The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Dec 13, 2007, 08:40am
Official Forum Member

New Plate Shoes

I am looking to buy new plates shoes. What is the prevailing opinion? I have been looking at tanel 360*. Does anyone own these shoes? Do you like them?
Old Thu Dec 13, 2007, 09:53am
Official Forum Member

As with any piece of equipment, comfort, fit and function can be a highly personal choice. One man's meat...

I have used the Tanel 360 plate shoes for three seasons. They fit me well, are lightweight, provide good traction, polish-up fine, allow mobility, have prevented injuries to my feet and are as comfortable as a pair of sneakers.

Aesthetically, I prefer their sleek look to the "Frankenstein boots" appearance of a heavier shoe.

But that's just me...your mileage may vary.
Old Thu Dec 13, 2007, 10:02am
Official Forum Member

I found the steel toe of the Tanel to be too confining. The front of my feet are thicker, I guess, than their toe box allows for. The top of my foot rubbed on the edge of the steel toe where it transitioned to the shoe top. I had to return mine. I got outstanding customer service from Tanel Co, though. They actually invited me to their HQ to try on various sizes in their warehouse in an attempt to find a good fit. (I live only about 25 miles from their HQ).
Old Thu Dec 13, 2007, 10:39am
Official Forum Member

I have their base shoe and LOVE them. I am also getting close to having to give in and buy a new pair of plate shoes, I currently have POS low tops but am seriously considering getting Tanel's based on the good luck I had with the base shoes!
Old Thu Dec 13, 2007, 11:02am
Official Forum Member

I wore the Tanel 360s for about three years...

Much like Bret, I thought they fit well, provided good protection, and were comfortable to wear. I replaced them about two seasons ago because the molded sole cleats had worn down enough to affect the traction.

Compared to some of the other options out there, I thought the Tanels were pricey.

The last time I bought plate shoes, I bought these: The Protector

Inexpensive, but still comfortable and not too heavy..I like them.
Old Thu Dec 13, 2007, 11:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota
I found the steel toe of the Tanel to be too confining. The front of my feet are thicker, I guess, than their toe box allows for. The top of my foot rubbed on the edge of the steel toe where it transitioned to the shoe top. I had to return mine. I got outstanding customer service from Tanel Co, though. They actually invited me to their HQ to try on various sizes in their warehouse in an attempt to find a good fit. (I live only about 25 miles from their HQ).
I have never used the Tanel plate shoe, however, I had a friend who bought a pair last year and had pretty much the same problem that Tom had. He had to return them as well.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Thu Dec 13, 2007, 11:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skahtboi
I have never used the Tanel plate shoe, however, I had a friend who bought a pair last year and had pretty much the same problem that Tom had. He had to return them as well.
I guess there is more than one escapee from Middle Earth who has taken up umpiring...

Old Thu Dec 13, 2007, 06:31pm
Official Forum Member

Or, maybe...

Old Thu Dec 13, 2007, 10:31pm
Official Forum Member

I was called Fred (as in Flintstone) when I was measured for boots in Basic training. I have worn the Spot built High tops for the past three seasons and will probably never buy a different pair of shoes as long as they are available. Yes they do look like Frankenstein's boots, but they are not nearly as heavy as they appear and do a great job of protecting. They are also built 'deep' enough to allow orthodics and/or inserts if necc.
Old Fri Dec 14, 2007, 12:04am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Mountaineer Send a message via Yahoo to Mountaineer
Quote:
Originally Posted by outathm
I was called Fred (as in Flintstone) when I was measured for boots in Basic training. I have worn the Spot built High tops for the past three seasons and will probably never buy a different pair of shoes as long as they are available. Yes they do look like Frankenstein's boots, but they are not nearly as heavy as they appear and do a great job of protecting. They are also built 'deep' enough to allow orthodics and/or inserts if necc.
I agree, I concur, I think you are correct!

The best part about beating your head against the wall is it feels so good when you stop.
Old Fri Dec 14, 2007, 09:27am
Official Forum Member

Well...believe it or not, I am still using the old Riddell Arbiter. I still have a new pair in the box. When they were getting phased out several years ago, I bought several pair at like $50.00 a pair. (They normally sold for $79.99, I think.) I don't know what I am going to do when I run out of these. Retire, I guess.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Fri Dec 14, 2007, 05:38pm
Official Forum Member

Plate Shoes

I use only Tanels. Have for years. The circular cleat pattern is much easier on my knees than others. For my money, the only shoe to buy. But they only come in D widths. I use the NB base shoes because the tanel base is not wide enough and they are very comfortable with a lot of cushioning. The guys that use their plate shoe swear by them.
Old Fri Dec 14, 2007, 11:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNTXUM P
I use the NB base shoes because the tanel base is not wide enough and they are very comfortable with a lot of cushioning. The guys that use their plate shoe swear by them.

I have used the NB 350 (base shoe) and the NB 450 (plate shoe) since they became available and have been very satisfied. They are comfortable, lightweight and low maintenance. Neither pair has ever had any shoe polish on them. I spray them with mild soapy water and wipe them down. When not in use I keep cedar shoehorns in them that helps maintain their shape as well as absorbing moisture and odors.

Last edited by MichaelVA2000; Sat Dec 15, 2007 at 03:34pm.
Old Sat Dec 15, 2007, 09:57am
Official Forum Member

The best place I have found to look for the shoes after you get the info you want is Ebay. They are not necc. always on there, or in your size, but when they are you will get them at half the cost.

I am also willing to bet if all of the +POS rumors are true there should be some stock coming online there soon.
Old Sat Dec 15, 2007, 11:18am
Official Forum Member

Actually, there's already been a flood of new +POS stock sold on eBay during the past month or two, including several dozen pairs of pants and plate shoes. There was some speculation over on the baseball board that this sell-off was part of their liquidation effort. The sales started a few weeks before the news/rumors of their demise hit the discussion board circuit.

Last edited by BretMan; Sat Dec 15, 2007 at 11:21am.