The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Aug 13, 2008, 12:15pm
Official Forum Member

I look at it like this ... if you can get where you need to and do the job you are supposed to do and not take short cuts just because your heavy or older or whatever then good for you . However when being considered for things if you come to a point where their are two equally good umpires and one is "more fit" than the other then you have to understand that its an appearence factor. but like I said previously if you can get around the field: be where you need to be when your supposed to be there then more power to you.

For all those who don't know ... Ed Hickox is the MAN

NFHS NCAA PONY ASA ISC USSSA
Old Wed Aug 13, 2008, 01:36pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RPatrino Send a message via Yahoo to RPatrino
From what I understand, you don't make it to a LL regional without having gone to one of their week long umpire schools. So, my assumption is that all those who are working these games have had that training. You get trained the "LL" way, which is what they want.

-----------------------
We are stewards of baseball. Our customers aren't schools or coaches or conferences. Our customer is the game itself.
Old Wed Aug 13, 2008, 05:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPatrino
From what I understand, you don't make it to a LL regional without having gone to one of their week long umpire schools. So, my assumption is that all those who are working these games have had that training. You get trained the "LL" way, which is what they want.
Gee! A whole week's worth of training? That's remarkable! And they are all volunteers, too! (yawn)
Old Wed Aug 13, 2008, 05:44pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
I worked a regional. I've never been to the regional facility. Now, my regional was NOT at the 12-year-old level, so if that what you meant, I don't know if that's true or not.
Old Wed Aug 13, 2008, 06:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Going to training and being trained are two completely different things.
Old Wed Aug 13, 2008, 08:20pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RPatrino Send a message via Yahoo to RPatrino
All, I'm just relaying my impressions of my experience working LL ball, from Minors through Big League. A lot of the decisions are made at the District and Regional HQ level, and each Region makes their own picks for Regional level umpires. I have not seen an umpire selected for the Western Regional games that didn't attended a clinic in San Bernandino. That may not the case in other Regions, or even the 'rule' in the Western Region.

I was not advocating nor evaluating the quality of the training or the graduates of the week long school in the Western Region. I have worked with some of the very best umpires and some of the very worst umpires in LL. I agree with Brian, however, that 'attending' a training does not equate to being qualified.

-----------------------
We are stewards of baseball. Our customers aren't schools or coaches or conferences. Our customer is the game itself.
Old Thu Aug 14, 2008, 01:14am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by briancurtin
Going to training and being trained are two completely different things.
Based on the guys I've worked with, definitely agreed. Being in the West I would say that going to school in San Bernardino, while not stated, is almost certainly a requirement for working a regional in San Bernardino. Then again that level is by far the most popular in terms of applications from umpires. Once a district administrator approves an umpire's regional or World Series application, the decisions are made by the region or Williamsport, respectively. I would guess that if the people at regional HQ have seen you at their school they have some idea of your abilities and commitment to umpiring. Of course, we know how that goes sometimes...

Just this year an umpire I know went to an upper level regional without going to LL school. I have also been to a regional, but not school. It definitely is not required for other levels.