12pm
Official Forum Member

It looks like Bronco.
Old Mon Jan 26, 2009, 09:09pm
Official Forum Member

For those of you keeping track of Jim Gray's career....
Old Tue Jan 27, 2009, 12:02am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Finnerty View Post
It looks like Bronco.
I think you're right. Bronco has lead-offs (and all the other "real" baseball) and these guys were around 11-12 with a 13 year old at 3:14. He must have been near the cut-off point for age.

It looked like a colossal waste of time, IMO.

Oh, and for the record, I've never been as huge as that plate umpire! Could they have found any larger umpires for this?
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Tue Jan 27, 2009, 12:17am
Official Forum Member

When our local Little League team won the Western Region final, and was on it's way to Williamsport, they had a one day fundraiser for the trip. Team posters were made, and the kids set up tables at the field and autographed them.

Luckily, all the local news stations did a live broadcast from the park, and the turnout was pretty good. They raised well into the five figures, and paid for all the families to go. So, sometimes those kids autographs are even worth something.
Old Tue Jan 27, 2009, 01:47am
Archaic Power Monger

It may seem to be a little much but everyone there really seemed to be having a good time. As a kid, I would've been thrilled to play in that game. At their age, who didn't dream of playing in a big league game on TV?
Old Tue Jan 27, 2009, 10:03am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
It may seem to be a little much but everyone there really seemed to be having a good time. As a kid, I would've been thrilled to play in that game. At their age, who didn't dream of playing in a big league game on TV?
It's not the big leagues though. It isn't even professional or college baseball. It's all just roleplaying. The kids can barely hit the ball out of the infield on the fly.
Old Tue Jan 27, 2009, 12:02pm
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
It's not the big leagues though. It isn't even professional or college baseball. It's all just roleplaying. The kids can barely hit the ball out of the infield on the fly.
I guess my answer to that is "So what?" Seems like everyone had a good time in a PONY league game.
Old Tue Jan 27, 2009, 02:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Here I though I was the board's old curmudgeon.

An organization suprised two youth teams playing a game of ball by gving them a very small taste of what the "bigs" might be like. In all liklihood, these kids will never have that taste again.

This isn't a case of parents doting on and spoiling their kids, Even they were taken by surprise.

This isn't a case of kids demanding that kind of treatment.

This isn't a case of a coach going overboard.

This was just a fun surprise that made the kids' day....perhaps even lifetime.

No harm.

"Lighten up, Francis."
Old Tue Jan 27, 2009, 05:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Neither could I when I was 10, but that doesn't mean I wasn't out at the field from sunup to sundown having a great time anytime I got to play baseball.

At least the kids are outside instead of playing video games and scarfing Doritos.
Old Tue Jan 27, 2009, 05:40pm
Official Forum Member

I did manage a Juniors team named the Lugnuts. I always liked shouting "GO NUTS!" or "WE'RE GETTING SCREWED!"
Old Tue Jan 27, 2009, 07:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonInKansas View Post
Neither could I when I was 10, but that doesn't mean I wasn't out at the field from sunup to sundown having a great time anytime I got to play baseball.

At least the kids are outside instead of playing video games and scarfing Doritos.
Or skateboarding down a friggin' handrail at the mall!