The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jul 26, 2008, 07:03pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigUmp56 Send a message via Yahoo to BigUmp56
Pearls from Lou -

""I went out there actually to get my coach off the field. The only thing I mentioned to the umpire was "Why are you so antagonistic?'"

Can anyone say - "bu11$1t"

Tim.
Old Sat Jul 26, 2008, 07:21pm
Official Forum Member

Drake got te call right.
But is he the Steve Javey of major League baseball?
Old Sat Jul 26, 2008, 07:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebra2955
Drake got te call right.
Drake looks like a goof...too much hair and just a little rumpled. Also, the sunglasses on the hat is a very cheesy look.

Joe in Missouri
Old Sat Jul 26, 2008, 08:04pm

Quote:
Drake got te call right.
I think that's an unfair comparison. Javey has the reputation as a hotheaded, playa-hatin', whistle-happy referee who is generally despised.

Drake has only 4 ejections this year, including the 2 today. Before that, he ejected Ozzie Guillen for a prolonged ball/strike argument. He gave Guillen a long leash before he ran him, as he probably knew he had called the pitch wrong. But he didn't just run him the second he came out. His first one was of course his ejection of Sweet Lou, who, after being warned not to come out by 1st base umpire Chad Fairchild not once, not twice, not three times, but four times, Drake took care of the business that for some reason, Fairchild neglected to do. Doesn't sound like a quick trigger to me.

As for today, wouldn't you run the ex-scrub catcher Sinatro for slamming his helmet on the ground and then charging you? And I'm sure Piniella was just as nice and polite as he is in his Aquafina commercial. Yeah, right.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Sat Jul 26, 2008, 08:07pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwwashburn
Drake looks like a goof...too much hair and just a little rumpled. Also, the sunglasses on the hat is a very cheesy look.

Joe in Missouri
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Sat Jul 26, 2008, 08:21pm
Official Forum Member

Question Snagwells - johnSandlin & jwwashburn ?????

Snagwells - What is “My money is on Lorothian trying to make it seem like Lorothian is not alone.” Supposed to mean?? Since I think the original comment you MIGHT BE referring to was before mine.

johnSandlin - Where is the “I say both of the posters putting Drake under the bus are dumb.” I DON’T SEE a comment that says anything about putting DRAKE “… under a bus…”. Maybe send him back where he belongs in the minors, rather than doing “The Show”. And if you agree with Snagwells, then what are you basing your comment on, since Snagwells was BASELESS.

Jwwashburn - “I am still wondering what caused Sinatro to have an aneurysm.” In looking at the replays, it looks like Drake is pulling the trigger for the out before the ball was in the glove. Probably the same thing he saw, and maybe heard out of Drake.

To all - Is that what Drake has been taught? Be quick on the trigger on making calls and throwing coaches and managers? As I never had those teachings while at any of the umpire schools/training that I have attended during my 20 plus years of doing such. It was always - See the play, See the play, make a decision, reply the play in your mind, then MAKE THE CALL. DO NOT Guess the call, especially an out.

Last edited by Lorothian; Sat Jul 26, 2008 at 08:30pm.
Old Sat Jul 26, 2008, 09:03pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorothian
Snagwells - What is “My money is on Lorothian trying to make it seem like Lorothian is not alone.” Supposed to mean?? Since I think the original comment you MIGHT BE referring to was before mine.

johnSandlin - Where is the “I say both of the posters putting Drake under the bus are dumb.” I DON’T SEE a comment that says anything about putting DRAKE “… under a bus…”. Maybe send him back where he belongs in the minors, rather than doing “The Show”. And if you agree with Snagwells, then what are you basing your comment on, since Snagwells was BASELESS.

Jwwashburn - “I am still wondering what caused Sinatro to have an aneurysm.” In looking at the replays, it looks like Drake is pulling the trigger for the out before the ball was in the glove. Probably the same thing he saw, and maybe heard out of Drake.

To all - Is that what Drake has been taught? Be quick on the trigger on making calls and throwing coaches and managers? As I never had those teachings while at any of the umpire schools/training that I have attended during my 20 plus years of doing such. It was always - See the play, See the play, make a decision, reply the play in your mind, then MAKE THE CALL. DO NOT Guess the call, especially an out.
'

And ignore assistants slamming their helmets on the ground? Good schoolin' you gots there.
Old Sat Jul 26, 2008, 09:11pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
SnaQwells - What is “My money is on Lorothian trying to make it seem like Lorothian is not alone.” Supposed to mean?? Since I think the original comment you MIGHT BE referring to was before mine.
I really doubt you're that stupid, but just in case....

I think you two are one and the same. Which comment came first in this thread is of no consequence.

Just in case I wasn't clear enough, I'll write it slower and in big bright letters:

I think you two are one and the same.
Old Sat Jul 26, 2008, 10:02pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to johnSandlin Send a message via Yahoo to johnSandlin
Lorothian,

Obviously MLB feels Drake is doing his job and doing it right, otherwise he would be back in the minors or released from his umpiring duties.
Old Sat Jul 26, 2008, 10:31pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to SouthsiderRoss
Cool

Gentlemen,

I saw the play, and I think that Drake made a great call. He should have thrown both guys out, you don't go out there like a little baby and argue something that close. It is a judgment call. I don't need a replay telling me that I'm wrong, it is so close that a human has to trust what he sees and calls it. Sometimes I think fans might be happier with cameras calling the game and robots calling the strike zone. Good call, Rob Drake. Lou, he's not an antagonist (nor do I think he has a vendetta), you are just a bitter old man whose team will never win the World Series. I'm glad I found this site---I umpire for ages 12-18 and I am a patched umpire.

Best,
-Ross

P.S. Is there a way that I could email or get in contact with Mr. Drake? His email is no longer working and he doesn't frequent this board often. Thanks in advance.
Old Sun Jul 27, 2008, 01:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
As I never had those teachings while at any of the umpire schools/training that I have attended during my 20 plus years of doing such.
Umpire school? It is to laugh.
Old Sun Jul 27, 2008, 06:05am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Drake got te call right.
Steve Javie is a well respected NBA official and routinely earns finals assignments. Yes, Steve was once known to have a quick trigger, but not now. Are you saying that Drake should, and does, routinely earn trips to the WS?
Old Sun Jul 27, 2008, 09:58am
Official Forum Member

Steve Javey also earned a MiLB evaluation full of "5's".

I don't think there are any posters on this board who can claim that.

(And if I have to explain what a "5" is on a MiLB evaluation, or the difficulty of earning one, then you really don't know what you are talking about)
Old Sun Jul 27, 2008, 11:07am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthsiderRoss
Gentlemen,

I saw the play, and I think that Drake made a great call. He should have thrown both guys out, you don't go out there like a little baby and argue something that close. It is a judgment call. I don't need a replay telling me that I'm wrong, it is so close that a human has to trust what he sees and calls it. Sometimes I think fans might be happier with cameras calling the game and robots calling the strike zone. Good call, Rob Drake. Lou, he's not an antagonist (nor do I think he has a vendetta), you are just a bitter old man whose team will never win the World Series. I'm glad I found this site---I umpire for ages 12-18 and I am a patched umpire.

Best,
-Ross

P.S. Is there a way that I could email or get in contact with Mr. Drake? His email is no longer working and he doesn't frequent this board often. Thanks in advance.
Let me guess. You're a Sox Fan.
Old Sun Jul 27, 2008, 11:20am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TussAgee11
In the words of Bill Haller to Earl Weaver,

"You run yourself".

Same applies here. Drake didn't get anybody. They got themselves.