The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jul 10, 2008, 07:31am
M.A.S.H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelVA2000
A lot of the MLB umpires have gone to the New Balance 450 plate and 350 base shoes. I wear both and find them very comfortable.
Same here and I completely agree.
Old Thu Jul 10, 2008, 12:38pm
Official Forum Member

There is only on down side to the NB 450 plate shoe (beside the silver N) and that is the laces they come with. I have yet to talk to someone who hasn't broken them within the first few times of wearing them. I found the heavy waxed cord style that is sold by any RedWing shoe store is a great replacement lace.
Old Thu Jul 10, 2008, 12:46pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to swkansasref33
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrm21711
An experienced poster indicated the Reebok shoes will be available for the 09 season. He indicated the shoes available to the general public would not be a steel toe shoe, but a "hard toe" like the much criticized Spot-Bilt plate shoes. Apparently, the current plate shoes the MLB guys are wearing are steel toe.

As an aside - does anybody know if the current Reebok base shoes worn by most MLB guys are available for sale anywhere? I cant seem to find them.
are these what your are lookin for?
http://refereescall.com/proddetail.php?prod=SH23&cat=19
Old Thu Jul 10, 2008, 01:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klokard
There is only on down side to the NB 450 plate shoe (beside the silver N) and that is the laces they come with. I have yet to talk to someone who hasn't broken them within the first few times of wearing them. I found the heavy waxed cord style that is sold by any RedWing shoe store is a great replacement lace.
Ive never had a durability problem with the New Balance shoes but I can tell they arent nearly as durable as the old Plus Pos plate shoes. Ill probably only get three years MAX out of my 450s.
Old Thu Jul 10, 2008, 03:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrm21711
Ive never had a durability problem with the New Balance shoes but I can tell they arent nearly as durable as the old Plus Pos plate shoes. Ill probably only get three years MAX out of my 450s.
Those old +pos would last forever!!!
Old Thu Jul 10, 2008, 04:22pm
Official Forum Member

I'll concur with the durability. My +POS shoes are like the Volvo of plate shoes. Utilitarian, and hard to kill.

The 450's are like my Escalade. It may not last as long as my wife's Volvo, but it's a whole lot nicer while it does. My +POS have stayed in the closet next to my GD patent leathers all season, they're that nice.

Last edited by kylejt; Sun Jul 13, 2008 at 03:17pm.
Old Sun Jul 13, 2008, 12:30am
Official Forum Member

Hey all,

I managed to get a pair of the +POS low top plate shoes not long before they went under. Not too bad on comfort (for what they are), and outstanding protection.

LomUmp
Old Tue Jul 22, 2008, 02:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klokard
Please don't take this as gospel but I doubt the MLB guys are wearing a convertible shoe. Why would they want the added weight of a steel toe while on the bases? Even if they can remove the instep and metatarsal protection plate, they would still be heavy and uncomfortable I do see alot of them have gone to the Reebok plate shoe that is not available to the public yet. Just like the Nike titanium mask. They want the fever to buy real high so when they are released they can charge an arm and a leg for them. Again, just my dos pesos.
Well, you were right. I'm $300 lighter from the mask and shoes.