The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   Ball 5 Sunday night Phillies Mets (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/47725-ball-5-sunday-night-phillies-mets.html)

gordon30307 Sun Aug 24, 2008 07:40pm

Ball 5 Sunday night Phillies Dodgers

Just saw the sequence of pitches. National TV all four (4) lost track of the count. 5 balls to get a walk. You'd think one them would have caught it. How embarassing.

tjones1 Sun Aug 24, 2008 07:48pm

I thought the Mets played the Astros today and lost at home....?

gordon30307 Sun Aug 24, 2008 07:53pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by tjones1
I thought the Mets played the Astros today and lost at home....?

Phillies Dodgers thanks for correcting my error.

SethPDX Sun Aug 24, 2008 08:37pm

Ughh...

Oh no! He lost the count! That never happens to me or any umpire I know! Guess they should take indicators on the bases. :rolleyes:

Big deal. Stuff happens. It just happened on ESPN is all.

DG Sun Aug 24, 2008 09:42pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by gordon30307
Phillies Dodgers thanks for correcting my error.

Apparently corrected the original post? So losing the count is a big deal and not knowing what game you are watching is not?

Rich Sun Aug 24, 2008 10:47pm

Layne's had an interesting night. Bottom 9, U1 had to rule fair/foul on a ball a few feet in front of the bag as Layne didn't appear to come up to the line to make the call.

Then in the top of the 10th, bases loaded, 0 outs there was a ground ball to F5 who stepped on third and threw home. U3 made a big out signal and when F2 caught the ball with R3 still 15 feet from the plate, he signaled out on the "force." R3 stopped entirely. Then F2 walked up and tagged R3 and Layne signaled out again.

gordon30307 Sun Aug 24, 2008 11:16pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SethPDX
Ughh...

Oh no! He lost the count! That never happens to me or any umpire I know! Guess they should take indicators on the bases. :rolleyes:

Big deal. Stuff happens. It just happened on ESPN is all.

Not he lost the count **** happens they lost the count. All four of them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

gordon30307 Sun Aug 24, 2008 11:18pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by DG
Apparently corrected the original post? So losing the count is a big deal and not knowing what game you are watching is not?

It is if all four of them do and they're making six figures.

tballump Mon Aug 25, 2008 12:32am

Did the manager, or players on the team being offended making 7 or 8 figures question the count, which they are allowed to do? It seems both teams have a lot at stake (playoffs) in these final 32-33 games to let such an obvious mistake go unquestioned due to their lack of professional attention.

refinks Mon Aug 25, 2008 12:41am

Correct me if I'm wrong, but there was nobody on base during that fair/foul controversy, right? If not, then why wasn't the home plate umpire getting out from behind the plate and getting his butt up the first base line to not only rule on the fair/foul, but also to help in case of a swipe tag. That is absolutey lazy umpiring, and if i saw any of my guys do that in the league i schedule umpires for, they'd be getting a royal butt chewing.

Nigel Tufnel Mon Aug 25, 2008 01:00am

Ball 6

Anybody else remember a time before espn, when we watched TWIB- with Mel Allen..."How about that!"

I think it was a game at Montreal's Olympic Stadium where even the guy running the scoreboard had a count of 6 balls...and was right on the money...

ah...memories

been a while since I've heard of the ol' ball 4+....

Matt Mon Aug 25, 2008 01:06am

Quote:

Originally Posted by refinks
Correct me if I'm wrong, but there was nobody on base during that fair/foul controversy, right? If not, then why wasn't the home plate umpire getting out from behind the plate and getting his butt up the first base line to not only rule on the fair/foul, but also to help in case of a swipe tag. That is absolutey lazy umpiring, and if i saw any of my guys do that in the league i schedule umpires for, they'd be getting a royal butt chewing.

You're wrong. It was R1 and R2.

bluezebra Mon Aug 25, 2008 01:18am

What was the count posted on the scoreboard?

Bob

chuckfan1 Mon Aug 25, 2008 06:28am

Quote:

Originally Posted by DG

Uhhh, basically, yeah.

The situation is whats important not who it happened to.

bob jenkins Mon Aug 25, 2008 07:51am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluezebra
What was the count posted on the scoreboard?

Bob

According to what I've read, the scoreboard had the correct count (3-2) at the time the plate umpire signaled 2-2 to both dugouts.