The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat May 04, 2002, 09:01am
Official Forum Member

HS game - partner and I are doing the equipment check thing, and while doing the visitors gear we find three helmets with cracks along the brim.

First major problem is that this team only had 6 helmets to start with; so, before notifing this coach that we just dumped half his helmets we notify the home team coach of the problem and ask if the visitors can use some of his extras (home team has 14), not a problem the home team coach responds.

So, we approach the visiting team coach and calmly say that the home team has some helmets that your players can borrow because some of yours are unfit for play.

One would think that this would be the end of the issue, think again. This coach goes bonkers, stating the usual: "no other umpire's have bothered with this problem so why the big deal now. You guys got to get your acts together, this is BS!".

First off, we advise him that we do not make the rules, we just follow them for the sake of our own liability. Second, we do not have any prior knowledge of whether or not previous umpire's have done equipment checks. Third, if as he stated, these helmets have been like this for some time that he could be held personally responsible if a player is injured, and that we will make a record of todays equipment situation.

This coach then proceeds to state that he is not blaming us but that our umpire association is to blame for not having consistency at the games on the equipment checks.

Is it any wonder that coaches use the legalese phrase: "to the best of my knowledge", when asked at during a pre-game conference if their players are properly equipped. Gee, I wonder who's kiester they are protecting; and, whose they will try to hang out to dry if there is an incident?????

Old Sat May 04, 2002, 02:30pm
Official Forum Member

"Gee, I wonder who's kiester they are protecting; and, whose they will try to hang out to dry if there is an incident?????"

Do you have to ask? I hope, if a player on a team coached by jerks like this ever gets injured because of a faulty helmet, the plaintiff can get your statement read at the trial. Oh, yeah, and the coach's reponse.

Sounds like this guy isn't really concerned with his players' safety. And neither are the previous umps who let it pass.

Bob

Old Sat May 04, 2002, 02:46pm
Official Forum Member

Originally posted by Rog

HS game - partner and I are doing the equipment check thing, and while doing the visitors gear we find three helmets with cracks along the brim.

One would think that this would be the end of the issue, think again. This coach goes bonkers, stating the usual: "no other umpire's have bothered with this problem so why the big deal now. You guys got to get your acts together, this is BS!".

This coach then proceeds to state that he is not blaming us but that our umpire association is to blame for not having consistency at the games on the equipment checks.

Is it any wonder that coaches use the legalese phrase: "to the best of my knowledge", when asked at during a pre-game conference if their players are properly equipped. Gee, I wonder who's kiester they are protecting; and, whose they will try to hang out to dry if there is an incident?????

Rog it is already May (roughly 1/2 the season), and if this coach is correct (I'm not saying he is ) that no other umpires checked his equipment prior to this game, then something is seriously wrong in your association.

I agree I do not like to hear "well the other umpires didn't check, etc." The fact is as you state it's a rule and if the other umpires in your association are not doing their jobs, it makes it very difficult for the umpiring crew that does.

This is one of the drawbacks in associations today - CONSISTENCY It only takes about 5 minutes or so to check equipment, so we should all do it.

At your next associating meeting I would bring this up, because it only takes 1 incident.

Pete Booth
Old Sat May 04, 2002, 05:29pm
Official Forum Member

Question record keeping procedure...

does anyone keep any type of "official record" of equipment which has been taken out of play as being unsafe for use, i.e. bats and/or helmets cracked - just in case they show up later in the same game or another game and a coach claims that the damage must have just occured or that the current officials did not check them properly?????
Old Sun May 05, 2002, 07:26am
Michael Taylor

I don't generally keep a record but I do let other guys in the assoc know we had a problem. The area we cover for HS is only three counties so it's not a big deal to keep track of. We see the same schools several times a year so you can tell if they are doing their job.
Old Sun May 05, 2002, 03:39pm
Official Forum Member

Re: record keeping procedure...

Quote:
Originally posted by Rog
does anyone keep any type of "official record" of equipment which has been taken out of play as being unsafe for use, i.e. bats and/or helmets cracked - just in case they show up later in the same game or another game and a coach claims that the damage must have just occured or that the current officials did not check them properly?????
There's no penalty for using an "illegal helmet," so I dont' bother with those.

I mark the bats with my pencil, and place them outside the field. I'll know if they come back in by looking at the mark.
Old Mon May 06, 2002, 10:09am
Official Forum Member

Isnt't checking the helmets a liability issue? If a player gets a head injury wearing a broken helmet or one without the NOCSAE seal, and you did not remove it from the game, we could have a potential problem.
Old Mon May 06, 2002, 11:06am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by PAblue87
Isnt't checking the helmets a liability issue? If a player gets a head injury wearing a broken helmet or one without the NOCSAE seal, and you did not remove it from the game, we could have a potential problem.
Yes -- and I realize I was unclear on my earlier response.

When I said I "don't bother" with the helmets, I meant I didnt' mark them to see if they came into the game later.

I do check the helmets, tell the coach about any that I find that are illegal (usually cracked or missing padding), and put them aside. If the kids wear them up to the plate and I notice, I make them change. Since that's the only penalty, I don't bother to see if it was one of the helmets I earlier identified. Now, if it happens again ...
Old Mon May 06, 2002, 12:50pm
Official Forum Member

Roller Up the Third Base

In a recent game, high inside fastball, hits squarely on the ear flap and rolls all the way to third base. Stunned batter just stood there. Thanks goodness the helmet did its job. Runner was able to take first base after a few minutes to collect his thoughts.
Old Mon May 06, 2002, 01:22pm
Official Forum Member

Angry herein lies the reason I asked the question.....

re: "When I said I "don't bother" with the helmets, I meant I didnt' mark them to see if they came into the game later.

I do check the helmets, tell the coach about any that I find that are illegal (usually cracked or missing padding), and put them aside. If the kids wear them up to the plate and I notice, I make them change. Since that's the only penalty, I don't bother to see if it was one of the helmets I earlier identified. Now, if it happens again ..."

Why should all the onus be on the umpire(s)?????

If a piece of equipment has been deemed unsafe/unfit for use, then should it not be documented - on the chance that it is used in a future game and a player is injured?????

What will be the schools attorneys first claim - that the umpire(s) did not do their job and check the equipment!!!!!

Now, if they was a record (i.e. a notation on the payment voucher stating that such-n-such piece(s) of equipment were taken out of play due to, etc.) then no umpire(s) or the association(s) are left totally unprotected.

Not to mention that the ultimate liability has just been shifted back on the coach, the A.D., and the school since now there is documentation reporting this equipment as being unfit for use; and, just maybe it will be replaced promptly since there is now every reason to do so.....jmo

[Edited by Rog on May 6th, 2002 at 01:26 PM]
Old Mon May 06, 2002, 01:31pm
Michael Taylor

Rog:
The only problem with that is how would you know from one game to another whether it's the same one or another that has been broken. I had an Easter tournament game where I took a helmet out during pre-game. It showed up during the game and I took it out again. About three batters later here it comes again. I had the boy give to me and I threw it over the fence in the woods. I told them " Now leave it there." I've had the same team three times since and I haven't seen that helmet since. I'm not suggesting this as a good way to handle it but I'm a pretty big dog locally and I can get away with some things others wouldn't.
Old Mon May 06, 2002, 01:47pm
Official Forum Member

Unhappy

re: "The only problem with that is how would you know from one game to another whether it's the same one or another that has been broken."

Obviously a legitimate point, one which should be handled by the association(s) board of directors in conjunction with the leagues and come up with a policy and procedure.

I know for a fact that I have seen the same piece of unsafe equipment in at least four games this season, and removed it each time. No telling if it was actually used in other games.....
Old Mon May 06, 2002, 01:59pm
Michael Taylor

I would talk to your association about repeat offenders with the same thing. I have considered taking a helmet with a broken earflap and just finish breaking it. I'm not sure even I could pull that one off. I suggest you tell the manager to take it to the bus and if you see it again then he goes with it. He is taking a chance with young ball players and you shouldn't be responsible for his actions.
Old Mon May 06, 2002, 02:50pm
Official Forum Member

We had a state rules interpreter suggest we carry a silver Sharpie and write "Illegal" across any piece of equipment that was dangerous.
Old Mon May 06, 2002, 03:25pm
Official Forum Member

Question

Good idea, but do you mind me asking what a "silver Sharpie is"?
Jackie