The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   Best Game Ever (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/51208-best-game-ever.html)

tip184 Mon Jan 26, 2009 12:58pm

Best Game Ever

Was this a worthwhile event? Should kids this age be getting this kind of hype or should the organizers put their efforts towards College baseball? Was it silly of the fans to be asking for the kids' autographs when they are only 10 years old?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Nbkb...e=channel_page

SanDiegoSteve Mon Jan 26, 2009 01:17pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by tip184 (Post 572480)
Was this a worthwhile event? Should kids this age be getting this kind of hype or should the organizers put their efforts towards College baseball? Was it silly of the fans to be asking for the kids' autographs when they are only 10 years old?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Nbkb...e=channel_page

Without even watching this video (which I'm not going to watch), I can say unquestionably that it is extremely silly, not to mention pathetic and asinine, to ever ask any 10 year-old child for their autograph, and I don't care if they're Shirley Temple Black.

Kevin Finnerty Mon Jan 26, 2009 01:54pm

Watch the video, Steve.

It's like an expansive Candid Camera kind of deal, where they plant endless fans and banners and all the other trappings of a big ballgame and spring it on a bunch of 12-year-olds and their families. And it's right here in Hermosa. It's pretty cool.

But I agree about the autograph thing, except the signed baseball from my CCYB/USSSA 14-year-old club team is a friggin' treasure already, and they're all only about 19 or 20 by now. The team stole it from the box during the national tournament and passed it around behind my back and they all signed it. There's five D-I players and two minor leaguers on that ball.

bobbybanaduck Mon Jan 26, 2009 03:02pm

If the kid @ 3:14 is 10, I'm Shirley Temple. The mound is too high.

Kevin Finnerty Mon Jan 26, 2009 03:12pm

It looks like Bronco.

Nigel Tufnel Mon Jan 26, 2009 09:09pm

For those of you keeping track of Jim Gray's career....

SanDiegoSteve Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:02am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin Finnerty (Post 572578)
It looks like Bronco.

I think you're right. Bronco has lead-offs (and all the other "real" baseball) and these guys were around 11-12 with a 13 year old at 3:14. He must have been near the cut-off point for age.

It looked like a colossal waste of time, IMO.

Oh, and for the record, I've never been as huge as that plate umpire! Could they have found any larger umpires for this?

kylejt Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:17am

When our local Little League team won the Western Region final, and was on it's way to Williamsport, they had a one day fundraiser for the trip. Team posters were made, and the kids set up tables at the field and autographed them.

Luckily, all the local news stations did a live broadcast from the park, and the turnout was pretty good. They raised well into the five figures, and paid for all the families to go. So, sometimes those kids autographs are even worth something.

Welpe Tue Jan 27, 2009 01:47am

It may seem to be a little much but everyone there really seemed to be having a good time. As a kid, I would've been thrilled to play in that game. At their age, who didn't dream of playing in a big league game on TV?

tip184 Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:03am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Welpe (Post 572776)
It may seem to be a little much but everyone there really seemed to be having a good time. As a kid, I would've been thrilled to play in that game. At their age, who didn't dream of playing in a big league game on TV?

It's not the big leagues though. It isn't even professional or college baseball. It's all just roleplaying. The kids can barely hit the ball out of the infield on the fly.

Welpe Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:02pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by tip184 (Post 572860)
It's not the big leagues though. It isn't even professional or college baseball. It's all just roleplaying. The kids can barely hit the ball out of the infield on the fly.

I guess my answer to that is "So what?" Seems like everyone had a good time in a PONY league game.

MrUmpire Tue Jan 27, 2009 02:21pm

Quote:

Here I though I was the board's old curmudgeon.

An organization suprised two youth teams playing a game of ball by gving them a very small taste of what the "bigs" might be like. In all liklihood, these kids will never have that taste again.

This isn't a case of parents doting on and spoiling their kids, Even they were taken by surprise.

This isn't a case of kids demanding that kind of treatment.

This isn't a case of a coach going overboard.

This was just a fun surprise that made the kids' day....perhaps even lifetime.

No harm.

"Lighten up, Francis."

DonInKansas Tue Jan 27, 2009 05:31pm

Quote:

Neither could I when I was 10, but that doesn't mean I wasn't out at the field from sunup to sundown having a great time anytime I got to play baseball.

At least the kids are outside instead of playing video games and scarfing Doritos.

kylejt Tue Jan 27, 2009 05:40pm

I did manage a Juniors team named the Lugnuts. I always liked shouting "GO NUTS!" or "WE'RE GETTING SCREWED!"

Kevin Finnerty Tue Jan 27, 2009 07:37pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by DonInKansas (Post 573027)
Neither could I when I was 10, but that doesn't mean I wasn't out at the field from sunup to sundown having a great time anytime I got to play baseball.

At least the kids are outside instead of playing video games and scarfing Doritos.

Or skateboarding down a friggin' handrail at the mall!