The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jun 30, 2008, 10:26pm
Official Forum Member

Risky business, how do you check your corner?

Men, I am rolling the dice a little here that I won't get my head chewed off, but I will ask this, and look for some opinions.

Most of my summer baseball is NCAA D3 players and up in wood bat leagues. Great baseball to work, but I am getting a few complaints this year that my outside corner is too big. Heck, I even heard one manager tell his players "he's gonna call strikes". I almost tipped my hat, except I am not sure it was a compliment

I feel that I am very consistent with my zone, and I try to call one baseball off the corner as I see it as a strike (I work the classic heel/toe in the slot position), and I learned in school several centuries ago.

Is my plate to wide? Is it the practice now in NCAA ball to call a tighter zone on the OC? Or is it just more crying by the teams I see?

I run a couple of checks on my zone, and I seem to be where I need to be. My timing is not quick, and I am getting a good look at the pitch.

Any thoughts and criticism appreciated.
Old Mon Jun 30, 2008, 11:43pm
Official Forum Member

Have your conference / Association evaluators told you the zone is too large? I suspect not - it's just fine for NCAA level.

It's just whining because they have to use real bats and can't get away with crappy hitting.
Old Mon Jun 30, 2008, 11:47pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to bobbybanaduck
i don't expect any head chewing from a pretty straightforward post. it appears to me like your self evaluation of being consistent is probably right on, as this guy who told his team you are going to call strikes knows where your zone is from past games. as far as being a compliment...you could take it either way. you're consistent, but he likely thinks you're too big.

now, what to do about it...

i'm sure you've read on here and know from experience that the outside edge of the zone is relative to the umpire, cuz most of us are not set up on that edge, so the outer definition is where the individual perceives it to be. when i feel like i am struggling with that edge (usually due to gripes or from the catcher if i have a good working relationship with him) is to move around a bit before the pitch comes when the catcher moves outside. (i said before the pitch comes because i do not vary my position from the inside edge of the plate.) what am i doing when i move is quickly taking a glance from over the top of him to see where the center of his mitt is sitting in relation to the plate. is it right on it? is off a ball? more? then i get back over to the inside edge and see the pitch. if it sticks where the catcher is set up, i file the look from that spot in my memory bank and use the information i just gathered from taking a peek to help me redefine the outside edge. granted, i'm lucky enough to work ball where the guys hit their spots for the most part, but maybe this would work for you.

another thought is to work with the catcher. if it's a kid you've seen a time or two, ask him. and be honest about it. "shooter, i think i'm getting a tough look at the outside edge. where'd you have that 1-1 pitch to the last kid?" or even be more straight to the point, "shooter, i feel like i'm gettin a good look at the outside edge and consistently calling the same pitches strikes, but, am i giving too much?" if you think he's giving you an answer from a catcher's POV cuz he wants to keep getting that pitch, ask him if he'd be upset if you called that pitch a strike on him. to reiterate the opening thought, this should probably only be done with a catcher you are familiar with.

that's long enough.
Old Tue Jul 01, 2008, 12:21am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RPatrino Send a message via Yahoo to RPatrino
The way I see it is that if you're consistantly calling one ball wide all the time, then you don't have a problem. Like Bobbybanaduck mentions, it might be good to check your 'points of reference', the catcher's location relative to the outside corner. I would also ask your partner's opinion about your zone. I always ask my partners after games about my zone and how they felt it was.

-----------------------
We are stewards of baseball. Our customers aren't schools or coaches or conferences. Our customer is the game itself.
Old Tue Jul 01, 2008, 02:19am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to bobbybanaduck
if the level you are working dictates calling one ball wide, then, by all means, call one ball wide. the problem that seems to be arising in the OP is the perception of what really is one ball wide. if what you think is one ball wide is really more like two, then you've been consistently calling a zone bigger than what you thought.
Old Tue Jul 01, 2008, 10:47am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to charliej47 Send a message via MSN to charliej47 Send a message via Yahoo to charliej47
The last time I got into a discussion about this, I was told that the NCAA is wanting us to open up some and have a wider zone.
Old Tue Jul 01, 2008, 06:21pm
Official Forum Member

Be consistent, I always gave the same amount on each side of the plate and there was no better compliment to me, then to here he has been calling that same pitch all game and you guys still can't figure it out.

Call strikes , call strikes and be consistent. That is what most players and coaches like. More strikes usually results in the bat being swung more. Which usually results in the players deciding the game on their own.

Call strikes and be consistent.
Old Tue Jul 01, 2008, 06:39pm
Official Forum Member

Calling balls and strikes (since your working a high quality of ball I'm assuming your setting up properly etc.) comes down to three important factors: Timing, timing and timing. Master this and you will rarely if ever have a "gross miss". If the guys in the show miss pitches we can too. I don't think I've ever had a game that I didn't have a borderline pitch or two or three that I wouldn't mind having another look at. Inevitably the pitches that I find myself questioning are a result of bad timing.

If you do feel you missed a borderline pitch hopefully you called it a strike
Old Tue Jul 01, 2008, 11:12pm
Official Forum Member

I have been told by some that I call the low strike, consistently. Everyone who knows me knows it, and they adjust.

I have noticed that the higher the level of ball, the tighter the zone. Summer league D3 play should not be so tight.
Old Wed Jul 02, 2008, 08:56am
Official Forum Member

Thanks Men

I appreciate the thoughts.

Socal, where I live, I am the evaluator! I finally found someone to evaluate me, but it has been years since I have had it done. I am looking forward to it.