The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Oct 04, 2008, 10:55pm
Official Forum Member

What's the call ???

This actually happened can't make this up. Just slowing down and now have some time to read the board and post this.

I don't think the level of the game makes a difference on the ruling, probably the same in all rule sets.

12yr All-Star game. 5th inning 2 out Runner at 3rd score tied 4-4.

Batter swings, ball bounces off the plate and up like a short fly ball.
F1 catches it on a short hop.
F1 runs toward home in an attempt to tag R3 who is trying to score.
R3 does a sit down slide and F1 misses the tag on R3's back by about six inches, SAFE 5-4 visitors.
I check the field all action has stopped so I call time and proceed to cleanoff the plate.
Coaches, players and fans say nothing, no complaints on any thing. My partner, who is a 15 year old young man, says nothing.
Batter steps in the box and hits the first pitch to F5.
Throw to F3 out inning over.

I pick up the bat and hand it the the 3B coach and he tells me the batter that just batted should have been on first, he is the one that hit the ball off plate to the pitcher and didn't run.

Too late now I tell him, play stands run counts. I said nothing. I never even thought about the batter still being at the plate for a 2nd at bat.

When should have my partner called the batter out for abandoning 1B or does he say nothing and wait for the defense to appeal or ask?

I say when batter stepped in to the box the 2nd time out for abandoning his base.

Last edited by illinoisbluezeb; Sat Oct 04, 2008 at 10:58pm.
Old Sat Oct 04, 2008, 10:59pm
Official Forum Member

I would have waited until he stepped in the dugout, pointed, and gently called him out. No need for theatrics.
Old Sat Oct 04, 2008, 11:03pm
Official Forum Member

If there were 2 outs AND the runner never reached first safely, the run does not count. At the time the coach mentioned to you that the kid never ran to first, you should have motioned out and waved off the run to the scorekeeper. Just curious, if you were in position to rule on the tag at the plate, how could you miss a kid just standing there?
Old Sat Oct 04, 2008, 11:14pm
Official Forum Member

Let's think here...

Runner was not put out, was not safe at a base, and you called time. There is no way you should get out of this one with both cheeks intact.
Old Sun Oct 05, 2008, 12:46am
Official Forum Member

Looks good on paper!

Quote:
Originally Posted by illinoisbluezeb View Post
This actually happened can't make this up. Just slowing down and now have some time to read the board and post this.

I don't think the level of the game makes a difference on the ruling, probably the same in all rule sets.

12yr All-Star game. 5th inning 2 out Runner at 3rd score tied 4-4.

Batter swings, ball bounces off the plate and up like a short fly ball.
F1 catches it on a short hop.
F1 runs toward home in an attempt to tag R3 who is trying to score.
R3 does a sit down slide and F1 misses the tag on R3's back by about six inches, SAFE 5-4 visitors.
I check the field all action has stopped so I call time and proceed to cleanoff the plate.
Coaches, players and fans say nothing, no complaints on any thing. My partner, who is a 15 year old young man, says nothing.
Batter steps in the box and hits the first pitch to F5.
Throw to F3 out inning over.

I pick up the bat and hand it the the 3B coach and he tells me the batter that just batted should have been on first, he is the one that hit the ball off plate to the pitcher and didn't run.

Too late now I tell him, play stands run counts. I said nothing. I never even thought about the batter still being at the plate for a 2nd at bat.

When should have my partner called the batter out for abandoning 1B or does he say nothing and wait for the defense to appeal or ask?

I say when batter stepped in to the box the 2nd time out for abandoning his base.
Glad you made no call on the batter as that would have alerted the defense of the possibility of an appeal play. No one brought it to your attention. The pitch legalized the results of a previous at-bat. Run scores.

Last edited by SAump; Sun Oct 05, 2008 at 01:00am.