The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Sep 23, 2008, 10:55am
Official Forum Member

Wanting to be sure about re-entry

FED rules. I just wanted to be sure that I have this correct. I have a DH in my lineup hitting for my pitcher. The DH walks and I enter the pitcher into the game to run for him. The next inning, their spot comes up. The DH re-enters and hits. The next inning, the pitcher re-enters and takes the mound. Is everything legal here?
Old Tue Sep 23, 2008, 11:28am
Veteran College Umpire

Yes.

JJ
Old Tue Sep 23, 2008, 01:39pm
Official Forum Member

JJ, are you sure? 3-1-4(a) says that the role of DH is terminated for the rest of the game when the defensive player the DH is batting for subsequently bats, pinch hits or pinch runs for the DH.

So in the OP, the DH is eliminated once the pitcher came in to pinch run the first time correct?

On the other hand, would the original DH be able to replace the pitcher in the next at-bat on the basis that he was a starter and can re-enter once? And if that is the case and even if the DH has by definition been eliminated, can the original pitcher (assuming he is still pitching) come in an pinch run one more time because as a starter, he can also re-enter once?

I'm so confused.........
Old Tue Sep 23, 2008, 02:14pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to UmpJM
Cool

Fritz,

JJ is correct. As you (correctly) pointed out, when the defensive player who is "sharing" the batting order spot with the DH pinch runs (or bats) for him, the DH "role" is terminated for the remainder of the game - on the other hand, the player who was fulfilling that role is not "terminated".

Under FED rules, when a team elects to use the DH, they have 10 "starters" and nine batting order spots. When the defensive player sharing the DH spot plays on offense, the offensive player leaves the game; in effect, he is substituted for with a(nother) "starter". Since he is a starter, he has the privilege of re-entering the game one time. The defensive starter who "enters" on offense has never left the game/been substituted for, so he may still leave the game subsequently and re-enter on more time.

So, in your sitch, we have the DH batting for the pitcher. The pitcher comes in to pinch run for the DH after the DH reaches base. The DH role is now terminated for the remainder of the game. Subsequently, the pitcher who pinch ran has his spot come up in the lineup. The manager chooses to sub the original DH to pinch hit. Perfectly legal. That player has now "used up" his starter's re-entry privilege. He gets on base and the manager has the pitcher pinch run for him. Perfcetly legal. The DH is now done for the remainder of the game and the pitcher has "used up" his re-entry privilege.
Old Tue Sep 23, 2008, 03:17pm
Official Forum Member

yeah, I walked my way thru it and then realized I forgot to add the final sentence to my first reply........"oh yeah, JJ, now I get it!"

Gosh I hate administering the DH rule!
Old Tue Sep 23, 2008, 04:21pm
rei

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
Gosh I hate administering the DH rule!
HAHaha......try administering the NCAA DH rule!
Old Tue Sep 23, 2008, 07:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rei View Post
HAHaha......try administering the NCAA DH rule!
Is that even possible? haha

I'm looking to possibly get into NCAA next year and I dread having to learn that rule.
Old Wed Sep 24, 2008, 01:10pm
Official Forum Member

Another twist

How about this. the DH, who is batting for the pitcher, reaches base. I know I can put my pitcher in to run for the DH as a pinch runner. Then can I immediately courtesy run for the pitcher?
Old Wed Sep 24, 2008, 01:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by harmbu View Post
How about this. the DH, who is batting for the pitcher, reaches base. I know I can put my pitcher in to run for the DH as a pinch runner. Then can I immediately courtesy run for the pitcher?
Yes.
Old Wed Sep 24, 2008, 10:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by harmbu View Post
Probably legal, but my opinion of the coach is going to go down on this one.
Old Wed Sep 24, 2008, 10:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DG View Post
Probably legal, but my opinion of the coach is going to go down on this one.
A. Your opinion of the coach is irrelevant.

B. Even if it was relevant, why would you have a problem with it? He's found a way to use the rules to his advantage. This is no different than deliberately getting a runner picked off to avoid an appeal on a different runner.