The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 06, 2009, 11:50am
In Time Out

Gold vs Platinum - questions on throat/neck protection

I have a platinum that's many years old and needs replacing. No complaints, although in the early days I cut the pad off the top (that didn't do much to protect my neck, but did a lot to get in the way of my mask).

Anyway, for anyone who has used both the gold and platinum....what is your preference and why?

Thanks - Hock9
Old Tue Jan 06, 2009, 01:28pm
Official Forum Member

I use the Platinum and have tried on the Gold, and I can throw better in the Platinum. I like throwing, because it keeps the game moving, and it keeps my arm from becoming petrified. The Gold was a little more restrictive on the shoulder movements.

But that's just me.

From what I can tell, they're the two best. But if the throat pad bugs you and you can move okay in the Gold, go with the Gold.

If you like the Platinum: Wilson Platinum Umpire Chest Protector - eBay (item 300284227725 end time Jan-08-09 12:20:52 PST)
Old Tue Jan 06, 2009, 02:21pm
Official Forum Member

I own the Gold and have tried the Platinum. I like the Gold better because the padding is thicker maybe 3/4", and with the Platinum I just didn't feel like my arms could rest comfortably at my side.

Both have excellent protection if worn correctly and both are similarly priced.

No I believe the platinum was a bit longer and if your too much taller than me (5'10") you may be leaving your bottom ribs exposed. My ribs are just at the very end making a perfect fit.
Old Tue Jan 06, 2009, 02:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emperor Ump View Post
I own the Gold and have tried the Platinum. I like the Gold better because the padding is thicker maybe 3/4", and with the Platinum I just didn't feel like my arms could rest comfortably at my side.

Both have excellent protection if worn correctly and both are similarly priced.

No I believe the platinum was a bit longer and if your too much taller than me (5'10") you may be leaving your bottom ribs exposed. My ribs are just at the very end making a perfect fit.
I forgot that part. Another reason I chose the Platinum is that it covered a little more.
Old Tue Jan 06, 2009, 03:06pm
Official Forum Member

Riddle me this?

I wonder why the Gold costs more than the Platinum at most places? Isn't Platinum considered to be more protective?

I have had both the WV Platinum and the WV Gold and the WV Original. I could not get my shirts over the Platinum and My arms were not comfortable so I sent it back without ever using it in a game.

I now have the Gold in the Small-Medium size. I absolutely love it and feel supremely protected in the areas it covers. It is nearly impossible to protect everything on your body but the Gold does a great job for me in all the places that matter. I never feel a thing. (when the ball hits the CP instead of my arms, hands, etc.)

When I had the Original WestVest with the adjustable plates, it worked fine but I had a problem with my stance being too high and I took a pitch directly to the gut that was 87mph. (the catcher sucked and the pitcher had a lot of movement on his pitches) The kid who threw it three years ago signed with the Rangers this past summer for 1.25 million. It was a hand-me-down and it had not been taken care of (i.e. washed) it stunk terribly and washing it and spraying Febreeze did not help. So, I began my quest for the perfect CP. I had Honig's K-1, Diamond iX3, PlusPOS BB 2000 and 2200. Then I tried the Platinum and finally settled on the Gold.

Each one has positive and negative aspects. For me the WV Gold is best at this point in time. In the future-who knows.

Try as many as you can before you buy.
"We are the stewards of baseball. Our "customers" aren't schools, or coaches, or conferences. Our customer is the game itself." Warren Wilson, quoted by Carl Childress, Officiating.com article, June 3, 2008.
Old Wed Jan 07, 2009, 08:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Finnerty View Post
I use the Platinum and have tried on the Gold, and I can throw better in the Platinum.
Wow.
Old Thu Jan 08, 2009, 07:09pm
In Time Out

Exactly what the catcher is for. Protection and throwing the ball to the pitcher.
Old Thu Jan 08, 2009, 07:39pm
Official Forum Member

Hmmm,

Quote:
" . . . I can throw better in the Platinum."
I have not thrown a baseball as a plate umpire in 35 years.

I teach all umpires to hand the ball to F2.

Regards,
Old Thu Jan 08, 2009, 07:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim C View Post

Regards,
I gotcha. But there are many umpires who can still throw and do enjoy throwing, and I'm one of them. And our games go at a little better pace because of it. Here, it's not greatly encouraged, but it's quietly encouraged and definitely allowed. So if I'm not too sore, I throw. When a guy gives up a bomb, I walk halfway out and discreetly flip. And some catchers protect you better if you save them some work.

I pitched, I caught and I umpire, so I throw because I still can, I guess. I also run hard, instead of jogging, because I still can.

Last edited by Kevin Finnerty; Thu Jan 08, 2009 at 08:01pm.
Old Thu Jan 08, 2009, 08:10pm
Official Forum Member

We have a list around here: "Umpires who throw like (rhymes with witches)." You don't want to be on it.

I like throwing a new ball in. It's not frowned upon, but the general teaching is to hand it off.
Old Fri Jan 09, 2009, 08:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim C View Post

Regards,
I agree, I do not throw the ball to the pitcher and I also teach new umpires to let F2 do the throwing.
Old Fri Jan 09, 2009, 08:50am
Official Forum Member

Well,

Quote:
"And some catchers protect you better if you save them some work."
After working for a week behind two major league catchers I found they were exactly opposite of this statement. BOTH catchers told me: "Tee, it is our job to throw the ball to the pitcher not yours."

Over the years I have NEVER had a catcher complain (or even seem distraught) when I say during the first warm-up tosses: " . . . and I don't throw the ball to the pitcher I will hand it to you."

I was working the bases one night when my plate umpire partner fired one back to the pitcher . . . pitcher wasn't looking and nailed him right between the eyes.

That umpire never tossed a ball back to a pitcher again.

Regards,
Old Fri Jan 09, 2009, 08:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I gotcha. But there are many umpires who can still throw and do enjoy throwing, and I'm one of them.
I'm one of them, too. But, I still hand the ball to the catcher 98% of the time (exceptions: F2 gets dinged; F2 chases a looping foul back to the screen and dives for the ball, F1 gives up a dinger -- I'll either toss to F1 or F2 depending on what F2 is doing, HBP -- if I need to get out between BR and F1 or I need to talk to F1, etc.)
Old Fri Jan 09, 2009, 11:21am
Official Forum Member

I'm with Bob on this one...

I toss a ball to pitcher if catcher is having equipment issues, retreiving mask/helmet, etc. and if a HBP and I am already out front of the plate or after a HR unless catcher requests ball and time to go talk to pitcher then I hand it to him.
"We are the stewards of baseball. Our "customers" aren't schools, or coaches, or conferences. Our customer is the game itself." Warren Wilson, quoted by Carl Childress, Officiating.com article, June 3, 2008.
Old Fri Jan 09, 2009, 12:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I gotcha. But there are many umpires who can still throw and do enjoy throwing, and I'm one of them. And our games go at a little better pace because of it. Here, it's not greatly encouraged, but it's quietly encouraged and definitely allowed. So if I'm not too sore, I throw. When a guy gives up a bomb, I walk halfway out and discreetly flip. And some catchers protect you better if you save them some work.

I pitched, I caught and I umpire, so I throw because I still can, I guess. I also run hard, instead of jogging, because I still can.
The pitcher has a new ball in his glove before the foul ball hits the ground. Even if you give the ball to F2, F1 is still watching the ball bounce in the parking lot.