The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Oct 19, 2006, 05:20am
Official Forum Member

Mets Wagner bender for a BALL in 9th

Did anyone see the that atbat last night in the 9th inning for the Cardnals when Wagner was pitching with 2 out's and 2 on with PH Taguchi up. That is the pitch that causes me the most trouble. It was a bender at the inside knees that I think the Umpire wanted to bang him out but didn't. I believe that it was a strike but most of us will not call this pitch because the catcher catches it so low but when I see this pitch I have called it for strikes but hear nothing but grief so I have been trying to hold back on this call but you know your first instinct is to call how you see it. Just wondering your thoughts on this one.
Thanks Mike
Old Thu Oct 19, 2006, 07:16am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PFISTO
Did anyone see the that atbat last night in the 9th inning for the Cardnals when Wagner was pitching with 2 out's and 2 on with PH Taguchi up. That is the pitch that causes me the most trouble. It was a bender at the inside knees that I think the Umpire wanted to bang him out but didn't. I believe that it was a strike but most of us will not call this pitch because the catcher catches it so low but when I see this pitch I have called it for strikes but hear nothing but grief so I have been trying to hold back on this call but you know your first instinct is to call how you see it. Just wondering your thoughts on this one.
Thanks Mike
Darling flinched bigtime on that pitch, and also made a couple of surprising strike calls on very low pitches previously in the game. Other than those few, he had a good steady zone.

It's all about timing, and as Darling proved last night, even the best sometimes get off the program.
Old Thu Oct 19, 2006, 08:33am
Official Forum Member

I think (or thought at the time) that he thought Taguchi was going to swing, and was ready to give the big showstopper-game-ending punch out. I'm sure that 99.99% of us would have worse timing than usual in a potential game-ending NLCS call. I actually kind of chuckled a bit - now knowing that it happens to even the best of us.
Old Thu Oct 19, 2006, 08:42am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PFISTO
Thanks Mike
The pitch is low. Why fight it? Those that say the catcher has no bearing on whether a pitch is a ball or a strike don't work higher level baseball or get yelled at a lot.
Old Thu Oct 19, 2006, 10:35am
Official Forum Member

In my estimation, Rich is 100% correct. Calling balls and strikes is a lot like selling used cars, especially as the level of play advances. It can technically be a strike, but if no one believes it, you probably shouldn't call it. In that case, everyone saw Darling flinch. No one on either side, including the Mets bench, though that was a strike.

Lawrence
Old Thu Oct 19, 2006, 10:35am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Fronheiser
The pitch is low. Why fight it? Those that say the catcher has no bearing on whether a pitch is a ball or a strike don't work higher level baseball or get yelled at a lot.
Hi gang, just getting ready to leave Pittsburgh on my road trip back to San Diego, and just thought I'd weigh in on this before leaving you for a few days (everyone praise the Lord all together now!).

The ball was down all the way, and though Darling started to ring it up, he should tremendous restraint in stopping his call, knowing full well that it was going to look bad. I compare it to when Tiger Woods stops in the middle of his downswing when he hears a camera shutter. It takes a lot of discipline to do this, which speaks well of Gary Darling's years of MLB experience.

See everyone Monday!
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Thu Oct 19, 2006, 01:13pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve
Hi gang, just getting ready to leave Pittsburgh on my road trip back to San Diego, and just thought I'd weigh in on this before leaving you for a few days (everyone praise the Lord all together now!).

The ball was down all the way, and though Darling started to ring it up, he should tremendous restraint in stopping his call, knowing full well that it was going to look bad. I compare it to when Tiger Woods stops in the middle of his downswing when he hears a camera shutter. It takes a lot of discipline to do this, which speaks well of Gary Darling's years of MLB experience.

See everyone Monday!
I'll remember this the next time I try to explain my poor timing.
Old Fri Oct 20, 2006, 07:34pm
Official Forum Member

The "proper" term for Darling's flinch is a stee-ball . As mentioned earlier, it is the result of poor timing or not tracking the ball all the way into the catcher's glove. Unfortunately, it happened at a critical time and he got a lot of unwanted air time.

With that said, he absolutely made the right call because the pitch was down. While it didn't look pretty, ultimately, he got the call right - which is what MLB wants. It happens to all of us from time to time and big league umpires are no exception. The difference is... when it happens to us, very few people know about it. When it happens at Darling's level, 50,000 fans at the stadium see it and millions more on TV witness it over and over again.