The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jul 29, 2008, 11:54am
Official Forum Member

Laid Back Ejection Signal

I've seen a growing trend this year that MLB umpires use a casual wave/point to the dugout when ejecting a manager or player. This is happening when while the player, coach, or manager is screaming at them.

Are umpires doing this because they refuse to be part of the manager's show? Or is it sending a message that "you are not worth the time or effort for me to give you the big heave-ho."

Have/will any of you try this mechanic the next time you have to take out the trash?
Old Tue Jul 29, 2008, 12:11pm
Official Forum Member

I have had about half of the ejections that I should or could have. My first two ever were malicious contact ejections, in which you just inform them that they're gone. I prefer to keep good people in a game rather than punish them for an uncharacteristic outburst or personal insult. I do it to preserve order or to rid a contest of a bad person, which is usually an adult coach or adult player (J.C. or 18-over wood batt leagues). My coach and adult player ejections result in an instinctive wave and it seems that it's always been a simple sweeping wave of the left hand with my mask in it. So a little wave of the mask has become the thumb. It's a lot like "It's time to go."

I liked a recent ejection of Joe Maddon (perhaps it's the one you're referring to), in which the veteran umpire listened patiently to what Maddon was hollering, and then when he said something magical, the umpire just pointed like you described, and then the conversation continued for a while longer. No agitation; no theatrics, it was very cool.

Last edited by L.A. Umpire Guy; Tue Jul 29, 2008 at 12:15pm.
Old Tue Jul 29, 2008, 05:00pm
rei

Some ejections I give the big heave ho, usually, when it is a coach arguing balls/strikes at the end of the bench.

But if they are out there yelling at me, a casual one does the trick.
Old Wed Jul 30, 2008, 08:20am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Rcichon
Casual Ej

If said rat is loud and verbally challenging, he will warrant an ej that is visibly and audibly evident to everyone watching.

All others are quiet and not too visibly noticeable.
Old Fri Aug 01, 2008, 10:33pm
Official Forum Member

When the coach or manager is constantly yapping and thinks he is smart, the quick backhanded wave goodbye seems appropriate. A straight on argument and a "you're gone" will do.
Old Sat Aug 02, 2008, 12:19am
Do not give a damn!!

I have noticed the very same thing.

Peace