The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Oct 11, 2004, 01:40pm
Official Forum Member

I was watching the ESPN game last night ('skins v/s ravens). I'm not familiar with NFL rules but on a free kick the ball was heading out of bounds. The reciever ran out of bounds on his own accord and then re-entered the field and caught the ball.

The officals ruled that since the player in "out of bounds" the ball was then out of bounds when the player caught it. The recieveing team got the ball on the 40. I'd have thought this would have been a penality on the recieveing team for illegal touching.

Whats the general thought?
Old Mon Oct 11, 2004, 02:28pm
Official Forum Member

There's no such thing as illegal touching by the defense.
Old Mon Oct 11, 2004, 02:54pm
Official Forum Member

I saw the play... you didn't quite describe it correctly.

A kickoff bounced and rolled toward the sideline. The receiver ran out of bounds and then, while he still had one food out of bounds, reached into the field of play to grab the kick, which was rolling around a few feet from the sideline. A loose ball that touches a player who is out of bounds is itself out of bounds. Thus, it's a kick out of bounds, and a penalty on the kickers. There's no foul for illegal touching because the receiver never re-entered the field of play... he went out of bounds and stayed there, which is legal.

Smart play, since this happened at about the 7 yard line, and the penalty put the ball at the 40.
Old Mon Oct 11, 2004, 03:22pm
Official Forum Member

In the CaseBook 6.1.8 Situation C it states that as long as the ball has not crossed the plane of the sideline, R is responsible for putting the ball out of bounds. I would rule that R had caused the ball to be out of bounds in the game on Sunday night based on the location of the ball.

Old Tue Oct 12, 2004, 10:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ZMan
In the CaseBook 6.1.8 Situation C it states that as long as the ball has not crossed the plane of the sideline, R is responsible for putting the ball out of bounds. I would rule that R had caused the ball to be out of bounds in the game on Sunday night based on the location of the ball.

Under NFL and NCAA the plane of the sideline is of no importance. The touching by the receiver who was OOB makes the ball OOB and the kickers are responsible.