View Single Post
Old Sat May 04, 2002, 02:46pm
Official Forum Member

Originally posted by Rog

HS game - partner and I are doing the equipment check thing, and while doing the visitors gear we find three helmets with cracks along the brim.

One would think that this would be the end of the issue, think again. This coach goes bonkers, stating the usual: "no other umpire's have bothered with this problem so why the big deal now. You guys got to get your acts together, this is BS!".

This coach then proceeds to state that he is not blaming us but that our umpire association is to blame for not having consistency at the games on the equipment checks.

Is it any wonder that coaches use the legalese phrase: "to the best of my knowledge", when asked at during a pre-game conference if their players are properly equipped. Gee, I wonder who's kiester they are protecting; and, whose they will try to hang out to dry if there is an incident?????

Rog it is already May (roughly 1/2 the season), and if this coach is correct (I'm not saying he is ) that no other umpires checked his equipment prior to this game, then something is seriously wrong in your association.

I agree I do not like to hear "well the other umpires didn't check, etc." The fact is as you state it's a rule and if the other umpires in your association are not doing their jobs, it makes it very difficult for the umpiring crew that does.

This is one of the drawbacks in associations today - CONSISTENCY It only takes about 5 minutes or so to check equipment, so we should all do it.

At your next associating meeting I would bring this up, because it only takes 1 incident.

Pete Booth