The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   plate shoes (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/45993-plate-shoes.html)

johnSandlin Thu Jul 03, 2008 01:37pm

plate shoes

I know this topic was discussed quite recently, but I could not find the post.

Does anyone know about the convertible plate/base shoes the MLB umpires are wearing?

I need to replace both my plate and base shoes for next season.

Thanks for the help.

MichaelVA2000 Thu Jul 03, 2008 02:15pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnSandlin
I know this topic was discussed quite recently, but I could not find the post.

Does anyone know about the convertible plate/base shoes the MLB umpires are wearing?

I need to replace both my plate and base shoes for next season.

Thanks for the help.

A lot of the MLB umpires have gone to the New Balance 450 plate and 350 base shoes. I wear both and find them very comfortable.

Klokard Thu Jul 03, 2008 03:38pm

Please don't take this as gospel but I doubt the MLB guys are wearing a convertible shoe. Why would they want the added weight of a steel toe while on the bases? Even if they can remove the instep and metatarsal protection plate, they would still be heavy and uncomfortable I do see alot of them have gone to the Reebok plate shoe that is not available to the public yet. Just like the Nike titanium mask. They want the fever to buy real high so when they are released they can charge an arm and a leg for them. Again, just my dos pesos.

johnSandlin Thu Jul 03, 2008 03:43pm

Klokard,

I was thinking along the same lines you mentioned, but it never hurts to ask though, especially when you are trying replace gear with prices no a days.

Lawrence.Dorsey Thu Jul 03, 2008 03:50pm

John,

Maybe you are thinking about the Reebok shoe that is being tested by some MLB umpires? I don't think they are convertible. I think the description of them was that they are basically the current Reebok base shoe with some sort of reinforced toe (not sure if they are steel or hard plastic) and a metatarsal plate sewn on.

Lawrence

mrm21711 Thu Jul 03, 2008 04:00pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lawrence.Dorsey
John,

Maybe you are thinking about the Reebok shoe that is being tested by some MLB umpires? I don't think they are convertible. I think the description of them was that they are basically the current Reebok base shoe with some sort of reinforced toe (not sure if they are steel or hard plastic) and a metatarsal plate sewn on.

Lawrence

The Reebok plate shoes many MLB umpires are wearing is not a convertible shoe. The plate shoe is scheduled to be available to the public next season.

swkansasref33 Wed Jul 09, 2008 05:09pm

I know you said next season, but do you have a rough date or month that they will be available?

kylejt Wed Jul 09, 2008 05:29pm

Get the New Balance shoes, trust me.

MajorDave Wed Jul 09, 2008 07:04pm

Amen to the NB 450's

Buy that shoe. Get the right size and you will be a happy umpire as far as your feet go. They shine very nicely. I blacked out the N and get a lot of complements on my shoe appearance. My feet thank me every night after games. I also have the 350 high top base shoes. Very comfortable. Worth every penny. I promise. (as long as they are fitted correctly.)

etn_ump Wed Jul 09, 2008 07:44pm

New Balance 450's!

mick Wed Jul 09, 2008 10:06pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by etn_ump
New Balance 450's!

I had a new and unexpected experience last week with my NB450's.
I don't remember if the ball was deflected or not, but the ball hit squarely on the welt at my left big toe and stung for about 1/2 an inning.
...But it didn't leave a mark. :)

FTVMartin Wed Jul 09, 2008 10:10pm

Gerry Davis has a plate shoe called the protector. It is very similar to the NB but cheper and patent leather. I was sceptical of it but decided to try it this year and really like it.

mrm21711 Thu Jul 10, 2008 02:14am

Quote:

Originally Posted by swkansasref33
I know you said next season, but do you have a rough date or month that they will be available?

An experienced poster indicated the Reebok shoes will be available for the 09 season. He indicated the shoes available to the general public would not be a steel toe shoe, but a "hard toe" like the much criticized Spot-Bilt plate shoes. Apparently, the current plate shoes the MLB guys are wearing are steel toe.

As an aside - does anybody know if the current Reebok base shoes worn by most MLB guys are available for sale anywhere? I cant seem to find them.

kcg NC2Ablu Thu Jul 10, 2008 05:38am

the nb450's are fantastic shoes you can get them on ebay for 88 and that includes the shipping.... thats where I got mine:cool:

etn_ump Thu Jul 10, 2008 06:33am

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrm21711
The Reebok plate shoes many MLB umpires are wearing is not a convertible shoe. The plate shoe is scheduled to be available to the public next season.

The Reebok shoe has way, way too much white on it for my liking.