The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jul 25, 2008, 01:08pm
Stop staring at me swan.

i guess i understand that...but the fact that managers had to basically call and complain, then trump the ejections, the reinstate them...I don't know...seems odd to me...somewhat tough on the umpires too...so you ejected somebody, now they get to come back in and play in that same game? I guess I'll never have to worry about it since I'll never work MLB at any level...if that ever happens to me, I'm leaving...they can get some other sucker to come in there and work the game.
Old Fri Jul 25, 2008, 01:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spence
I don't buy that. They ultimately ended up getting between them anyways. They just waited too long (or at least the younger one did).

Admittedly, even if they did get between them, I'm not sure what they could have done to get them to quit jawing with each other.

What would you have done to try to mitigate the problem?
Since I am not a Minor League Ump I'm not sure what I would do. I am sure these guys are trained what they can and can't do in a potentionally violent situation so I'm not going to Mon. night QB them. In the High School age that I work I may try to stand between them, but I am not going to put my hands on them, and If I see that blows are about to be exchanged I'm out of harms way and writing numbers and names and getting someone to call the Police.
I am not there to break up fights. I do that at my full time job. Luckilly I don't Umpire in the same Jurisdiction that I work, so according to my Dept I am expected to call 911 only.
Old Fri Jul 25, 2008, 02:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyg08
i guess i understand that...but the fact that managers had to basically call and complain, then trump the ejections, the reinstate them...I don't know...seems odd to me...somewhat tough on the umpires too...so you ejected somebody, now they get to come back in and play in that same game?
That's the appropriate process. The managers contact the league president if they wish to appeal the ejectons to allow the game to continue.

The umpires did their job, now the league president does his.

Those ejections reinstated are accompanied by fines and suspensions. A fine to a Single A player and manager is more consequential than one to a ML player or manager.
Old Fri Jul 25, 2008, 02:26pm
Veteran College Umpire

It's not a great video, but here's some of it -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e36dZ...eature=related

I know the plate umpire - once things settle down I'll see what I can find out -

JJ
Old Fri Jul 25, 2008, 04:16pm
Official Forum Member

"Things got heated in a hurry at Fifth Third Field when Castillo (0-2) beaned Dayton shortstop Zachary Kozart with one on and no outs in the opening frame.

Kozart left the game
"

Considering there was a HBP in the top half, I would probably on my toes.

"but the hostility started to build when Brandon Waring grounded a ball past Castillo toward second baseman Gian Guzman. Castillo and Guzman collided as Waring reached base safely, but Guzman suffered a broken leg and left the contest on a stretcher.

Denis Phipps followed with a two-run double and Devin Mesoraco added a two-RBI base hit to give the Dragons a 4-0 lead. Angel Cabrera, who had lifted the Dragons to a 4-3 victory with a walk-off homer in the bottom of the ninth on Wednesday night, was plunked by Castillo."

Castillo should've been tossed. Probably the manager as well.

"An agitated Cabrera took first base and Keltavious Jones grounded into a force play, but the Chiefs took exception to Cabrera's hard slide into shortstop Nate Samson."

Cabrera is now done, or at least warned. The rest of the game should now go off without any problems.

http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/n...milb&fext=.jsp
Old Fri Jul 25, 2008, 06:50pm
Official Forum Member

I am listening to the game right now...I checked the box score-there were three HPB the night before.

The Peoria announcer is about three hundred times better than i would have expected a Single A Radio guy to be but, he said nothing about the second HPB in the bottom of the first.

Here comes the hard slide...he does not even mention it was a hard slide.

Now, during the next batter, he says that the "Umpire" was pointint towards the Chiefs dugout and bullpen....then all hell breaks lose. Pick it up at about 46:00 ...you have to register but it is free. http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/m...8&ymd=20080724 click on the little speaker by the Peoria game.

Joe In Missouri
Old Sat Jul 26, 2008, 08:19am
Official Forum Member

Mr. Umpire is right. Though rare, League Presidents have rescinded ejections in the past to allow a game to finish...and then subsequently handed out fines and suspensions to all. Usually the suspensions are staggered. Unlike MLB...there is no appeal process in MiLB so any suspensions will have to be served when they are told to serve them.

I will add that the last time I heard of this, the President rescinded the ejections but required both teams to remain in he clubhouse except for the manager and the players actually in the game.

With the amount of press this is getting, I'd be shocked if there aren't a lot of suspensions/fines...and a few of them healthy too.
Old Sat Jul 26, 2008, 02:56pm
Official Forum Member

They had enough players

Listening to the webcast...Peoria had reported their subs. They had pitchers playing two outfield slots and the announcer said that Dayton woul be doing the same. The pitcher was warming up then the umpires headed into the Dayton dugout. Maybe they had just gotten the phone call?

If the League President actually nixed the ejections, that is a horrible thing to do. Someone could defend him if the teams did not have enough players-but they DID!

Anyway, the delay AFTER the subs came onto the field and the umps went into the Dayton dugout was at least 20 minutes...I did not time it. From the Brawl until the resumption of play was over an hour.

Joe in Missouri

PS Another tidbit was that the Cabrera slide into second was "spikes high". Of course that should be an ejection if it happened. But, this announcer did not say a WORD about the slide until after the brawl.
Old Sun Jul 27, 2008, 02:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spence
In the video I saw, it seems like the umpires were hesitant at first to get between the two coaches.

http://www.daytondailynews.com/m/con...tid=1688297742

In 20/20 hindsight,could this have been handled better by the umpires?
IMO, their biggest mistake was waiting around to let the teams call the League President. I would have gotten the ejected players out of there and started the game. If managers didnt' want to field the team, then a forfeit would be in order.
Old Sun Jul 27, 2008, 02:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeBallanfant
IMO, their biggest mistake was waiting around to let the teams call the League President.
That is their right.

Quote:
I would have gotten the ejected players out of there and started the game. If managers didnt' want to field the team, then a forfeit would be in order.
No you wouldn't. Not if you were a minor leaguge umpire who wanted to keep his job.