The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Sep 17, 2008, 03:48pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Always Wright
New (Old) 4 Man Mechanics

At some point last night (about the 7th inning) I switched to the Yankees - Chisox game just to see the score - not much else on last night. The Yankees had a runner on 2nd with 0 outs. The next batter hit a liner to 2B. There was a throw to 2nd and I thought I saw U2 on the outfield side of 2B. That certainly caught my attention so I kept watching. Sure enough, during the next AB R2 stole 3rd. The replay angle was from the camera high atop the Stadium so you could see the entire infield. Sure enough, U2 was positioned behind the runner, to the left of the SS - almost in a direct line with the baseline from 1B to 2B. Very old school AL style of umpiring. I checked the box score today and saw that it was Tim Welke's crew and his brother Bill was working 2B. Anybody know what's up with that or what to make of it? I don't think I have seen a U2 work that way since the 1970's.

Chris Wright
Brooklyn, NY
Old Wed Sep 17, 2008, 04:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Always Wright View Post
At some point last night (about the 7th inning) I switched to the Yankees - Chisox game just to see the score - not much else on last night. The Yankees had a runner on 2nd with 0 outs. The next batter hit a liner to 2B. There was a throw to 2nd and I thought I saw U2 on the outfield side of 2B. That certainly caught my attention so I kept watching. Sure enough, during the next AB R2 stole 3rd. The replay angle was from the camera high atop the Stadium so you could see the entire infield. Sure enough, U2 was positioned behind the runner, to the left of the SS - almost in a direct line with the baseline from 1B to 2B. Very old school AL style of umpiring. I checked the box score today and saw that it was Tim Welke's crew and his brother Bill was working 2B. Anybody know what's up with that or what to make of it? I don't think I have seen a U2 work that way since the 1970's.

Chris Wright
Brooklyn, NY
I noticed the same (or very similar) mechanic at another game earlier this year. Don't know which crew. It does make some sense.
Old Wed Sep 17, 2008, 09:08pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
I noticed the same (or very similar) mechanic at another game earlier this year. Don't know which crew. It does make some sense.
I suppose U2 won't get one in the ear back there, but will get a couple more split seconds to get outa the way, while being near enough to be on the play.
Old Wed Sep 17, 2008, 10:45pm
Official Forum Member

I would assume there is still a "special Umpire Instuctions Manual or book for plays and positioning" given to all MLB umpires which was alluded to years ago when Frank Pulli was working the plate in a LCS and called interference on the runner for running out of the lane the last half of the distance to first base. The runner was running with his right foot on the line and his left foot to the left of the line. It was said that in the National League Book or Special Instructions Book, that the runner must have both feet on the line or to the right of the line while in the American league it was OK to have the right foot on the line and the left foot inside the line.

There is probably a special MLB rule about the hidden-ball-trick, for where the pitcher must stand without the ball, on or astride the rubber, as the book says, or on the incline, or at the bottom or flat part of the mound, or completely off the dirt.

I would assume there are also instructions for variations on umpire positioning, such as being OK to either stay fair or go foul if there is some pressure from the second baseman going to his left in the gap. OK for 2nd base ump taking the steal at 2nd from the 1st base side or the 3rd base side, OK for the plate umpire working the slot or the scissors.

Since brother Tim worked the AL for years, I am sure Bill is well instructed on when and how to work the outside of the bag if and when needed, and I am sure the supervisors have approved this method even if by chance it is not mentioned in a Special Instructions Manual if there still is one like in the old days.
Old Thu Sep 18, 2008, 12:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tballump View Post
I would assume there is still a "special Umpire Instuctions Manual or book for plays and positioning" given to all MLB umpires which was alluded to years ago when Frank Pulli was working the plate in a LCS and called interference on the runner for running out of the lane the last half of the distance to first base. The runner was running with his right foot on the line and his left foot to the left of the line. It was said that in the National League Book or Special Instructions Book, that the runner must have both feet on the line or to the right of the line while in the American league it was OK to have the right foot on the line and the left foot inside the line.

There is probably a special MLB rule about the hidden-ball-trick, for where the pitcher must stand without the ball, on or astride the rubber, as the book says, or on the incline, or at the bottom or flat part of the mound, or completely off the dirt.

I would assume there are also instructions for variations on umpire positioning, such as being OK to either stay fair or go foul if there is some pressure from the second baseman going to his left in the gap. OK for 2nd base ump taking the steal at 2nd from the 1st base side or the 3rd base side, OK for the plate umpire working the slot or the scissors.

Since brother Tim worked the AL for years, I am sure Bill is well instructed on when and how to work the outside of the bag if and when needed, and I am sure the supervisors have approved this method even if by chance it is not mentioned in a Special Instructions Manual if there still is one like in the old days.
Or maybe we're overthinking this, he just thinks he has a better view of things back there, and nobody else really cares.

Well, until he Hochuli's a call, and the public goes nuts.

Kyle in San Diego
Old Thu Sep 18, 2008, 02:07am

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylejt View Post
Well, until he Hochuli's a call, and the public goes nuts.

Kyle in San Diego
Hey, that's a really great term we can all use to mean "f*cked a call up royally". I like it.

Coach: What kind of call was that, Blue???????

Umpire: Sorry coach, I just Hochulied the crap out of it.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Thu Sep 18, 2008, 07:11am
Official Forum Member

'Eddings' would make more sense, both in terms of the game and the quality of official.
Old Thu Sep 18, 2008, 07:35am

The call in the Angels/White Sox game was not an obvious call. Josh Paul should have thrown to first, A.J. would have been out, and we wouldn't have Doug Eddings as a household name today.

The call this past Sunday, any little school girl could have called correctly. The name fits and stays as far as I'm concerned. I'll take my chances with Eddings.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Thu Sep 18, 2008, 08:32am
Official Forum Member

That's because you're both a White Sox and a Chargers fanboy.
Old Thu Sep 18, 2008, 03:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tballump View Post
Uh, no, there's a rule in OBR. As in, don't stand on or astride the pitcher's plate without the ball. Anywhere else is fine (for OBR games).

The PBUC manual gives U2 the option to stay outside when there is only a runner on 2B. It's probably in the MLB manual as well.