The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Aug 25, 2008, 08:17am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins
According to what I've read, the scoreboard had the correct count (3-2) at the time the plate umpire signaled 2-2 to both dugouts.
It did. Layne spent a bit of time trying to get the scoreboard changed to 2-2, though. I thought the funniest part was it appeared Layne asked the catcher to verify it was 2-2.

I thought it was odd that U1 called the ball fair. It was clearly a few feet in front of the base and the announcers were actually right on this one -- U1 had to make this call through F3 and his glove. They are the ones who claimed Layne wasn't up on the line - I have no way of knowing whether it was true or not.

I think the real mental lapse by Layne came in the 11th, though, when he called R3 out on the "force" at the plate when the force was removed by F5 tagging third. No doubt R3 saw Layne call him out and that's why he stopped. Otherwise, he may have been able to get in a rundown long enough for R2 or R1+R2 to advance behind him. Instead, F2 walked up casually and applied the tag.

Good guys (Phillies) won in the end, on a 3-run walkoff HR in the bottom of the 11th.
Old Tue Aug 26, 2008, 01:20am
Official Forum Member

My concern would be why the batter was not aware of the count. He should have jogged to first after the 4th ball and waited for the crew to sort it out. Shame on him more than the crew. Just my dos pesos.
Old Tue Aug 26, 2008, 01:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon30307
It is if all four of them do and they're making six figures.
I bet they all knew what game they were watching.

The coaching staff can question the count you know?

Never happened to you I guess?
Old Tue Aug 26, 2008, 06:05am
Official Forum Member

Okay, the scoreboard said 3-2 and the PU shows a count of 2-2 to the dugouts. Nobody complains, no one challenges so the base umpires keep their mouths shut.

That is what is supposed to happen! What do you people want the base umpires to do, come running in, waving their arms screaming "that's the wrong count!" like it was some sand lot or LL game? I can't begin to count how many times the count was wrong and I said nothing as the BU unless my partner came to me! If the dugouts or the players don't say anything, play on! If they do, then bail out your partner.... QUIETLY!
Old Tue Aug 26, 2008, 07:01am

Quote:
It is if all four of them do and they're making six figures.
You aren't making six figures umpiring? You should join the MLB! They could really use an umpire of your caliber that never loses the count.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Tue Aug 26, 2008, 10:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klokard
Just my dos pesos.

ummmmm, the scoreboard says, "uno."
Old Wed Aug 27, 2008, 07:03pm
Official Forum Member

Five Balls

Same thing shown on youtube two years ago. After fouling off about 8 pitches in a row, a batter received ball four. As he began to jog to 1st base, the pitcher for the Yankees questioned the call and the batter was asked to return by the PU. The batter was walked on the next pitch. Most unusual because it was his 1st MLB plate appearance. How rare would that be?
Old Thu Aug 28, 2008, 07:48am
Stop staring at me swan.

rare for the rookie...not rare for baseball...coincidental...yes.
Old Thu Aug 28, 2008, 09:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve
You aren't making six figures umpiring? You should join the MLB! They could really use an umpire of your caliber that never loses the count.
Hey when I lose the count a handful see it. When they (all four of them) lose it millions see it. Unacceptable for all four to lose it at that level.
Old Thu Aug 28, 2008, 09:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
When they (all four of them) lose it, millions see it.
Not if it's the Oakland A's.
Old Thu Aug 28, 2008, 12:44pm

Quote:
Hey when I lose the count a handful see it. When they (all four of them) lose it millions see it. Unacceptable for all four to lose it at that level.
Umpires are human, and occasionally make mistakes at all levels. Standing on the bases can get rather tedious and boring, and sometimes wool-gathering happens to the best of them. If you ask me the count while I'm on the bases, there's a 50-50 chance that I'll shrug my shoulders to say "search me." The PU is responsible for the count, and blaming the rest of the crew for his mistake is not really fair to them.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Thu Aug 28, 2008, 05:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I get it. You obviously care quite a lot about this. Well, when a guy in MLB makes a mistake, wherever he is working, millions will see it and some will write about it here. Just check some of the recent threads. I bet Layne has taken some from his crew for it, learned from it, and moved on. That seems to be the best course of action.
Old Thu Aug 28, 2008, 07:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve
Umpires are human, and occasionally make mistakes at all levels. Standing on the bases can get rather tedious and boring, and sometimes wool-gathering happens to the best of them. If you ask me the count while I'm on the bases, there's a 50-50 chance that I'll shrug my shoulders to say "search me." The PU is responsible for the count, and blaming the rest of the crew for his mistake is not really fair to them.
It isn't passed around the table in equal measure. No repeat buttton. The buck stops there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzy6900
Okay, the scoreboard said 3-2 and the PU shows a count of 2-2 to the dugouts. Nobody complains, no one challenges so the base umpires keep their mouths shut.
That is what is supposed to happen! What do you people want the base umpires to do, come running in, waving their arms screaming "that's the wrong count!" like it was some sand lot or LL game? I can't begin to count how many times the count was wrong and I said nothing as the BU unless my partner came to me! If the dugouts or the players don't say anything, play on! If they do, then bail out your partner.... QUIETLY!
In case he needs clarification.

Last edited by SAump; Thu Aug 28, 2008 at 07:57pm.
Old Thu Aug 28, 2008, 10:29pm
Official Forum Member

Would a situation like this be review-able?
Old Fri Aug 29, 2008, 07:51am
Stop staring at me swan.

nope...it's not a "border play" is that what they're calling it?