The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Oct 27, 2008, 12:00am
Official Forum Member

With all the b!tchin'

about the WS umpires, Jeff Kellog's great call at first tonight goes unnoticed.
Old Mon Oct 27, 2008, 01:59am

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrUmpire View Post
I noticed. I called it live from my living room. Replay confirmed that we nailed it!
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Mon Oct 27, 2008, 07:27am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve View Post
I noticed. I called it live from my living room. Replay confirmed that we nailed it!
lol
Old Mon Oct 27, 2008, 08:09am
Stop staring at me swan.

video replay?
Old Mon Oct 27, 2008, 08:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrUmpire View Post

They are PAID BIG BUCKS to make those calls.

IMO, MLB umpires should be held to a high standard and IMO this umpiring crew has simply been awful.

The strike zone - It might as well be redefined and the PU's look like they are auditioning for an acting career.

It's one thing to emphatically punch out the batter on a called 3rd strike. It's quite another to do a dance routine on top of it.

As for Welke - Someone upstairs must be shining brightly upon him. He has simply been awful to say the least.

If this had been the LLWS instead of the MLBWS, this Forum along with many others would be buzzing with bashings. The word "Smitty" might have even been uttered.

What we are seeing is a major flaw in the process of assigning officials at the BIG League level.

We are NOT getting what is supposed to be the Best of the Best. There are most likely guys in the minor leagues "cringing' watching these performances and not having the opportunity to get their shot.

Unlike football officials, MLB umpiring is a full time job and one would think that there is a better product MLB can put out there.

If this was OUR shot at say a HS varsity regional game, NCAA Division one game or any other high level type assignment, and we were that bad, that would most likely be our one and only chance and a high level game, but in MLB these guys are for the most part there for life.

So yeah Kellog made a great call but he is supposed to that's why one should get a WS assignment.

I am surprised Buck / McCarver didn't mention that IR should be expanded especially when Welke flat out missed the call. He's lucky Lou Pinella was not still coaching the Rays.

FWIW I am NOT a Rays fan so I could care less who wins.

Pete Booth

Last edited by PeteBooth; Mon Oct 27, 2008 at 09:31am.
Old Mon Oct 27, 2008, 09:00am
Official Forum Member

Be careful now, This is an adult forum and you're being honest and candid. Maybe coming from a respected longtime member, your post won't get edited or deleted.
Old Mon Oct 27, 2008, 01:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteBooth View Post
They are PAID BIG BUCKS to make those calls.

IMO, MLB umpires should be held to a high standard and IMO this umpiring crew has simply been awful.

The strike zone - It might as well be redefined and the PU's look like they are auditioning for an acting career.

It's one thing to emphatically punch out the batter on a called 3rd strike. It's quite another to do a dance routine on top of it.

As for Welke - Someone upstairs must be shining brightly upon him. He has simply been awful to say the least.

If this had been the LLWS instead of the MLBWS, this Forum along with many others would be buzzing with bashings. The word "Smitty" might have even been uttered.

What we are seeing is a major flaw in the process of assigning officials at the BIG League level.

We are NOT getting what is supposed to be the Best of the Best. There are most likely guys in the minor leagues "cringing' watching these performances and not having the opportunity to get their shot.

Unlike football officials, MLB umpiring is a full time job and one would think that there is a better product MLB can put out there.

If this was OUR shot at say a HS varsity regional game, NCAA Division one game or any other high level type assignment, and we were that bad, that would most likely be our one and only chance and a high level game, but in MLB these guys are for the most part there for life.

So yeah Kellog made a great call but he is supposed to that's why one should get a WS assignment.

I am surprised Buck / McCarver didn't mention that IR should be expanded especially when Welke flat out missed the call. He's lucky Lou Pinella was not still coaching the Rays.

FWIW I am NOT a Rays fan so I could care less who wins.

Pete Booth
This is the first post that I have read of your's but if the other 1k or so are similar than I would rather not read them. All umpires miss calls but you lost me when you started referring to the strike zone.
Old Mon Oct 27, 2008, 02:03pm
Official Forum Member

I have read many of his other posts. This one is as good as most of the others. There is a lot of truth in what he says: This crew has had several missed calls. And pointing out that an umpire's strike zones needs improvement is just as valid as saying he missed some calls on the bases.

You might want to read more than one post from a person before being so dismissive.
Old Mon Oct 27, 2008, 03:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by icallemasiseeem View Post
wow, with the way you bang 'em from your living room and your 100% exam scores you must be the best thing since sliced bread ... can I be you for a day?
Maybe...if you try real hard........

First verbal question....ready....Do you know the words to Kumbaya?

if your answer was no..you may have a shot.....

griff

American by birth...Christian by choice.....

NRA life member
Old Mon Oct 27, 2008, 05:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by icallemasiseeem View Post
wow, with the way you bang 'em from your living room and your 100% exam scores you must be the best thing since sliced bread ... can I be you for a day?
Sonny, what SDS has forgotten about umpiring, you will never learn!
Old Mon Oct 27, 2008, 06:47pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzy6900 View Post
Sonny, what SDS has forgotten about umpiring, you will never learn!
Hey Ozzy.....what did I forget???

Methinks a certain troll has reared it's ugly head again!
Old Mon Oct 27, 2008, 07:08pm
Official Forum Member

For a while, when the umpiring was suffering after the Richie Phillips charade, it was attributable to there being too many relief-level umpires filling out all the new crews. Now that so many years have passed, Pete and others are asking why there is still a problem finding a sterling crew to work the World Series.

The Hallion thing was positioning like we discussed. The call at third with Welke was a fairly common type of play, and it even looked like he was almost in position to see the tag, but he missed it. No big deal. The Danley punch/appeal where Culbreth walked the guy was awful. And there is no truer statement in Pete's post than the one about any of us having a fart like that and it would be the last shot at a big game assignment. Danley's brother umpires in my unit, and we all got emails congratulating Kerwin for being on the crew and another when he got the plate assignment. It's terrible what happened. But it's part of the risk of performing at anything.
Old Mon Oct 27, 2008, 10:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by realistic View Post
This is the first post that I have read of your's but if the other 1k or so are similar than I would rather not read them.
Pete's posts from years back were far different. They were the thoughtful product of one who could analyze...dispassionately, and discuss topics factually and without emotion.

Lately, however, he has changed. His posts are hard to differentiate from a typical fanboy.

Year's back, Pete would never have said that MLB umpires are hired to make certain call. He knew better. MLB umpires are hired because they are the best trained and most experienced at what they do. Those who hire them know that theya are not hiring umpires to make certain calls. They are hiring umpires who, statistics disclose, get calll right a little more than 95% of the time, including balls/strikes, safes/outs and foul/fair. No one with a rational minds believes that MLB umpires are hired to be perfect.

The old Pete would not have made light of the play Kellog had at first. Many, if not most, other umpires would not have adjusted during that mess to see what he saw and make the right call. To dismiss his effort on that play as "that's what he gets paid for" is the same as dismissing a player for hitting a home run in the upper deck of the center field bleachers. After all, that's what players get paid for.

I'd love to see a pitcher strike out 95% of the batters he faces. Isn't that what he gets paid for? When was the last time a batter did his job correctly 95% of the time? Who could afford a .950 hitter...the Yankees?

I've never said MLB umpires are perfect, nor have I said that some mistakes haven't been made in the WS. It seems however that the current fad of dumping on the umpires has obscured reality.

Some of this, no doubt, they have brought on themselves. 30 years ago umpires would never admit their mistakes on national television. They would say, "i called what I saw" and that would be the end of it.

The new warm and fuzzy movement that began about six years ago and includes excessive huddling that has resulted in correct calls being changed to incorrect calls as often and the other way around, was supposed to make umpires more human and accountable. An unintended consequence, I believe is that it has made them the target of an endless supply of fanboys and wannabes who use the umpires admissions to try to appear superior.

The worst umpire at the WS this year is better than anyone on this board. Disagree if you'd lile, if that gets you through the night.
Old Tue Oct 28, 2008, 01:52am

Great post!
Old Tue Oct 28, 2008, 07:58am
Official Forum Member

Indeed, good post!