View Single Post
Old Wed Jul 02, 2008, 09:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoBits
Read my OP, DG. I'll review and explain the high points:

Courtesy runners were originally an idea to help speed up the game.
This rules does not do that because "Pitcher now courtesy runs for the catcher" or "In a particualary long inning, coaches are scrambling to remember who made the last out."

What happens if you put the wrong kid out there? Nothing. Just replace him with the proper courtesy runner. So some dishonest coaches "mistakenly" are putting their fastest kid on base to courtesy run since there is no penalty if their "mistake" is discovered.
This is encouraging blatant cheating by some coaches. I see this as being similar to a coach switching his runners during a defensive conference so that the faster one has a better chance of scoring. That move has been discussed on this board many times in the agreement that outs and possible ejections occur when it happens.
I think the original intent of the CR rule is to get more participation for non-starters, since it rarely speeds up the game.

The second issue is just coaching. Any coach worth his salt has a scorekeeper who will immediately feed him the information he needs. Anything less is poor head coach. Blatant cheating is another subject.