The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Oct 20, 2008, 05:32pm
Official Forum Member

Run Down Mechanics

R3 and R1 1out. F2 throws to pick R3 off. R3 gets in a run down. Does BU stay in the working area and make calls going back to 3B and the PU stay home?
Old Mon Oct 20, 2008, 05:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by njdevs00cup View Post
R3 and R1 1out. F2 throws to pick R3 off. R3 gets in a run down. Does BU stay in the working area and make calls going back to 3B and the PU stay home?
Yes.
Old Mon Oct 20, 2008, 05:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
No.

BU will take responsiblity for the third base half only until PU gets into position to take it all. PU will say, "I've got it all" and BU will bounce back to take responsibility for R1. Should R1 make it to second without a play and the rundown continues, BU will bounce back to take the third base half of the rundown again.

Also, should R3 make it safely back to third before R1 does anything, BU will assume responsibility for him again and PU will beat feat for home.
Old Mon Oct 20, 2008, 06:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrUmpire View Post
No.

BU will take responsiblity for the third base half only until PU gets into position to take it all.
This is exactly what I was told this weekend (which challenged what I was taught which was PU is to stay home).

When you say the PU needs to get into position, where would that be? I'm guessing the position is much closer to the plate, rather than half way up the line.
Old Mon Oct 20, 2008, 06:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
No.

BU will take responsiblity for the third base half only until PU gets into position to take it all. PU will say, "I've got it all" and BU will bounce back to take responsibility for R1. Should R1 make it to second without a play and the rundown continues, BU will bounce back to take the third base half of the rundown again.

Also, should R3 make it safely back to third before R1 does anything, BU will assume responsibility for him again and PU will beat feat for home.
Does this scenario change if R1 remains at 1B?
Old Mon Oct 20, 2008, 06:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Does this scenario change if R1 remains at 1B?
You won't know if R1 is staying at first until the rundown is over. As long as he is there PU has the rundown...all of it, once he gets in position:

Foul territory about half way between third and home to begin with and then adjust as necessary to see a play.

i don't have my Red Book with me, but this is the mechanic a New York Penn umpire told me that PBUC wants to see.
Old Mon Oct 20, 2008, 07:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
i don't have my Red Book with me, but this is the mechanic a New York Penn umpire told me that PBUC wants to see.
Yes, that is the red book mechanic.
Old Mon Oct 20, 2008, 07:43pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to bobbybanaduck
Quote:
This is exactly what I was told this weekend (which challenged what I was taught which was PU is to stay home).

When you say the PU needs to get into position, where would that be? I'm guessing the position is much closer to the plate, rather than half way up the line.

The position is wherever you need to be in order to cover the entire rundown. If the rundown ends at 3B, you would likely be a lot closer to 3B than you would to the plate.
Old Mon Oct 20, 2008, 09:26pm
Official Forum Member

Foul Territory?

I'll be the first to admit I am wrong, but wasn't the position for PU inside fair territory up/down the line recommended for watching possible obstruction or interference on a rundown?

Last edited by SAump; Mon Oct 20, 2008 at 09:33pm.
Old Mon Oct 20, 2008, 10:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbybanaduck View Post
The position is wherever you need to be in order to cover the entire rundown. If the rundown ends at 3B, you would likely be a lot closer to 3B than you would to the plate.
This is essential to cover in a pre-game..
If I were PU, I would say that I cover the whole rundown, and only make eye contact with my parter if I was not sure of a tag going away from me at third...waiting for a safe or out mechanic...
BU has to be in position in the working area to see the play going back to third, or swipe tag..but also to be ready for a throw across the diamond..
Old Tue Oct 21, 2008, 07:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Yes.

I stand corrected. I read the play as R1 being in the rundown. I agree with the other posters on the mechanic.
Old Tue Oct 21, 2008, 10:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel Tufnel View Post
This is essential to cover in a pre-game..
If I were PU, I would say that I cover the whole rundown, and only make eye contact with my parter if I was not sure of a tag going away from me at third...waiting for a safe or out mechanic...
BU has to be in position in the working area to see the play going back to third, or swipe tag..but also to be ready for a throw across the diamond..
I agree - Cover in Pre- Game. but the BU in the working area can get a good angle of both R1 and R3 (if he slides back to third) so I do not agree that the PU "getting in position" should take the entire run-down because the PU would have to "commit" to third base and get into position to see the swipe tag and be able to determine if R3's hand got in ahead of the tag.

If R3 decides to "dart home" then the PU would be moving and it's not a good idea to make calls "on the move" as we are supposed to be planted.

FWIW and what makes it easier on both the BU and PU is that the BU obsviously has R1 and also R3 going back to third base. From the working area IMO he has a good angle to see both without too much trouble.

This type of run-down situation is no different than the BU with men on first / second base taking both the call at first base then the call at third base should R2 try and advance.

In addiition the PU also has the batter to account for should the batter interfere with F2's ability to apply the tag.

At best the PU should be about halfway up the third base line but I would not recommend going any further. With that being said the PU would not have an optimal angle to see the swipe tag at third base or did the runner get his hands on the bag before the tag was applied UNLESS he was basically committed to third base which could put the PU at risk should the ball get away or R3 dart home.

This is one of the drawbacks of the 2 person system.

Pete Booth
Old Tue Oct 21, 2008, 11:01am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to bobbybanaduck
So, your answer is....according to Pete, the PU should only take half of it. According to the manual, the PU takes it all.
Old Tue Oct 21, 2008, 12:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbybanaduck View Post
So, your answer is....according to Pete, the PU should only take half of it. According to the manual, the PU takes it all.
No matter what profession you are in there are ALWAYS manuals, however, you now taylor those manuals to fit your needs or the needs of your partner.

There are variations between groups meaning PRO mechanics/ FED mechanics CCA mechanics etc. All have their own nuances and all have evolved over time.

In Summary what's written in the manual TODAY might be replaced latter on with a different point of view.

I was merely poinitng out a different alternative because no matter "how you cut the cake" there are drawbacks in the 2 person system and this type of OP is one of them.

Pete Booth
Old Tue Oct 21, 2008, 02:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteBooth View Post

I was merely poinitng out a different alternative because no matter "how you cut the cake" there are drawbacks in the 2 person system and this type of OP is one of them.

Pete Booth

Sorry, Pete. Your alternative provides too many opportunties for missed plays. The correct mechanic takes into account the drawbacks of two man mechanics provides far better coverage off both runners at three bases and home.

At best, your "different alternative" (BTW aren't alternatives "different" by definition"?) is patchwork umpiring.