Old Tue Nov 04, 2008, 12:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Finnerty View Post
This is the shoe??

They must be kidding. Again, I must say:

New Balance

No Brainer
I don't think it looks that bad. I mean, it looks just like the field shoe that many people love.

I wouldn't be opposed to trying it out. The only thing I think is the the white is a little bit excessive but if its comfortable and cleans up easy that's all I that I personally look for.

I also must add that a low top sneaker like plate shoe is more attractive to me than the high top NB's.
Old Tue Nov 04, 2008, 01:10pm
Official Forum Member

This is the first good look I've had at them. But I agree the white is too much. I only recently got over having white on the plate shoes at all, with the +POS and NB shoes, but this may send my progress into regression. That would probably keep me from getting them. But if they had a more subtle markings I'd at least give them a try. But for now I'll stick with the NB 450's.
Old Tue Nov 04, 2008, 02:39pm

Isn't everyone aware that all you have to do is black out the white if you don't care for it? Some black leather dye and you're in business.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Tue Nov 04, 2008, 04:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve View Post
Isn't everyone aware that all you have to do is black out the white if you don't care for it? Some black leather dye and you're in business.
Absolutely, and Dave wrote a great post once on how to do it and make it look good. I just want to be able to buy them off the shelf the way I like them.
Old Wed Nov 05, 2008, 06:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Finnerty View Post
This is the shoe??

They must be kidding.

This is the early styling. They've been changed. The metatarsal plate is very different.
Old Wed Nov 05, 2008, 10:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ump153 View Post
This is the early styling. They've been changed. The metatarsal plate is very different.
Good. That looks like Shamu is humping my foot.
Old Thu Nov 06, 2008, 10:03am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve View Post
Trying to black out all of that will look ridiculous. The N on the NB blacks out real well, but all of that crap? No way.
Old Thu Nov 06, 2008, 11:54am
Official Forum Member

Kevin,
Before switching over to the NB's, I wore the Asics base show. I blacked out all the white and you could not tell it was not an all black shoe. I doubt I'll ever buy the Reebok plate shoe, not because of the excessive white, but because I have always felt Reebok products just don't last. That being said I have had 50 shares of Reebok stock since 1981 when they only made fitness shoes. Paid $12.50 a share.
Old Thu Nov 06, 2008, 08:12pm
Official Forum Member

Just out of curiosity. Did Vann's use to make a plate shoe? Base shoe? How did they wear and feel? How did they hold up? How protective were they (could they take shot)? What happened to them? Does anyone still have a pair that has held up?
Old Thu Nov 06, 2008, 09:24pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by tballump View Post
Just out of curiosity. Did Vann's use to make a plate shoe? Base shoe? How did they wear and feel? How did they hold up? How protective were they (could they take shot)? What happened to them? Does anyone still have a pair that has held up?
I used to have both the Vans plate and base shoes back in the 80s. IIRC they were discontinued shortly thereafter. They felt pretty good, held up well and could take a shot. The plate shoes had steel toes and were similar to the Riddell XS (or Exclusive Shoe) plate shoes of the day. Plus, they had that ultra-cool looking white V on the sides.

My Vans were part of a gear bag which was stolen from my storage unit by some jack-booted thug(s). Included in the bag was a Reach RMCP protector and matching leg guards, a Wilson mask and various umpire accessories.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Thu Nov 06, 2008, 11:33pm
Official Forum Member

SDS

Thanks for the update on the shoes. Oh yeah, thanks for sticking up for TH in one of your posts after reading all about that miserable situation for years, until it was all finally settled. I always felt he and the others got a rotten deal. That was a nice article on him in the Louisville paper.

Last edited by tballump; Thu Nov 06, 2008 at 11:38pm.
Old Fri Nov 07, 2008, 10:03am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klokard View Post
Kevin,
Before switching over to the NB's, I wore the Asics base show. I blacked out all the white and you could not tell it was not an all black shoe. I doubt I'll ever buy the Reebok plate shoe, not because of the excessive white, but because I have always felt Reebok products just don't last. That being said I have had 50 shares of Reebok stock since 1981 when they only made fitness shoes. Paid $12.50 a share.
We had a restaurant in the 1980s and there was a guy who boasted that his 2000 shares of stock in this little athletic shoe company was going to put his kids through college. It had to be 1983 at the latest. Reebok, he said. I made fun of him.

Last edited by Kevin Finnerty; Fri Nov 07, 2008 at 10:24am.
Old Fri Nov 07, 2008, 11:31pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to johnSandlin Send a message via Yahoo to johnSandlin
Bluetick,

Do you have an accurate phone number for Kessler Sports? I have tried emailing them and both emails have come back to me undelivered.
Old Sat Nov 08, 2008, 11:32am
Veteran College Umpire

I had Vans plate shoes - got them and a pair of Puma Scramblers when I got out of umpire school in 1985. The Van's lasted 6 years. I wore the Pumas for nearly 20 years, all the while looking for suitable replacements. I finally found those replacements, New Balance low top 350's, and that is my shoe of choice on the bases.
Oh, I miss those Pumas. Now it looks as though those 350's will be in my shoe hall of fame as well...

JJ
Old Sat Nov 08, 2008, 02:02pm
Official Forum Member

looks like too much white to keep clean.