The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jul 30, 2008, 06:50pm
Official Forum Member

Tough Trip for a MLB/MILB Umpire

According to the MLB and MILB sites, Mike Estabrook worked at 2B in Cleveland on Tueday night, July 29 and then works a NOON game in Pawtucket behind the plate on Wednesday July 30.

Is this a test of endurance before you can become a MLB umpire? Just the logistics of getting from Cleveland at 11PM and arriving in Pawtucket the next morning would baffle me.
Old Wed Jul 30, 2008, 07:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeBallanfant
According to the MLB and MILB sites, Mike Estabrook worked at 2B in Cleveland on Tueday night, July 29 and then works a NOON game in Pawtucket behind the plate on Wednesday July 30.

Is this a test of endurance before you can become a MLB umpire? Just the logistics of getting from Cleveland at 11PM and arriving in Pawtucket the next morning would baffle me.
It's part of the "game" for these guys. In the old days, MiLB guys would work a night game, get in the car and drive 200 miles for a double header the next day. I don't know if they still do this today.
Old Sat Aug 02, 2008, 09:01am
Official Forum Member

MiLB travel

Like Ozzie, I thought I read one time in a paper where the umps had a double header in someplace like Memphis starting at 6:00pm Memphis time (CT) that ended at 12 or 1 in the morning Memphis time, and then they had to drive for a double header in Orlando starting 6:00 pm (EST) and had to be there an hour before game time. Believe I also read in the paper something similar for games in Texas and having to go from one end to the other. But what do I know anyway or remember, cause I'm just a tballump.