View Single Post
Old Mon May 06, 2002, 01:22pm
Official Forum Member

Angry herein lies the reason I asked the question.....

re: "When I said I "don't bother" with the helmets, I meant I didnt' mark them to see if they came into the game later.

I do check the helmets, tell the coach about any that I find that are illegal (usually cracked or missing padding), and put them aside. If the kids wear them up to the plate and I notice, I make them change. Since that's the only penalty, I don't bother to see if it was one of the helmets I earlier identified. Now, if it happens again ..."

Why should all the onus be on the umpire(s)?????

If a piece of equipment has been deemed unsafe/unfit for use, then should it not be documented - on the chance that it is used in a future game and a player is injured?????

What will be the schools attorneys first claim - that the umpire(s) did not do their job and check the equipment!!!!!

Now, if they was a record (i.e. a notation on the payment voucher stating that such-n-such piece(s) of equipment were taken out of play due to, etc.) then no umpire(s) or the association(s) are left totally unprotected.

Not to mention that the ultimate liability has just been shifted back on the coach, the A.D., and the school since now there is documentation reporting this equipment as being unfit for use; and, just maybe it will be replaced promptly since there is now every reason to do so.....jmo

[Edited by Rog on May 6th, 2002 at 01:26 PM]