The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 01, 2009, 10:54am
Official Forum Member

Gray Area Strikes

Have been contemplating the gray area for 2009.
At lower levels of baseball I call every strike I can resonably get.
As the talent level moves up, my strike zone tightens up.

High School Varsity
Pitch low in the strike zone that could be called either way. (Gray Area)
You want to be consistant so would you lean toward strikes or balls and why.

High in the strike zone?
Inside/Outside??

Before someone claims the strike zone is the strike zone, umpires are human and you have to decide what you just observed and your decision will be inaccurate at times.
Old Thu Jan 01, 2009, 11:31am
Official Forum Member

I'm tight without trying. I've grown up as a hitter, and a hitting instructor and my son's a big slugger, so I've naturally developed into a hitter's umpire. I have heard guys who say they call the plate, plus the width of two balls on either side. I virtually always call only a strike a strike, and I don't care how long the game is. I know that at some of the higher levels, the pitchers expect a wider zone, and I hope not to make those guys throw too many pitches, but I take the strike zone seriously and I don't want to cheat 18 hitters.

High School varsity and above:

Corners: I call the ball that's scraping the black a strike. If the guy nails his spot a couple of inches off the corner (3 in. tops) and the catcher sticks it, it's a strike. Otherwise, I ball it.

Bottom: If the top of the ball appears to pass at the bottom of the guy's kneecap, I have a strike.

Top: If the bottom of the ball appears to scrape the top of the belt, I have a strike.

I also think I am a little less apt to have a strike on a high fastball than a high bender.

I do hear the C-word a hell of a lot: Consistent.

Last edited by Kevin Finnerty; Thu Jan 01, 2009 at 12:32pm.
Old Thu Jan 01, 2009, 01:52pm
Official Forum Member

I think Finnerty has a good zone philosophy and....

way of explaining it.

I subscribe to the same zone as Finnerty for high school varsity, legion and college.

I will move it up for younger players to just under the letters of the shirt (approximately one-half the distance between the armpits and the belt).

An NCAA D-1 head coach (SEC) (former pitching coach) and I discussed strike zones this fall during fall ball. He had asked the other umpires working to call any pitch that they had even the slightest bit of doubt about- a strike. He looked at me and said, you I don't need to ask you that. I considered it a complement. Of course he had seen me before and knew my philosophy.

Sometimes the college hitters early in the game will ask "is that as low as it gets?" when i call a lower end of the zone strike. I usually tell them if it is. If it isn't I will say "I'm not sure yet".

So far no complaints from anyone.

My opinion and advice-call everything that is close a strike and later in the game you don't have to call anything close as the batters become hitters and swing the bats. I usually have five or six called K3's in the first 3 or 4 innings of a game (both teams) and after that, rarely do I have to ring anyone up.
"We are the stewards of baseball. Our "customers" aren't schools, or coaches, or conferences. Our customer is the game itself." Warren Wilson, quoted by Carl Childress, Officiating.com article, June 3, 2008.
Old Thu Jan 01, 2009, 02:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Finnerty View Post

Corners: I call the ball that's scraping the black a strike. If the guy nails his spot a couple of inches off the corner (3 in. tops) and the catcher sticks it, it's a strike. Otherwise, I ball it.

Bottom: If the top of the ball appears to pass at the bottom of the guy's kneecap, I have a strike.

Top: If the bottom of the ball appears to scrape the top of the belt, I have a strike.

I also think I am a little less apt to have a strike on a high fastball than a high bender.

I like it Kevin. I also try to ring up every pitch I consider borderline, unless F2 makes it look like a ball.
Old Thu Jan 01, 2009, 02:04pm
Official Forum Member

strikes baby!
Old Thu Jan 01, 2009, 02:46pm
Official Forum Member

Every ball that leaves the pitcher's hand is a strike unless it proves itself to be otherwise!
Old Thu Jan 01, 2009, 02:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorDave View Post

Really? None? Never? No one has ever complained about a strike or ball call, EVER?

You da man!!!!!
Old Thu Jan 01, 2009, 03:06pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorDave View Post
Wow, and I thought I was good!
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Thu Jan 01, 2009, 03:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by btdt View Post

High School Varsity
Pitch low in the strike zone that could be called either way. (Gray Area)
You want to be consistant so would you lean toward strikes or balls and why.
If, as you wrote, I saw the pitch being in the strike zone, it's a strike. I don't see pitches in the strike zone as being in a gray area.

Regarding borderline pitches I would agree with Kevin F.
Old Thu Jan 01, 2009, 03:23pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAump View Post
Moderator, why do you continue to bail these guys out of a gray area?

I write paragraph after paragraph. They pick one line up out of context and hammer away into the night. What added value do I get from a troll on the softball, baseball, football, and basketball board? ump153 continually misses a base and is allowed to score. I have the ball and appeal his continuous failure to re-touch a missed base.

You would think with all the contractual obligations, training, and MLB connections; they would have posted something of substance by now which SethPDX will most likely not-touch.
Maybe because you write paragraph after paragraph of nonsense, did you ever consider that? Hmmmmm???????
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Thu Jan 01, 2009, 05:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzy6900 View Post
Every ball that leaves the pitcher's hand is a strike unless it proves itself to be otherwise!
Sounds good to me.
Old Thu Jan 01, 2009, 09:25pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Cub42
Call strikes. Yes, be consistent, and don't get ridiculous, but call strikes. Don't think about being a hitter. Pause, Read, React. Your timing is the key.
Old Thu Jan 01, 2009, 09:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Finnerty View Post
I'm tight without trying....

I tend to call pitches along the same lines as Kevin. I try to give a little on the corners, but I think I tend to be tight. It's something I'm always working on. My zone has been called consistent for many years by many different people, so I guess the work I put into my plate game has been paying off.

Lastly, Ozzy offers some good advice I've heard more than once.
Old Thu Jan 01, 2009, 09:58pm
Official Forum Member

Thank you, gentlemen.

The validation feels pretty good, that's for sure.
Old Thu Jan 01, 2009, 10:53pm
Official Forum Member

We were told us at a college camp that the plate is 17" and the ball is 2.5" wide so really you just expanded the plate by 5" wider, cause any part of the ball that touches the plate should be called a strike right? So if that outside pitch touched the outside of the edge of the plate it should be called a strike right?

Plus you can even go almost another ball outside of that, the coaches and fans cant see inside and outside just up and down in the strike zone right?