The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jun 30, 2008, 11:05am
Official Forum Member

I really dislike USSSA's new courtesy runner rule!

Mostly a rant. You have been warned.

USSSA rule 8.04B.2 states that a team that is batting a continuous line-up (everyone on the roster bats), the courtesy runner (for pitcher or catcher) shall be the player whom recorded the previous out. If no outs have been recorded in the game, it shall be the previous batter not on base. If a courtesy runner is determined ineligible, a proper replacement will be used without penalty.

Courtesy runners were originally an idea to help speed up the game: Get the catcher off the bases and into his gear or getting the pitcher ready for his warmups the next inning. However, with this new rule, this is what I'm seeing: Pitcher, batting third, grounds out. Catcher, batting fourth, hits safely. Pitcher now courtesy runs for the catcher. Even one better: Both pitcher and catcher hit safely, but pitcher throw out trying to score. Pitcher then immediately goes to courtesy run for the catcher.

Furthermore, in a particualary long inning, coaches are scrambling to remember who made the last out. Sometimes that last out was made in the previous inning! And what happens if you put the wrong kid out there? Nothing. Just replace him with the proper courtesy runner. So some dishonest coaches "mistakenly" are putting their fastest kid on base to courtesy run since there is no penalty if their "mistake" is discovered.

Okay, rant over. Discuss.
Old Mon Jun 30, 2008, 11:10am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoBits

USSSA rule 8.04B.2 states that a team that is batting a continuous line-up (everyone on the roster bats), the courtesy runner (for pitcher or catcher) shall be the player whom recorded the previous out. If no outs have been recorded in the game, it shall be the previous batter not on base. If a courtesy runner is determined ineligible, a proper replacement will be used without penalty.

Courtesy runners were originally an idea to help speed up the game: Get the catcher off the bases and into his gear or getting the pitcher ready for his warmups the next inning. However, with this new rule, this is what I'm seeing: Pitcher, batting third, grounds out. Catcher, batting fourth, hits safely. Pitcher now courtesy runs for the catcher. Even one better: Both pitcher and catcher hit safely, but pitcher throw out trying to score. Pitcher then immediately goes to courtesy run for the catcher.

Furthermore, in a particualary long inning, coaches are scrambling to remember who made the last out. Sometimes that last out was made in the previous inning! And what happens if you put the wrong kid out there? Nothing. Just replace him with the proper courtesy runner. So some dishonest coaches "mistakenly" are putting their fastest kid on base to courtesy run since there is no penalty if their "mistake" is discovered.

Makes so sense to run for the pitcher. The only one they should run for is F2.

But, you are correct. As long as there is no penalty, there will be coaches who find a way to abuse the rule.

Thansk
David
Old Mon Jun 30, 2008, 01:52pm
Official Forum Member

u-trip has rules?

who knew?
Old Tue Jul 01, 2008, 12:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

What's the problem? You getting beat by pitchers who are courtesy running for catcher's that followed them in the lineup?
Old Tue Jul 01, 2008, 07:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DG
What's the problem? You getting beat by pitchers who are courtesy running for catcher's that followed them in the lineup?
Long time ump here, DG. Not a rat.
Old Tue Jul 01, 2008, 01:27pm
Official Forum Member

I agree with TwoBits completely.
Old Tue Jul 01, 2008, 11:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Long time ump here, DG. Not a rat.
So why do you care? When I was a coach, a long time ago, I learned the rules I needed to play by, and played by them. Sometimes we win because of it.

I don't like the designated hitter rule in the American League, but it doesn't stop me from watching games on TV.

Last edited by DG; Tue Jul 01, 2008 at 11:28pm.
Old Wed Jul 02, 2008, 09:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DG
So why do you care? When I was a coach, a long time ago, I learned the rules I needed to play by, and played by them. Sometimes we win because of it.
Read my OP, DG. I'll review and explain the high points:

Courtesy runners were originally an idea to help speed up the game.
This rules does not do that because "Pitcher now courtesy runs for the catcher" or "In a particualary long inning, coaches are scrambling to remember who made the last out."

What happens if you put the wrong kid out there? Nothing. Just replace him with the proper courtesy runner. So some dishonest coaches "mistakenly" are putting their fastest kid on base to courtesy run since there is no penalty if their "mistake" is discovered.
This is encouraging blatant cheating by some coaches. I see this as being similar to a coach switching his runners during a defensive conference so that the faster one has a better chance of scoring. That move has been discussed on this board many times in the agreement that outs and possible ejections occur when it happens.
Old Wed Jul 02, 2008, 09:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Read my OP, DG. I'll review and explain the high points:

Courtesy runners were originally an idea to help speed up the game.
This rules does not do that because "Pitcher now courtesy runs for the catcher" or "In a particualary long inning, coaches are scrambling to remember who made the last out."

What happens if you put the wrong kid out there? Nothing. Just replace him with the proper courtesy runner. So some dishonest coaches "mistakenly" are putting their fastest kid on base to courtesy run since there is no penalty if their "mistake" is discovered.
This is encouraging blatant cheating by some coaches. I see this as being similar to a coach switching his runners during a defensive conference so that the faster one has a better chance of scoring. That move has been discussed on this board many times in the agreement that outs and possible ejections occur when it happens.
I think the original intent of the CR rule is to get more participation for non-starters, since it rarely speeds up the game.

The second issue is just coaching. Any coach worth his salt has a scorekeeper who will immediately feed him the information he needs. Anything less is poor head coach. Blatant cheating is another subject.
Old Thu Jul 03, 2008, 09:26am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DG
The second issue is just coaching. Any coach worth his salt has a scorekeeper who will immediately feed him the information he needs. Anything less is poor head coach. Blatant cheating is another subject.
Agreed on that. While I've suspected that the wrong CR has been used, its something that should be brought to my attention by the scorekeeper.
Old Thu Jul 03, 2008, 10:02am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Agreed on that. While I've suspected that the wrong CR has been used, its something that should be brought to my attention by the scorekeeper.
Are u seriously asking for help from the scorekeeper???!!!!

The scorekeeper should be there to keep score, certainly not be an alternate official. Would you want the scorekeeper alerting you (or either team) of a BOOO situation? I think not. And certainly not inserting himself in keeping track of CR's.
Old Thu Jul 03, 2008, 09:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxUmp
Are u seriously asking for help from the scorekeeper???!!!!

The scorekeeper should be there to keep score, certainly not be an alternate official. Would you want the scorekeeper alerting you (or either team) of a BOOO situation? I think not. And certainly not inserting himself in keeping track of CR's.
Haven't coached in awhile but I always wanted a good scorekeeper. For a good one I would EXPECT help. The job description requires it and I explain this very carefully before we get started with a season. If I can't get help during a game I have the wrong scorekeeper. I want him (or her) to tell me, without me asking, of any substitution issues, including BOO and wrong CR. I want him, if I ask, to tell me what the current batter has done his last at bat, or the one before, where he hit the ball, fly ball or ground ball, what the count was, what the next batter did his last time up. A real good scorekeeper will tell me what the pitch was that the guy up hit out of the park his last at bat, although I probably know that.

The score is the least of my worries, and usually kept on the scoreboard. Oh, if the scoreboard is not right I EXPECT my scorekeeper to alert me to this also.

I am speaking from coach perspective here. From umpire perspective, the scorekeeper, and assistants don't exist.
Old Fri Jul 04, 2008, 08:26am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxUmp
Are u seriously asking for help from the scorekeeper???!!!!.
He's asking about the TEAM's scorekeeper (a member of teh coaching staff, sitting on the bench, ...) He's not asking about the Official Scorer (sitting in the press box, not related to either team, ...)

Sometimes those roles get blurred during youth games.
Old Mon Jul 07, 2008, 10:03am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins
He's asking about the TEAM's scorekeeper (a member of teh coaching staff, sitting on the bench, ...) He's not asking about the Official Scorer (sitting in the press box, not related to either team, ...)

Sometimes those roles get blurred during youth games.
Thanks, Bob, that's what I meant. Remember in a lot of youth games, the home team's book keeper is used as the offical scorekeeper, although the visiting team should keep a second book in case a mistake is made in the "offical" book.
Old Mon Jul 07, 2008, 01:43pm
Official Forum Member

I love how they say this whole courtesy runner BS is meant to save time. We had a tournament game a few years ago where the person who was taken out for a courtesy runner did not put the gear on to catch the next half inning. 30 minutes of arguing and appealing to the site convenor took place, and the game was played under protest (protest was not upheld). So much for saving 35 seconds.