View Single Post
Old Wed Oct 29, 2008, 07:46pm
Official Forum Member

Instant Replay

Let me throw it down the middle for you. It is technically possible to remove the umpires from a nationally televised game. But removing the umpires from the game is not a very popular idea at this time, so I will not go in that direction.

So let me hit on instant replay a bit further. Simple idea you already heard about in football. Give each manager one of those red beanies LL ummps carry in their back pocket. If a manager should disagree with a call. He throws out the little red beanie from the dugout in the general direction of the nearest umpire who did not make the call. That ump will gather the crew chief and the ump who made the call and give them an opportunity to request review of instant replay.

The ump in the booth will know the red flag has been tossed and will review the play in isolation from multple angles. By the time the umps on the field request a replay, the booth ump should have an answer for them. Game may be delayed about 3 minutes or less. On the other hand, no more managers acting as bafoons when a call doesn't go their way. Civility is restored.

Would you vote for it? Please explain.

Last edited by SAump; Wed Oct 29, 2008 at 07:52pm.