The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   Welll..... (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/49505-welll.html)

LMan Thu Oct 23, 2008 10:56pm

Welll.....

...Mr. Danley did not exactly cover himself with glory this evening.

SethPDX Thu Oct 23, 2008 11:02pm

Yeah, those games happen even World Series guys. He's got to be an excellent umpire in order to earn the Series, but still--tough night for him.

BTW, fashion plates--he wore a hat under his HSM.

jimpiano Thu Oct 23, 2008 11:17pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by LMan (Post 545350)
...Mr. Danley did not exactly cover himself with glory this evening.

Because?

OzUmp Thu Oct 23, 2008 11:25pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimpiano (Post 545354)
Because?

Great! Another apologist. Did you even watch the game?

kylejt Thu Oct 23, 2008 11:26pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SethPDX (Post 545352)

BTW, fashion plates--he wore a hat under his HSM.

He also wore one of those collars that dogs wear after they come back from the vets under his deep sea divers helmet.

Kevin Finnerty Thu Oct 23, 2008 11:28pm

... Ahem... he rang a guy on a check swing and then asked the first base umpire if he swung ...and then Rollins got nicked pretty clearly and Danley kept him at the plate and helped kill a key rally.

I love the guy and I work in the same unit with his big brother. They're both great guys. Kerwin gives a lot back, too. But it was a nightmarish kind of outing for him. He didn't leave on a gurney this time, so it was only his second worst game of the season. Now he gets to hang out down the left field line and listen to all those Philly fans.

Kevin Finnerty Thu Oct 23, 2008 11:29pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by kylejt (Post 545358)
He also wore one of those collars that dogs wear after they come back from the vets under his deep sea divers helmet.

:D

I just got a rug burn when I fell out of my chair.

LMan Thu Oct 23, 2008 11:33pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin Finnerty (Post 545360)
... Ahem... he rang a guy on a check swing and then asked the first base umpire if he swung ...and then Rollins got nicked pretty clearly and Danley kept him at the plate and helped kill a key rally.

I love the guy and I work in the same unit with his big brother. They're both great guys. Kerwin gives a lot back, too. But it was a nightmarish kind of outing for him. He didn't leave on a gurney this time, so it was only his second worst game of the season. Now he gets to hang out down the left field line and listen to all those Philly fans.

I'm one of the biggest 'dont knock it till you are there' guys, but even by most modest standards this was a bad, bad outing. The check swing incident was all but unbelievable at this level... I don't know what happened to the thought process on that one.

Oh well, as you say, he's sure to have fun in Philly. Ce la vie.

jimpiano Thu Oct 23, 2008 11:48pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by OzUmp (Post 545357)
Great! Another apologist. Did you even watch the game?

Yeah , I did.

jimpiano Thu Oct 23, 2008 11:52pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin Finnerty (Post 545360)

I am sure he is just shaking at the thought.

Pensaump Fri Oct 24, 2008 07:40am

I gotta kinda blame the 1st base umpire as well.

He should have banged the guy. The check was close enough to go either way (at least the replay I saw) and if he would have pumped him out it would have bailed out Kerwin at that plate.

One of the few times in my opinion that you have to bang the batter out from the wing regardless. At least in a "protect the crew" mentality.

Kevin Finnerty Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:02am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pensaump (Post 545398)

He should have banged the guy. The check was close enough to go either way (at least the replay I saw) and if he would have pumped him out it would have bailed out Kerwin at that plate.

One of the few times in my opinion that you have to bang the batter out from the wing regardless. At least in a "protect the crew" mentality.

Precisely! Definitely close enough, and definitely would have bailed him out of the screwed up mechanic. It was just a fart that made his arm go up, and then Culbreth burned him. Brutal.

mrm21711 Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:13am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pensaump (Post 545398)

I thought Culbreth was trying to "protect the crew" with his no swing call. However, I would have pumped him out and dealt with the consequences if I was at 1B and that happened to me.

NickG Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:38am

Not to pile on (although I suppose I am), but did anyone else feel that his zone was a bit inconsistent. There were some pretty erratic b/s calls.

johnnyg08 Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:05pm

he seemed a bit jumpy...but he's got to get his experience somehow...that's how you learn...I'm not bailing him out, but I'm sure this may have been one of his first experience on a global stage...probably a bit nervous.