The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 22, 2008, 04:42pm
Official Forum Member

Chest protector

ok I know we have discussed this before but I found another protector I was comparing and wanted to see if anyone here had any experience with it. I am comparing between the Shutt Kool portector and the Rawling CP 950U protector. I have used the UMP protector since I start umpiring and have had good luck with it but it is getting used and abused, looking for a replacement but I want something that is almost not visible, no arnold looking shoulders etc, but am too big of a to wear something like a K2. Any advice would be great, thanks can't upload pictures due to size so here are links....
http://www.sportsauthority.com/produ...=1162592<br />
http://www.pa.purchaseofficials.com/...&cat=63&page=1
Old Tue Jan 22, 2008, 09:17pm
Official Forum Member

I wish they would OK the outside protector down here for FHSAA. When it is
hot, the inside protector becomes unbearable. I loved my "raft' and could never get a reasonable answer as to why it has been given the heave ho !
Old Tue Jan 22, 2008, 09:45pm
Official Forum Member

I have used the Schutt Kool Chest protector for over a year and think it is great. It is extremely comfortable, stays in place and really protects. Others that I know swear by it also.

Can't say for the Rawlings
Old Tue Jan 22, 2008, 11:58pm
Official Forum Member

I have used a lacrosse chest protector for about 4 years now. It covers the same area as the Honig's protector at about half the price.
Old Wed Jan 23, 2008, 01:50pm
Official Forum Member

I have used the Honigs Fastpitch Elite for about 3 years and like it. Small but protects what needs to be protected. Easy to clean and cool in the summer. I'm a pretty big guy and ordered the XL but I would recommend the R unless you are a really really big guy.

http://honigs.com/browse_products.asp?Cat=2&Sub=58
Old Wed Jan 23, 2008, 04:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFLguy
I wish they would OK the outside protector down here for FHSAA. When it is
hot, the inside protector becomes unbearable. I loved my "raft' and could never get a reasonable answer as to why it has been given the heave ho !
FHSAA actually has language which dictates an umpire's protective gear?
Old Wed Jan 23, 2008, 05:35pm
Official Forum Member

Being skeptical by nature, I can't get past the view that those "cold packs" are little more than a gimmick. Don't they start out too cold (fresh from the freezer) and then rapidly warm up to being nothing more than extra bulk before the first game is over?

How do you keep fresh cold packs cold during a tournament?
Old Wed Jan 23, 2008, 09:36pm
Official Forum Member

HTML Code:
Being skeptical by nature, I can't get past the view that those "cold packs" are little more than a gimmick. Don't they start out too cold (fresh from the freezer) and then rapidly warm up to being nothing more than extra bulk before the first game is over?

How do you keep fresh cold packs cold during a tournament?
Dry ice is the best way to keep them cold during a tournament. Actually, when you put them in, they feel great at first. When you take them out at the end of a game, they feel warm, but for some reason I don't understand, your body still feels cool during the game. I just know it seems to work
Old Sat Jan 26, 2008, 04:09pm
Official Forum Member

I've used the Schutt for a year now. I'll use it for all levels except men's ball and would ehartily recommend it to others. In men's ball, I took a foul off the padding over a collar bone and felt it a whole lot more than I expected to - so I'll go back to using the Pro-9 for them.
I think the cold packs are pretty much a waste - but then again, I'm one of those who sweat much more than most others. I'm also one of those who overloaded the under armor wicking shirts.