The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Sep 10, 2008, 07:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoyer
Where can you buy the Carlucci protector?
You don't "buy" a Carlucci CP. He makes it for you!

Cece Carlucci Chest Protection
Old Wed Sep 10, 2008, 07:51pm
Official Forum Member

http://www.pe.com/localnews/inland/s...2.3f2bf44.html
Old Sun Sep 14, 2008, 11:33pm
Official Forum Member

pro nine chest protector

is the honig's K1 similar to the Pro-Nine listed below?

http://www.allaroundsportsllc.com/Pr..._CPU_p/cpu.htm

i've used the pro-nine for the past several years and it has offered plenty of protection for D1 pitching.
it is much cheaper (approx $60) than the K1 and looks and feels great.
i still have my WV Gold, but never use it.

just think about how thin and lightweight a catcher's chest protector is - they never seem to have complaints.
Old Mon Sep 15, 2008, 12:01am
Official Forum Member

I know guys who've been umpiring for years and have never taken one to the cup. They still roll with one though. Umpires can go a long time without taking a nasty shot to the chest, and proclaim the virtues of their brand.

Years ago, during a 9/10 game, I took a foul ball straight to the heart. I was wearing a Diamond tuck 'n roll model, and the shot messed me up for days. I felt slow, out of sorts, and more stupid than ever. IT MESSED UP MY HEART RHYTHM! And this was in a little kids game.

My point is that there's lots of guys who will tell you that soft chest protectors are fine. They'll also tell you that they "feel" the shots in those same protectors. So if you feel safe getting socked in the chest now and then, fine. Me, I've dealt with the after effects of that. Never again. Platinum or Gold for me.
Old Mon Sep 15, 2008, 12:37am
Official Forum Member

I use the Wilson Platinum. I wouldn’t use anything else whether it's a youth game or varsity. I don't believe in overkill for the younger games. Those are the ones I get hit the most in. I can just shake em off without flinching. I did take a really hard shot to the shoulder this year that hurt like heck. I suspect I would have been down for the count using anything other than the platinum.

No matter which CP you choose, without proper adjustment you will be vulnerable.

my$.02
Old Mon Sep 15, 2008, 02:29am
Official Forum Member

The one I use, which I think is the best for the money, is the Wilson MLU. You can find it for around 80 bucks, it's a hard shell, and it's like a bullet-proof vest. You don't feel a thing.
Old Mon Sep 15, 2008, 08:02am
Official Forum Member

My .02

Quote:
Originally Posted by newump
is the honig's K1 similar to the Pro-Nine listed below?

http://www.allaroundsportsllc.com/Pr..._CPU_p/cpu.htm

i've used the pro-nine for the past several years and it has offered plenty of protection for D1 pitching.
it is much cheaper (approx $60) than the K1 and looks and feels great.
i still have my WV Gold, but never use it.

just think about how thin and lightweight a catcher's chest protector is - they never seem to have complaints.
The Pro Nine and the Champion are knockoffs of the K1.....they are , In appearance, almost identical......

In actual usage, I could not tell you, I have and use the K1 for anything sub HS-Varsity..........I would not trust a knockoff at a higher level.....again my .02
Old Mon Sep 15, 2008, 08:34am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylejt
I know guys who've been umpiring for years and have never taken one to the cup. They still roll with one though. Umpires can go a long time without taking a nasty shot to the chest, and proclaim the virtues of their brand.

Years ago, during a 9/10 game, I took a foul ball straight to the heart. I was wearing a Diamond tuck 'n roll model, and the shot messed me up for days. I felt slow, out of sorts, and more stupid than ever. IT MESSED UP MY HEART RHYTHM! And this was in a little kids game.

My point is that there's lots of guys who will tell you that soft chest protectors are fine. They'll also tell you that they "feel" the shots in those same protectors. So if you feel safe getting socked in the chest now and then, fine. Me, I've dealt with the after effects of that. Never again. Platinum or Gold for me.
I've taken one straight to the heart, as well, with a soft chest protector years ago. Fortunately I've recovered but being 22ish (I think I was about 22) and being told by the ER doctor that I'm lucky to be alive is never something you want to hear. I was fortunate that the ball him my heart in rhythm or the doctor said I surely would have expired. It messed me up for weeks.

Moral of the story. Freak accidents do happen and I would never umpire without a hard-shelled chest protector again. WV Platinum is my personal choice.

-Josh
Old Mon Sep 15, 2008, 02:50pm
Official Forum Member

Just goes to prove (contrary to most players and coaches opinions) umpires do have hearts.

glad you recovered.
Old Mon Sep 15, 2008, 03:14pm
Official Forum Member

another reason

Another reason why MLB umpire's cps do not look so bulky is becuase they wear a larger shirt then their usual size when doing bases. They will tend to wear a size or two bigger than their normal size shirt to make their chest protector look invisible almost and then there are MLB guys who like the bulkiness who wear their regular size shirts for both base and plate. It just depends on your preference.
Old Mon Sep 15, 2008, 07:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by umpire23
Another reason why MLB umpire's cps do not look so bulky is becuase they wear a larger shirt then their usual size when doing bases. They will tend to wear a size or two bigger than their normal size shirt to make their chest protector look invisible almost and then there are MLB guys who like the bulkiness who wear their regular size shirts for both base and plate. It just depends on your preference.
Yes -

1) Buy a size larger for the plate

2) The way Honig's prices have increased, the K1 is no longer a "bargain" IMO. It is more expensive and less protective than the Gold and Platinum. There simply is no reason not to buy a Gold or Platinum - plus they arent very "hot" or uncomfortable during warm weather either. First time wearers will be surprised.
Old Mon Sep 15, 2008, 08:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrm21711
Yes -

1) Buy a size larger for the plate

2) The way Honig's prices have increased, the K1 is no longer a "bargain" IMO. It is more expensive and less protective than the Gold and Platinum. There simply is no reason not to buy a Gold or Platinum - plus they arent very "hot" or uncomfortable during warm weather either. First time wearers will be surprised.
That's another good point. The platinum is very comfortable and cool in my opinion. I was impressed with the comfort level on steamy 95+ degree days this summer.

-Josh
Old Tue Sep 16, 2008, 06:03am
Official Forum Member

To be honest, I've been using a WV Platinum for many years. It is no hotter than any other CP I've ever used. It all depends what you are wearing underneath the CP and if you were smart enough to hydrate properly.
Old Wed Sep 17, 2008, 07:34pm
Official Forum Member

WV Gold M-L available on Ebay

I just spotted it. Price looks reasonable. I love mine. Thought it would assist anyone looking for new CP and needing to save Money. Anything $100 or less or this CP is a good deal if used. It's not mine. Just providing information for those who may be interested. Owner is approachable with questions.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=230292137636
"We are the stewards of baseball. Our "customers" aren't schools, or coaches, or conferences. Our customer is the game itself." Warren Wilson, quoted by Carl Childress, Officiating.com article, June 3, 2008.
Old Wed Sep 17, 2008, 07:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzy6900 View Post
You don't "buy" a Carlucci CP. He makes it for you!

Cece Carlucci Chest Protection
So, after he makes it for you, he gives it to you? You don't give him any money for it? If you do give him money, it sounds like you buy it from him.