The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Oct 26, 2008, 08:42pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TussAgee11
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAump View Post
I feel the K-zone pitch tracker, or whatever name it goes by, has been a bit inconsistent.
A friend who works for MASN was told how the Fox system works by one of his producers. Don't know how reliable all this is, but here's what he said.

ESPN uses basically the Questec system of 3 high cameras (also the technology used for tennis challenges).

For FOX, a guy in the truck draws a box where he believes the strike zone to be for that batter. From there the comedy continues. The pitch is tracked from a low center field camera, and a guy in the truck basically presses a STOP button when he believes the pitch to be across the plate on the replay. The computer then just freezes where the ball was on the camera at that point and puts a little mark there compared to the batter's already arbitrary assigned strike zone.

Just for everyone's information...
Old Sun Oct 26, 2008, 10:09pm
Official Forum Member

I wonder if this is how Questec is used as well. If so, I would not like to be graded with it either.

Naturally McCarver is relying on the pitch tracker when making his pronouncements...
Old Mon Oct 27, 2008, 02:04am

I don't care about Questec or Pitch Trax or K-Zone or any other stupid mechanical strike zone. They apparently don't have the 3D strike zone worked out yet. It seems to call some breaking pitches that catch the back corner balls because of where the catcher catches the ball.

Give me Fielding Culbreath's zone anytime. I hate it when the umpire has a little cracker box zone because he's afraid of Questec.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Mon Oct 27, 2008, 07:01am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve View Post
Give me Fielding Culbreath's zone anytime. I hate it when the umpire has a little cracker box zone because he's afraid of Questec.
Both names misspelled now? Not much of a jock sniffer if you can't even get his name right.
Old Mon Oct 27, 2008, 11:07am

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
Both names misspelled now? Not much of a jock sniffer if you can't even get his name right.
You're right, I'm not much of a jock sniffer.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25