The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Oct 30, 2008, 08:43am
Official Forum Member

Say Good Bye To This Thread

First let me state I do not expect this thread to remain on line very long. I expect it to get deleted.

(Please refer to "locked" thread below)

Quote:
"Ed H is a known acquaintance of the owners of the site and is a class act. He has worked very hard to get where he is and deserves every thing he has earned. One mistake, no matter how large, does not ruin a lifetime of work in this business. Grow up and find some class.

"It was a horrible call. We get that and so does he. Get over it.

"SDS your broad characterization of your officiating brethren is appalling. If you want to bash officials, go somewhere else and do it because it is not welcome here.

"Discuss calls, philosophy, etc. But this is not a place to openly criticize our own especially by name and even more so from someone who has not even come close to walking in his shoes.

"I will only say this once.

"Officiating.com Management"
What a high handed piece of crap this post is . . .

No where have we EVER been told we cannot criticize by name a professional sports official that errors egregiously.

Try to intimidate some one else.

While I do not like or respect SDS's posts I will fight forever for his right to post what he wants.

Your heavy handed style of this post leads me to believe that you are nothing more than an over aggressive basketball moderator that thinks you know more than all of us.

I will post what ever I think is appropriate and live with whatever the penalty.

Please if you make a stand as you did with SDS at least have the guts to sign your own name.

Regards,

Tim Christensen
Columinist (Strikes & Outs)
Officiating.com
Old Thu Oct 30, 2008, 10:49am
Official Forum Member

Public Apology

Perhaps, you are right. Chalk it up to a bad day along with many other factors that are unimportant to anyone else reading this forum.

As stated, Ed H is known by us and my knee jerk reaction to what I read may have been the wrong reaction.

Therefore, consider this my public apology to SDS.

Tim,

I do think, you did make a very broad charecterization of me, with little data. I am not a basketball moderator, I adminster the site along with Brad and have for years. You can count on probably two hands the amount of posts I have locked over that same time span. So your broad charecterization with little data has missed the mark.

You too take a very heavy handed approach many times yourself, so pot meet kettle! That being said, I do believe you add value many times to the forum so thanks.
Old Thu Oct 30, 2008, 10:56am
Official Forum Member

Hmm,

So anyone who supported my position came in and deleted their own posts.

As PapaC says: "Amazin'"
Old Thu Oct 30, 2008, 10:59am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim C View Post
So anyone who supported my position came in and deleted their own posts.

As PapaC says: "Amazin'"
My thought as well. You apologize and then do exactly the same thing you apologize for at the same time.

I now predict you will delete this THEN lock the thread.

Some of us have been here a long time and have even written articles for the paid side of the house (and also haven't complained publicly about some of the speed bumps in that process) and we are not exactly feeling the love this morning.

Or as my friend frequently says: Some people simply cannot get out of their own way.

Last edited by Rich; Thu Oct 30, 2008 at 11:01am.
Old Thu Oct 30, 2008, 10:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBall_Junkie
The forum rules specifically state that this is not a place to for personal attacks on officials which and I felt SDS posts was doing just that.
Perhaps. But in the couple years I've been reading or posting, I've certainly seen umpires critized by name, and not one thing was done about it.
Quote:
Debate all you want about how great/poor a call was, philosophy, who you think you uses good/poor mechanics etc, etc, etc. However, personal attacks on forum members or other officiating brethren are not welcome here. That is for the fanboy sites. That is my point. I think you have noticed that threads get locked and deleted when things get personal.

I will also backoff and say that I poorly stated what I was trying to say with, "openly criticize our own especially by name ". My point was that if you want to say someone is a horrible and bash away on an Umpire, Official, Referee, etc, and conduct personal attacks... this is not the place.
Here's where I have to disagree with you. The reason you nailed SDS's post wasn't because it was a personal attack on a referee. The reason was because you know and like Ed. "Ed H is a known acquaintance of the owners of the site" is how the post started. Don't know about Tim_C or anyone else, but as soon as I read that post, about 15 minutes ago, the first thought I had was "well, we apparently can say people make bad/horrible calls, as long as none of the moderator's is a friend of the guy."

I guess my only question, then, is: can you provide a list of umpires/referees/other officials that you guys know and like, so we know who we have to lay off of?

For the record, I thought Ed H blew that call, too. I don't think that makes him a crappy human being, but it was a crappy call. For what that's worth.
Old Thu Oct 30, 2008, 11:05am

Yes, why exactly were all of our posts deleted? I didn't spend the time composing and choosing my words just to see them wiped out. I am a busy person and post at odd times because of this. I don't like wasting my time.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Closed Thread