The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Oct 28, 2008, 08:07am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve View Post
Great post!
Especially the following portions...they apply to all sports!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrUmpire View Post
...I've never said MLB umpires are perfect, nor have I said that some mistakes haven't been made in the WS. It seems however that the current fad of dumping on the umpires has obscured reality.

...Some of this, no doubt, they have brought on themselves. 30 years ago umpires would never admit their mistakes on national television. They would say, "i called what I saw" and that would be the end of it.

...The worst umpire at the WS this year is better than anyone on this board. Disagree if you'd lile, if that gets you through the night.

Last edited by Raymond; Tue Oct 28, 2008 at 08:16am.
Old Tue Oct 28, 2008, 09:01am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The worst umpire at the WS this year is better than anyone on this board. Disagree if you'd lile, if that gets you through the night.
You honestly think that criticizing umpiring is an unspoken statement that we think we're better than they are?

This statement says a lot. So if you are not better than the guy in question, then you can't criticize him. Wow.

What country is this again?

Last edited by Kevin Finnerty; Tue Oct 28, 2008 at 09:06am.
Old Tue Oct 28, 2008, 09:06am
Stop staring at me swan.

With that logic, the observers/evaluators must be the best umpires in the world because in order to evaluate and to see flaws/areas for growth, you have to be an expert.

Quote:
The worst umpire at the WS this year is better than anyone on this board. Disagree if you'd lile, if that gets you through the night.
That statement's logic just doesn't hold up.
Old Tue Oct 28, 2008, 09:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Finnerty View Post
You honestly think that criticizing umpiring is an unspoken statement that we think we're better than they are?

This statement says a lot. So if you are not better than the guy in question, then you can't criticize him. Wow.

What country is this again?

For Kevin and other reading-impaired posters:

I was addressing Pete's missive. I rearely read anything Kevin writes these days.

I said mistakes were made. I believe criticism can be valid. I don't, however, believe that, as in Pete's post, those facts must keep us from appreciating a spectacular effort, whether by an athlete or umpire.

We applaud a player who may have been the goat in one inning, when he jacks a homer in the next. Yet, according to Pete, when an umpies makes near heroic effort to get a play right...it's just his job. That's a shame.

If you need any additional help in reading comprehension, let me know.
Old Tue Oct 28, 2008, 09:27am
Official Forum Member

LOL @ "heroic effort" by a baseball umpire! Somehow equating Tim McClelland with Audie Murphy makes me laugh.

Heroic effort?

"you can leave demeaning nicknames out of your posts referring to our officiating brethren. K. Thanks. Bye." Officiating.com
Old Tue Oct 28, 2008, 01:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I've never said MLB umpires are perfect, nor have I said that some mistakes haven't been made in the WS. It seems however that the current fad of dumping on the umpires has obscured reality.
I couldn't agree more with these lines.
Old Tue Oct 28, 2008, 05:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylejt View Post
LOL @ "heroic effort" by a baseball umpire! Somehow equating Tim McClelland with Audie Murphy makes me laugh.

Heroic effort?
I agree. McClelland's a much better actor.
Old Tue Oct 28, 2008, 07:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

I've never said MLB umpires are perfect, nor have I said that some mistakes haven't been made in the WS. It seems however that the current fad of dumping on the umpires has obscured reality....

The worst umpire at the WS this year is better than anyone on this board....
Great thoughts. I am going to keep these in mind the rest of the Series and in the future. I think some of the posters, myself included, forget this at times.
Old Tue Oct 28, 2008, 07:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I agree. McClelland's a much better actor.

And that's a pretty good post too!
Old Tue Oct 28, 2008, 07:23pm
Official Forum Member

Umps under fire video

Yahoo!
Old Wed Oct 29, 2008, 08:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAump View Post
Story does not make sense because after saying it's a problem, both Mota and Gwynn both conclude baseball is better keeping the human element in the game which is the way baseball is designed.

But an example of the way the "feel good" media looks at the game. The perception that okay we have replay let it fix everything is not reality.

Thanks
David
Old Wed Oct 29, 2008, 07:46pm
Official Forum Member

Instant Replay

Let me throw it down the middle for you. It is technically possible to remove the umpires from a nationally televised game. But removing the umpires from the game is not a very popular idea at this time, so I will not go in that direction.

So let me hit on instant replay a bit further. Simple idea you already heard about in football. Give each manager one of those red beanies LL ummps carry in their back pocket. If a manager should disagree with a call. He throws out the little red beanie from the dugout in the general direction of the nearest umpire who did not make the call. That ump will gather the crew chief and the ump who made the call and give them an opportunity to request review of instant replay.

The ump in the booth will know the red flag has been tossed and will review the play in isolation from multple angles. By the time the umps on the field request a replay, the booth ump should have an answer for them. Game may be delayed about 3 minutes or less. On the other hand, no more managers acting as bafoons when a call doesn't go their way. Civility is restored.

Would you vote for it? Please explain.

Last edited by SAump; Wed Oct 29, 2008 at 07:52pm.
Old Wed Oct 29, 2008, 08:12pm
Official Forum Member

And back to the topic

Quote:
about the WS umpires, Jeff Kellog's great call at first tonight goes unnoticed.
Jeff Kellogg, on the plate for the completion of Game 5, made a great call at the plate.

Nice position on 3BLX for the swipe tag, and good timing to wait until he saw Ruiz holding onto the ball after a diving tag.

I hope I wasn't the only one who noticed.
Old Wed Oct 29, 2008, 08:33pm
Official Forum Member

Great Call by Jeff Kellog

I too noticed. It was as you stated. (Excellent Position and Excellent Timing)
Old Wed Oct 29, 2008, 10:41pm
Official Forum Member

I wouldn't say "great" or "excellent". I'd say proper. He used proper technique and timing, and made the correct call. There was nothing special, nor heroic, about this call. It's a routine call, and one any second year umpire should make.

Now, with all the miscues, and faux pas in this post season, a proper call makes one take notice. That's a shame.