The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Sep 15, 2008, 09:43pm
Official Forum Member

Does Run count?

Any help on this play? Bases loaded 2 outs. Ball 4 to the batter gets passed the catcher. Before the runner from 3rd reaches home, the aggressive runner advancing from second, rounds third and is tagged out after a throw from the catcher. Does the run count?

how about this one:

Bases loaded 2 outs. Batter hits a ball in the gap which clears the bases. Batter/Runner winds up on third base. Defense appeals the batter/runner missed second and he is called out. How many runs score?
Old Mon Sep 15, 2008, 09:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandZebra
Any help on this play? Bases loaded 2 outs. Ball 4 to the batter gets passed the catcher. Before the runner from 3rd reaches home, the aggressive runner advancing from second, rounds third and is tagged out after a throw from the catcher. Does the run count?
Yes.

Quote:
how about this one:

Bases loaded 2 outs. Batter hits a ball in the gap which clears the bases. Batter/Runner winds up on third base. Defense appeals the batter/runner missed second and he is called out. How many runs score?
Three, assuming the rest of the runners were not called out for any reason.
Old Mon Sep 15, 2008, 09:57pm
Official Forum Member

why three?
Old Mon Sep 15, 2008, 10:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
why three?
How many preceding runners advanced to and touched home plate legally?
Old Mon Sep 15, 2008, 10:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
why three?
Once the batter-runner touches 1B a play on him becomes a time play. That is, any runners that touch the plate before the batter-runner is put out will score. This includes an appeal play at a base other than 1B, as described in your play.
Old Tue Sep 16, 2008, 12:37am
Administrator

Quote:

how about this one:

LongIslandZebra:

Regarding your first question, we have already had this discussion last month: Does the run count?

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Tue Sep 16, 2008, 05:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
As Mark stated, we went round and round with this before. Let's break it down.
  1. Bases loaded, 2 out.
  2. Batter walks (awarded 1st base)
  3. All runners must advance at least 1 base.
Because of the award, the runner from 3rd scores no matter what. After that, everyone is on his own. In your case the runner rounding 3rd was caught off the base and therefore caused the 3rd out - inning over.

Don't be taken back because this is a question that many rookies (and some veterans) get wrong in the clinics. Like anything else, if you break it down and take it step by step, you can usually figure it out.
Old Tue Sep 16, 2008, 06:14am
Official Forum Member

The run scores because it is an awarded base.
Old Fri Sep 26, 2008, 12:17am
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzy6900 View Post
As Mark stated, we went round and round with this before. Let's break it down.
  1. Bases loaded, 2 out.
  2. Batter walks (awarded 1st base)
  3. All runners must advance at least 1 base.
Because of the award, the runner from 3rd scores no matter what. After that, everyone is on his own. In your case the runner rounding 3rd was caught off the base and therefore caused the 3rd out - inning over.

Don't be taken back because this is a question that many rookies (and some veterans) get wrong in the clinics. Like anything else, if you break it down and take it step by step, you can usually figure it out.

Ozzy:

I really need to get to bed because I just thought of something about the thread I linked in my post above. We all know that the run is "supposed" to count. What if, and I do mean if, the runner who is lally gagging from third to home plate, because the runner going from second to third has been tagged out after rounding third, decides to abandon his right to tag home and enters the dugout. What do we have? And what are we going to do?

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Fri Sep 26, 2008, 07:20am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
Ozzy:

I really need to get to bed because I just thought of something about the thread I linked in my post above. We all know that the run is "supposed" to count. What if, and I do mean if, the runner who is lally gagging from third to home plate, because the runner going from second to third has been tagged out after rounding third, decides to abandon his right to tag home and enters the dugout. What do we have? And what are we going to do?

MTD, Sr.
Good Question. If R3 is lolly gagging but still touches the plate, his run has to count. However, if R3 abandons, he may still touch the plate until he enters dead ball area (the dugout). This is an award not a base advancement.

Now if he enters the dugout, we are going to have a $hithouse because I am not going to count the run! R3 must touch the plate or if R3 becomes injured, a substitute must be brought in to touch the plate in order to complete the award.
Old Fri Sep 26, 2008, 09:10am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
Ozzy:

What if, and I do mean if, the runner who is lally gagging from third to home plate, because the runner going from second to third has been tagged out after rounding third, decides to abandon his right to tag home and enters the dugout. What do we have? And what are we going to do?

MTD, Sr.
This is covered in OBR 4.09 EXCEPTION The terminology used is Refuses to touch home plate but abandoning the base and refusing to touch IMO are similiar so you would call the runner out and NOT count the run.

Also, I cannot remember who said it but Punish stupidity whenever possible

Pete Booth
Old Fri Sep 26, 2008, 09:56am
Stop staring at me swan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SethPDX View Post
Once the batter-runner touches 1B a play on him becomes a time play. That is, any runners that touch the plate before the batter-runner is put out will score. This includes an appeal play at a base other than 1B, as described in your play.

This is the best and most consise way I've heard/read this presented. Thanks PDX
Old Fri Sep 26, 2008, 10:48am
Official Forum Member

Remember that while "no matter what" applies to the runner rounding 3B and being tagged out, it does not apply to every imaginable occurrence. The run does not count if the runner from 3B is declared out for entering DBT before touching home plate, or if another runner is declared out for some violation before the runner from 3B touches home.
Old Fri Sep 26, 2008, 12:54pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to bobbybanaduck
Quote:
Originally Posted by greymule View Post
snip...or if another runner is declared out for some violation before the runner from 3B touches home.
prove it.
Old Fri Sep 26, 2008, 08:18pm
Official Forum Member

prove it.

This forum has discussed "declared out versus put out" several times over the past few years. There are case plays. All my books (J/R, BRD, Evans, etc.) are packed up at the moment, but maybe somebody will chip in.

I remember specifically the case play in which the batter hits a 2-out grand slam but rounds 1B and passes R1 before R3 touches the plate. No run in that case. I can't see why the same principle wouldn't hold after a base on balls.